Jordan Bohannon Involved in Physical Altercation

Listened to The Washed Up Walk In’s this morning. They think Jbo deserved it. I realize my opinion is just my opinion. I don’t think Jordan is a choir boy I just think he’s not the flawed character he was being painted as on here.

You're getting better!

Listened to The Washed Up Walk In’s this morning. They think Jbo deserved it. I realize my opinion is just my opinion. I don’t think Jordan is a choir boy I just think he’s not the flawed character he was being painted as on here.

I get it. I'm trying to look at it from outside the world of sports, outside of him being a high profile athlete, and from a different perspective. I'm trying to completely isolate the incident and remove all preconceived perceptions I have of him. Ignoring the positives he's done and any on court antics or personality traits that could rub me the wrong way.

You're absolutely right in that I don't know Jordan personally or know anything about him other than he is an athlete for my favorite college basketball and a student athlete (using the term loosely) for my favorite university. So with all that said, and completely willing to admit I may be totally off base, from what I saw in the video alone he (or anyone in that same situation) came across to me as a douche. But again that's only based on that short video with alcohol factored in. Unfortunately though, not knowing at all that's all I can go off of.

That’s a fair assessment. Your posts throughout this thread hasn’t changed my opinion on this, but it has made me re-think some things.

If you're the coolest dude in the world and acted like Jordan that night (allegedly) you "deserved" it. One thing I will say is my thoughts on Jordan aren't near as harsh as my words are making it sounds. Some of that is from trying to make a point, and some is from being lost in translation.

If you're the coolest dude in the world and acted like Jordan that night (allegedly) you "deserved" it. One thing I will say is my thoughts on Jordan aren't near as harsh as my words are making it sounds. Some of that is from trying to make a point, and some is from being lost in translation.
yeah - mine either. You guys think I am upset. I am anything but. I am laughing out loud almost every time I post.

I feel like I normally have a good read on you. But you do seem a bit upset here.
I’m not, I just love to put people on blast people who tear down Iowa Hawkeye athletics or their players. Cause I know the dude on the other end is a turd sandwich. The only reason I come here, it’s not for hard hitting Iowa sports coverage.

There are plenty of guys who put on a good face in front of the camera and check off all the boxes they know they need to. (especially when they're coached and directed to do just that). How many great athletes have we seen look like lovable superstars in front of the camera only to find out later that they routinely beat their wives?

It's possible that a guy can do what he knows he needs to in his job (more than possible...it's highly likely if he's driven by ego and wants to look good) and be a complete asshole in private. But it usually comes out at some point.

I have no idea where JBo falls on this scale. But being a good guy in one snapshot, doesn't necessarily mean you're a good guy in all of 'em.
Shooter McGavin hated old people and dogs IIRC

Seems a bit strange that after it was reported that he had a serious head injury there's been no follow up report.
A slight concussion is probably called a serious head injury. There's probably nothing else to report, injury wise. If they are pursuing charges, they probably want the injury to sound worse too.

I knew a pretty good hand full of football and basketball players during my years in Iowa City. Had many of them in my home. They ran the gambit. Most were pretty good guys, a few...nothing less than punk thugs. Some of the stories I could tell...would incriminate me as much as them. ;) Let's just say the Iowa City boosters were good to have in your court.
Me, too. Not my place to tell most of those stories, though.

This thread really delivers.

I think there may be a lesson lurking here about the dangers of hero worship. The older I've gotten, the more I've found myself being philosophical about who is worthy of being on a pedestal. You see this a lot in sports because so much of what makes a great athlete is set at conception. Yeah, lots of hard work and training goes into really excelling, but you can be a complete asshole AND be really hard working and dedicated to your chosen sport/trade.

With sports figures, we get a really warped view of these guys. We see them in situations where they are being universally adored - arenas full of screaming fans, people lining up for autographs, impromptu public appearances where everyone there wants a selfie with the hero, media coverage that is (necessarily and appropriately) very narrowly focused on sport, etc. We less often get insight into what they are like when they are not in whatever mode they are in when they are getting the Special Treatment.

We put these guys on a high pedestal way too quickly, in other words. It's the risk that comes along with being emotionally invested in something.

You know who is a sports hero? Jackie Fucking Robinson is a hero. Throwing a ball through a hoop doesn't make you a hero. Signing a few autographs and posing for some selfies doesn't make you a hero. Hell, even making visits to a children's hospital doesn't make you a hero. That's a nice thing to do, but I would contend it's still a flavor of Special Treatment that we should all be very hesitant to draw any hard conclusions from.

We should be drawing from a large, diverse body of evidence before declaring someone a hero or role model or whatever. That takes many years and special challenging circumstances. The window we get into what a typical sports figure is like is very narrow. In modern times with slick PR and all that, I would even go as far to call it "controlled", sometimes even "manufacturered". We desperately want these guys to be heroes and role models - the people on the supply side are aware of that and make efforts to paint a picture consistent with that.

This thread really delivers.

I think there may be a lesson lurking here about the dangers of hero worship. The older I've gotten, the more I've found myself being philosophical about who is worthy of being on a pedestal. You see this a lot in sports because so much of what makes a great athlete is set at conception. Yeah, lots of hard work and training goes into really excelling, but you can be a complete asshole AND be really hard working and dedicated to your chosen sport/trade.

With sports figures, we get a really warped view of these guys. We see them in situations where they are being universally adored - arenas full of screaming fans, people lining up for autographs, impromptu public appearances where everyone there wants a selfie with the hero, media coverage that is (necessarily and appropriately) very narrowly focused on sport, etc. We less often get insight into what they are like when they are not in whatever mode they are in when they are getting the Special Treatment.

We put these guys on a high pedestal way too quickly, in other words. It's the risk that comes along with being emotionally invested in something.

You know who is a sports hero? Jackie Fucking Robinson is a hero. Throwing a ball through a hoop doesn't make you a hero. Signing a few autographs and posing for some selfies doesn't make you a hero. Hell, even making visits to a children's hospital doesn't make you a hero. That's a nice thing to do, but I would contend it's still a flavor of Special Treatment that we should all be very hesitant to draw any hard conclusions from.

We should be drawing from a large, diverse body of evidence before declaring someone a hero or role model or whatever. That takes many years and special challenging circumstances. The window we get into what a typical sports figure is like is very narrow. In modern times with slick PR and all that, I would even go as far to call it "controlled", sometimes even "manufacturered". We desperately want these guys to be heroes and role models - the people on the supply side are aware of that and make efforts to paint a picture consistent with that.
Hero worship doesn’t apply here. As a full grown man, I respect the kid. I know what it’s like to be a kid and I’m telling ya, based on every thing I know about Jordan Bohannon, he’s a decent dude. Decent dudes do dumb shit when they’re young. A lot of us fall into that category. If you have nothing you regret you’ve lived a uneventful and boring life. Jordan may have been a little bitch here and it’s bad for his brand and he may have got what he had coming. But he’s not the dirt bag here, and somehow that was getting lost imo. These guys trying to pitch NIL, it makes you an even bigger target, Jordan needs to be cooler than he was that night.

Last edited: