CJ Fredrick

Those two bolded sentences to me indicate a meddling uncle that shouldn't be talking to Iowa staff in the first place. Why is a "kid's" uncle doing this communication and not the "kid"?
I have a boy in college and one who is a Junior in high school. If they asked me or their uncle to get involved with one of their coaches over playing time, or player usage, I would tell them to stop acting like bitches and go work hard and talk to the coach if you want something different. I guess I don't know the situation so it's hard to know for sure, but it sounds like the uncle just needs to stfu and get out of the way.

I have a boy in college and one who is a Junior in high school. If they asked me or their uncle to get involved with one of their coaches over playing time, or player usage, I would tell them to stop acting like bitches and go work hard and talk to the coach if you want something different. I guess I don't know the situation so it's hard to know for sure, but it sounds like the uncle just needs to stfu and get out of the way.
Perhaps CJ's uncle and Liam Robbin's uncle are the same guy, lol!

Why did he feel the need to make that statement in the first place? The need to post something of that nature, makes the whole thing suspicious. He probably tried to push Fran around by threatening with CJ transferring... Just a weird situation all around.

I think coaching/being a player is always going to be challenging. The portal definitely gives more clout to players and likely will make HC's change their approach which is likely a good thing. As long as there is an offspring playing for dad, there will be issues arise, it's just human. Especially when oldest son has so many positive and negative attributes. Patrick is still unknown.

This is so Franesque. Such a great season. So many positives. So many weaknesses. Fran doesn't tend to operate more towards the middle but tends to operate on the edges.

Really, was anyone really surprised the BIG performed as they did when a very slow Iowa team did that well in the Big? When JT looked like he was on fast forward against Big teams is it surprising that the overall lack of quickness in the Big resulted in early outs.

In the end. Great season. Leaves a lot of questions. But since when (except the beginning of this season? is that different? Hawks have some talent. Have glaring weakness. Transition like crazy. Can't stop quick guards.

PM or CM entering the portal would be something different to ponder.
Talk about not much in the middle by Fran, take a look at social media including HN. If you are not face to face with someone, the license to go off the rails is automatic.

Look, if the guy didn't tweet "help is on the way" @ a Kentucky fan, and if Kentucky "insiders" weren't saying CJ will be in the portal, long before he actually was, everyone would be fine with him transferring. Disappointed, sure, but fine. Obviously he was running his mouth, and felt confident Kentucky would take him. Does it mean there was tampering beyond all doubt? No. But it's pretty darn shady and seem very likely. All he had to do is keep his mouth shut and this would be a non issue.
At the end of the day does it really matter? Nothing good can possibly come out of this for Iowa, only the opposite. If Fredrick was not happy here and wanted to leave I honestly don't care if he contacted Kentucky before announcing he was leaving. Sure it looks shitty but Iowa is looking bad by crying over it. It sounds like there were issues leading up to this decision, hopefully it ends with Fredrick and there are not other underlying issues in the basketball program.

Yeah I'm disappointed he's leaving just like everyone else. What little optimism I had for next season went out the door. But nothing we can do about it, he's gone.

At the end of the day does it really matter? Nothing good can possibly come out of this for Iowa, only the opposite. If Fredrick was not happy here and wanted to leave I honestly don't care if he contacted Kentucky before announcing he was leaving. Sure it looks shitty but Iowa is looking bad by crying over it. It sounds like there were issues leading up to this decision, hopefully it ends with Fredrick and there are not other underlying issues in the basketball program.

Yeah I'm disappointed he's leaving just like everyone else. What little optimism I had for next season went out the door. But nothing we can do about it, he's gone.
Fran tends to do well with a group of young & unappreciated

Here's what I think anyway. CJ is what I would describe as a 'dependent guard'. By that I mean he relies on others to get him open and his good looks. He isn't a ball handler or able to create for himself all that well. He can pass sure but he plays better off the ball cutting and coming off screens. If he was asked to handle the ball more and try and get more shots up on his own I think there'd have been a diminishing return of how effective he'd be.

I think we got the best of him because of Garza and the other 4 guys around him. They complimented his game perfectly. With that band getting broke up and him getting asked to handle the ball more and create shots for himself I think he's self aware of his game and knew that wasn't going to be a great thing. Combine that with going closer to home be it Louisville or most likely KY from all the rumors out there and it makes sense. I don't like it I'd much rather still have him but is what it is
I promised myself to get off this thread until fall. However I see all of this lather about losing Fredrick. Fredick who? 8 points a game and can barely keep him on the court. Trying not to trash the kid good guy from what I have seen however ya all hawks fans you are not losing John Johnson or Freddie Brown or for you Boilers Rick Mount. Not a Franny Fan either with his recruting time to get on with the kids on the roster (please not Bohannon) who are athletes who can play defense chew gum and create their own shots. I always go back to the team Raveling recruited and Davis got the opportunity to pull off those kids could bury a three however they could rebound and play straight up defense utopia.

No doubt....

That's Frans beef and why the schools statement was as curse as it was. His communication with CJ lead him to think 5 days prior to him leaving was he was close to being good to go practicing 100%. With no transfering on the table. That's a hell of a left hand turn to get slapped in the face with. Considering the whole lotta nothing that's happened or changed in that time.

Clearly the kid was one foot out the door most of the season. Maybe he was looking ahead and realized with Garza, JW and JBo all most likely done he didn't want to be the leftover BMOC. He's not an alpha. He wouldn't have been able to carry next yrs team. He's a role player. A dang good one but that's what he is a 'dependent guard'. He needs other good players around him so his game can flourish.

Only thing left to find out is where does he end up and how do we use his open scholly
I think CJ is a great 3rd or 4th option on offense, and a pretty good 2nd option, but not nearly as effective in being the #1. And with all the big guns ahead of him possibly gone, he knew he couldn't deliver. Don't you think Fran sat him down and told him he would be a very big part of the offense? That he would get many more plays run through him? Many more minutes? I would imagine Fran lit a fire under him hoping to fire him up to work hard during the off season, not realizing it would have the opposite effect.

I don't mind CJ leaving ... I just don't like how he did it.

I promised myself to get off this thread until fall. However I see all of this lather about losing Fredrick. Fredick who? 8 points a game and can barely keep him on the court. Trying not to trash the kid good guy from what I have seen however ya all hawks fans you are not losing John Johnson or Freddie Brown or for you Boilers Rick Mount. Not a Franny Fan either with his recruting time to get on with the kids on the roster (please not Bohannon) who are athletes who can play defense chew gum and create their own shots. I always go back to the team Raveling recruited and Davis got the opportunity to pull off those kids could bury a three however they could rebound and play straight up defense utopia.

The irony of comparing the Raveling team that Davis inherited is that back in the day all the players stayed committed. If that team was now, 3-5 would be leaving.

It was sure nice when young men actually kept a commitment, but, that is not in the millenials makeup.

Good perspective. Some of it is sour grapes. As usual everyone would’ve been better off if everyone just shut up and moved on with their lives. Did Kentucky bend the rules? Probably, but they and other big names do, so we can sit around and bitch about it or move on. Won’t change the outcome either way. I feel like this guy:

What's done is done but thought a portion of this clip from his uncle was interesting...........

“I want to thank you (everyone) for texting regarding CJ entering the portal,” Fredrick said in a Facebook post. “I want you, my friends, to know (there) has been a lot said about many things but I want to clear up 100 percent no school ever tampered with CJ while he was at Iowa. I had clear communication with the staff at Iowa over rumors and how they were started. I also was clear about concerns throughout the season.

That last sentence would seem to indicate something brewing in the pot for awhile. Believe whatever side you choose but IF his uncle is truthful I would agree Iowa is being a bit childish with the Compliance Dept. statement. CJ may have been less than upfront with Fran about leaving but that in itself doesn't necessitate a statement from Compliance.

Wouldn't it be a kick if he announced someone other than KY now. IMHO "someone knew someone" as far as this all coming about. It would be easy to do. Time to move on and get busy being productive with some quality replacements.
My question is why is uncle Joe communicating with Iowa and not CJ?

I think CJ is a great 3rd or 4th option on offense, and a pretty good 2nd option, but not nearly as effective in being the #1. And with all the big guns ahead of him possibly gone, he knew he couldn't deliver. Don't you think Fran sat him down and told him he would be a very big part of the offense? That he would get many more plays run through him? Many more minutes? I would imagine Fran lit a fire under him hoping to fire him up to work hard during the off season, not realizing it would have the opposite effect.

I don't mind CJ leaving ... I just don't like how he did it.
Totally agree with this. I think most Iowa fans do. The other schools fans on the outside looking in only seeing what the uncle recently said think Iowa is just butthurt over losing him. That's not it to me. They lied to Fran recently about it. That's what has Fran pissed.

I honestly think Fran felt like he had a relationship with this family and uncle. Then got blindsided and Fran is smart enough to know that someone recruited one of his starting guards.

Best of luck to CJ. I really enjoyed watching him. Hope the injuries don't continue. I just assume it is Kentucky since his Uncle tweeted "Help coming soon." Several Kentucky fans not even happy to get him. They expect every recruit to be John Wall or Anthony Davis.

The irony of comparing the Raveling team that Davis inherited is that back in the day all the players stayed committed. If that team was now, 3-5 would be leaving.

It was sure nice when young men actually kept a commitment, but, that is not in the millenials makeup.
I'd seen an interview with BJ Armstrong and he said that he did initially think about looking around. But after talking to Davis, Marble and Horton they all kinda decided together to stay and make a go of it. His system fit them perfectly obviously. But it wasn't a foregone thing that they'd all just stay though. Not to BJ anyway.

But they actually communicated amongst each other by sitting down and talking. Not through social media of all things...