McCaffreys place in Iowa Coaching History

I have to wait until Fran’s tenure ends to figure out his place on the list. For past coaches I know the total package...good and bad. Looking at this year’s team and the talent on the roster I’m very optimistic going forward.

I’m only ranking from Lute forward...That’s what I’ve watched.

Lute
Davis & Fran

Being a Hawkeye fan is for the most part like being a Vikings fan. Not total suckage like the Jets or Lions, but anytime there are hopes up they come crashing down.

B1G title game, the annual Franuary, Covid ending a season, Stanley absolutely destroying every team except the ones we need to beat, Rose Bowl curse...it's just part of the game. To be a Hawks fan you just have to accept it.

Except wrestling. We're the Alabama of wrestling which for me is awesome because I've always been a huge fan that followed the sport and the program, but most people don't know anything about it. They just know we're good. Brands has finally brought back the golden age to IC and he's got the best lineup in the history of Iowa wrestling. That's saying something. Not only is every spot ranked, 7 out of the 10 weights are top 5 with three #1 ranked guys. Kaleb Young is # 6 but beat the #5 guy on Friday so they'll switch spots and make it 8 out of 10. Even better is the fact that five of our starters are Pennsylvania kids from right in Cael Sanders' back yard. No sign of slowing down whatsoever.

So......if you want to watch a Hawk sport stress-free and see total domination we do have that option I guess.
Can't disagree, but will keep on watching regardless of where they end up year to year. Though when it comes to the Mount Rushmore of Iowa B-Ball coaches, Fran still has to more work to do imho. Again if he can't get something tangible done with the best player or one of the best players in college b-ball and a veteran team this year.....I'm not sure the promise land is happening with Fran.

I like Davis but I can’t stand the “Dr.” BS that people put on PhD coaches.

Just like pretentious nebraska fans talking about their “Mr. Davis.” Nobody gives a shit if he went to post grad school for psychology. My elementary school principal had his PhD and nobody walked around calling him “Dr. Mark.” Everyone called him “Mr. Turner” like any other normal human being.

It’s like a dentist calling themselves a “doctor.” It might be technically correct, but it’s still dumb. If you see patients and do MD stuff, or surgery, or clinical treatment, or prescribe life-saving drugs call yourself Dr. Smith all you want.

If you just went to school and wrote a dissertation about some obscure history topic (Davis) or economics or something it just sounds completely ridiculous.
Hmmm, I "liked" your post Fry, but allow me to "retort".....my daughter spent god knows how many years in school, not to mention 2.5 years as an intern at one of the "big 3" accounting firms. She got her PHD at one of the most academically challenging Universities in the B10, and it was all in classrooms, none of this degree online crap.....I may be able to call her by her first name, but students and parents of same address her as "Dr. or Professor"............

Hmmm, I "liked" your post Fry, but allow me to "retort".....my daughter spent god knows how many years in school, not to mention 2.5 years as an intern at one of the "big 3" accounting firms. She got her PHD at one of the most academically challenging Universities in the B10, and it was all in classrooms, none of this degree online crap.....I may be able to call her by her first name, but students and parents of same address her as "Dr. or Professor"............
Yeah, we could debate it but it wouldn't do any good because we're not gonna change each other's mind.

People who come with a list of accomplishments upon meeting them are generally to be avoided in my book. I have a pretentiousness aversion I guess. Especially when those accomplishments are voluntary in nature. I try to judge people on my interactions with them instead of advertisements of what they've done in life.

My dad got off a plane in Vietnam in February of 1968 and didn't leave there until June of 1970. Lugged an M60 as an infantryman until April of '70, when he was promoted to E5 and had a job as a radio operator on their FOB. Got malaria and had problems with his kidneys his whole life because of it. He never had an internship or a GPA, but I do have his DD214 and a lot of kickass pictures to prove when he was there and what his job was if I felt like I needed to.

Bottom line, he never introduced himself with anything but his name, and he damn sure had a more academically challenging experience than a PhD candidacy. One of the many great things he taught me was nobody worth knowing gives a F where you went to school or for how long unless you're cutting them open or flying an airplane they happen to be riding on. I tend to agree with that.

I'm sure your daughter is a great person. You're proud of her schooling, and as a parent I get it. You should be. But that does not command respect or distinction by itself.

Last edited:
I like Davis but I can’t stand the “Dr.” BS that people put on PhD coaches.

Just like pretentious nebraska fans talking about their “Mr. Davis.” Nobody gives a shit if he went to post grad school for psychology. My elementary school principal had his PhD and nobody walked around calling him “Dr. Mark.” Everyone called him “Mr. Turner” like any other normal human being.

It’s like a dentist calling themselves a “doctor.” It might be technically correct, but it’s still dumb. If you see patients and do MD stuff, or surgery, or clinical treatment, or prescribe life-saving drugs call yourself Dr. Smith all you want.

If you just went to school and wrote a dissertation about some obscure history topic (Davis) or economics or something it just sounds completely ridiculous.
Lawyers receive a juris doctorate. But, you never see a lawyer demanding to be called Dr.

Mainly because it would be seen as demotion. :)

Being a Hawkeye fan is for the most part like being a Vikings fan. Not total suckage like the Jets or Lions, but anytime there are hopes up they come crashing down.

B1G title game, the annual Franuary, Covid ending a season, Stanley absolutely destroying every team except the ones we need to beat, Rose Bowl curse...it's just part of the game. To be a Hawks fan you just have to accept it.

Except wrestling. We're the Alabama of wrestling which for me is awesome because I've always been a huge fan that followed the sport and the program, but most people don't know anything about it. They just know we're good. Brands has finally brought back the golden age to IC and he's got the best lineup in the history of Iowa wrestling. That's saying something. Not only is every spot ranked, 7 out of the 10 weights are top 5 with three #1 ranked guys. Kaleb Young is # 6 but beat the #5 guy on Friday so they'll switch spots and make it 8 out of 10. Even better is the fact that five of our starters are Pennsylvania kids from right in Cael Sanders' back yard. No sign of slowing down whatsoever.

So......if you want to watch a Hawk sport stress-free and see total domination we do have that option I guess.
Man I wish I was a big wrestling fan. Would be happy most every year. We are THE blue-blood of wrestling. Have many friends that are. Just can't turn it on like a switch.

Man I wish I was a big wrestling fan. Would be happy most every year. We are THE blue-blood of wrestling. Have many friends that are. Just can't turn it on like a switch.
Do you understand the scoring? That’s usually the first hurdle for people. Once you get a good grasp on that you can pick up the strategy pretty quick and it’s an absolute blast to watch.

My son was kind of that way, he’d watch the Hawks with me and was always kind of, “meh,” but once he went out for wrestling in school and knew what he was looking at he’s a big fan now.

I'm not a huge fan but I watch when I can. From what I see tho, our fans aren't happy unless we win a title. So it's not really a "happy most years" type of thing.

I'm not a huge fan but I watch when I can. From what I see tho, our fans aren't happy unless we win a title. So it's not really a "happy most years" type of thing.
Lolsies.

That's like saying, "I wouldn't want to be an Alabama fan because they don't win a title every year." Makes absolutely no sense.

NCAA wrestling attendance has been recorded since 2002. Iowa has led the nation in wrestling attendance every year since then since 2006, when we came in second to OSU by roughly 100 people. In the 70s, 80s, and 90s it would have been the exact same thing because Iowa wrestling was even more dominant. Claiming Iowa doesn't have a happy wrestling fanbase is absolutely ridiculous.

Interesting question that to me will have a clearer picture after this season is over. I mean the sky is the limit to what they could pull off yet isn't it? So if they were to win it all that'd pretty much put Fran at the top for me. And a final 4 run would put him right up there pretty high too. So it just depends. This is as good of a group as he's had and Iowa's had in a long time. So if they crap the bed and don't make it out of the first weekend that'll haunt Fran something fierce...

Interesting question that to me will have a clearer picture after this season is over. I mean the sky is the limit to what they could pull off yet isn't it? So if they were to win it all that'd pretty much put Fran at the top for me. And a final 4 run would put him right up there pretty high too. So it just depends. This is as good of a group as he's had and Iowa's had in a long time. So if they crap the bed and don't make it out of the first weekend that'll haunt Fran something fierce...
Cautious optimism is the order of the day.

Lolsies.

That's like saying, "I wouldn't want to be an Alabama fan because they don't win a title every year." Makes absolutely no sense.

NCAA wrestling attendance has been recorded since 2002. Iowa has led the nation in wrestling attendance every year since then since 2006, when we came in second to OSU by roughly 100 people. In the 70s, 80s, and 90s it would have been the exact same thing because Iowa wrestling was even more dominant. Claiming Iowa doesn't have a happy wrestling fanbase is absolutely ridiculous.
Saying most of our fans aren't happy unless we win a title is like saying I wouldn't want to be an Alabama fan? Huh

Thought it might be interesting to see where people think Fran fits in to the last 50 years or so of Iowa Basketball coaches so here it goes for me

1 Ralph miller coached 6 years 95-51 but he won 2 Big Ten titles. One with a team that scored 65 a game and had a 6'3" star in Sam Williams and one that scored a 100 a game and could have won it all if not for a last second tip in? Thats coaching (of course i'm biased as that was my first year at Iowa)
2 Bucky O'Conner coached fab 5 2 final 4s and played for the National championship against San Francisco and Bill Russell Tragic death kept him from even more big things
3 Lute Olson Turned a really bad program around and went to the final 4 with a great point guard and a bunch of role players Of course went on to big things at Arizona
4 Tom Davis 13 years 264-140 exciting brand of basketball with a chance to win it all (with Raveling players)
5 Tie with George Ravling only 3 years but great recruiter. Steve Alford 8 years some success but glad to see him go and Fran McCaffrey 10 years 194-153 with no Titles and very little success in the tournament
6 Sharm Scherman coached after Bucky O'Conner with limited success
7 Dick Schultz Assistant to Miller nice guy lousy coach

This is the year that McCaffrey could really improve his standing at least to #5 in my ranking but he has to get this team to finish high in the Big Ten and make a run in the tournament. To this point when you look at our schedule we really haven't played the tough part. Nice wins over Purdue and North Carolina but Northwestern twice Rutgers Maryland Minnesota not that impressive We still have 7 games with Illinois Ohio State Michigan and Wisconsin that will be tough. I think this team has a chance to finish high and make a run. Would really add to McCaffrey status as Iowa coach. If not Meh
Well we just lost our 3rd game in last 4 to a very good Ohio State team. Clearly Fran's run at no championships is safe. Probably best now is a top 5 finish but with the schedule and our (momentum) that might be a stretch
Unlikely Fran will assemble a team with a better chance to win a championship. If we don't make a run in the tournament Fran's run at Iowa can pretty much be summed up as "meh"

I'd put him at a tie with Tom Davis. Take away both of their first 2 years and they are pretty much identical.
Are do you really think mccaffrey would have gone 30-5 with David's first iowa team. NO WAY and not even closeLook at the big 10 records. Mccaffrey under .500. need a change.

Are do you really think mccaffrey would have gone 30-5 with David's first iowa team. NO WAY and not even closeLook at the big 10 records. Mccaffrey under .500. need a change.
I gotta assume their conference records are really close taking away the first 2 years. Davis was way better at taking over a good program than Fran was. That's the only difference.

Latest posts