Iowa Athletics Allowing Alcohol Sales at Kinnick, Carver

Rebuttal would be if revenue wasn't the driving ship then why not do it in the past. Selling alcohol in Iowa venues isn't a new concept. I guess my opinion is had it happened any year other than the year after covid hit and Kinnick went empty I might believe it wasn't about making money. Not only from concessions, but beer sponsorships as well.
Because the past year Iowa, and most other universities, hemorrhaged $$ during COVID. They were forced to finally go down the alcohol route. Of course that is what is driving it.

30% of net profit, breh. They'll use Hollywood accounting and the "donation" won't be paid until they sell $1.3 trillion of beer.

In addition, they pretty much have to do this to leverage the decision to do it. They have to sell the idea to some in the public.

I've heard they are actually donating the $$ to the UofI group that works to battle binge drinking. Kind of funny if you ask me. Kind of like the coyote watching the hen house.

In addition, they pretty much have to do this to leverage the decision to do it. They have to sell the idea to some in the public.

I've heard they are actually donating the $$ to the UofI group that works to battle binge drinking. Kind of funny if you ask me. Kind of like the coyote watching the hen house.

IMHO, the best way to combat binge drinking is to charge $11 for a 16 ounce macro brew. Be sure to remove the cap to lessen the chances of it being used as a projectile. I'll now send the school an invoice for $300k.

Because the past year Iowa, and most other universities, hemorrhaged $$ during COVID. They were forced to finally go down the alcohol route. Of course that is what is driving it.

The other issue is there were NCAA or conference bans on alcohol sales unless the team played in a pro stadium. Those are all lifted now. I remember going to the BTT at the United Center and was livid that they wouldn't sell beer. It's easy to have "morals" like that when revenue looks like a hockey stick for 20 years and then lose them the minute revenue falls and you need to find a new source.

I am reminded of the last time I went to a 2.30 kickoff game. 1st quarter. One large fellow had to be helped out of the stands as he was too drunk to walk. One person was passed out cold and had to be carried out.
Not saying Iowa fans can't handle their alcohol but.....

I am reminded of the last time I went to a 2.30 kickoff game. 1st quarter. One large fellow had to be helped out of the stands as he was too drunk to walk. One person was passed out cold and had to be carried out.
The first 2-3 years are gonna be rough. What happens is people go really fucking hard in the paint at college games because they know they aren't going to be able to drink for 3.5-4 hours so they want a good buzz to carry them through the game. If you have a lot of people in that mindset and they get served 9% double IPAs inside the stadium, it's gonna be sloppy. Plus, coming off a year where no one went to games people are going to be doing 2 years of drinking.

Welcome to literally any P5 stadium with attendance bigger than NW. Apparently you’ve never been to Madison, Columbus, State College, Ann Arbor, etc.

If you think selling booze in the stadium is going to exacerbate it you’re wrong. Dudes getting that hammered already had an 18 pack of Busch Lattes before noon and a couple Jager bombs for good measure, they ain’t standing in line for a half hour to get a a $14 microbrew and all of a sudden they can’t speak English anymore. Whole different demographic.

This deal is to make some bucks off of late 40s former yuppies in North Face gear.

The first 2-3 years are gonna be rough. What happens is people go really fucking hard in the paint at college games because they know they aren't going to be able to drink for 3.5-4 hours so they want a good buzz to carry them through the game. If you have a lot of people in that mindset and they get served 9% double IPAs inside the stadium, it's gonna be sloppy. Plus, coming off a year where no one went to games people are going to be doing 2 years of drinking.
I already did my two years of drinking last year =/

True. My friends and I would power drink before we went into the stadium. Now we won't need to. I'm sure Iowa fans will adapt.

I've done the drinking at a stadium before @ Wrigley Field and the old Homer Dome in Minny. Personally I'd rather drink my cheap horse piss prior to gametime than over-paying for the privilege inside the stands, but that's just me.

I've done the drinking at a stadium before @ Wrigley Field and the old Homer Dome in Minny. Personally I'd rather drink my cheap horse piss prior to gametime than over-paying for the privilege inside the stands, but that's just me.
I have a feeling that’s going to be most people. A $14 Busch Latte tall boy or a $18 shitty IPA aren’t going to appeal to many people other than the douchey puffer vest club.

It was only a matter of time. Iowa needs to make up for missed revenue from last year. It is also an insurance policy for us fans, so when the Hawks are loosing to teams we shouldn't be losing to we can drink our pain away.

The Sally Mason-ites must be rolling in their collective prohibition graves.

Finally, the proles get liquor within the hallowed halls just like the upper crust has for years.

I for one will be glad to not have to side-step a bazillion empty airline liquor bottles after the games from now on.

I for one will be glad to not have to side-step a bazillion empty airline liquor bottles after the games from now on.
Pretty sure this won't change. People will still bring in their liquor since you'll only be able to get a lukewarm Busch Light or probably a Big Grove Boomtown (gotta keep the ABV low) for $8-$12. I'd rather bring in a half-dozen fireball shooters for $6 and keep my buzz going for the game. :)

On the plus side I can't imagine what the closing minutes of a competitive night game are going to sound like. A hostile road environment just got a little crazier.
I have to wonder if they'll stop selling after the 3rd q... Or hell at halftime lol It'll make it wild I'm sure I just hope it doesn't have any really bad ramifications to it. Like fans on the sidelines and crap like that.