McCaffreys place in Iowa Coaching History

longtimer

Thought it might be interesting to see where people think Fran fits in to the last 50 years or so of Iowa Basketball coaches so here it goes for me

1 Ralph miller coached 6 years 95-51 but he won 2 Big Ten titles. One with a team that scored 65 a game and had a 6'3" star in Sam Williams and one that scored a 100 a game and could have won it all if not for a last second tip in? Thats coaching (of course i'm biased as that was my first year at Iowa)
2 Bucky O'Conner coached fab 5 2 final 4s and played for the National championship against San Francisco and Bill Russell Tragic death kept him from even more big things
3 Lute Olson Turned a really bad program around and went to the final 4 with a great point guard and a bunch of role players Of course went on to big things at Arizona
4 Tom Davis 13 years 264-140 exciting brand of basketball with a chance to win it all (with Raveling players)
5 Tie with George Ravling only 3 years but great recruiter. Steve Alford 8 years some success but glad to see him go and Fran McCaffrey 10 years 194-153 with no Titles and very little success in the tournament
6 Sharm Scherman coached after Bucky O'Conner with limited success
7 Dick Schultz Assistant to Miller nice guy lousy coach

This is the year that McCaffrey could really improve his standing at least to #5 in my ranking but he has to get this team to finish high in the Big Ten and make a run in the tournament. To this point when you look at our schedule we really haven't played the tough part. Nice wins over Purdue and North Carolina but Northwestern twice Rutgers Maryland Minnesota not that impressive We still have 7 games with Illinois Ohio State Michigan and Wisconsin that will be tough. I think this team has a chance to finish high and make a run. Would really add to McCaffrey status as Iowa coach. If not Meh

I'd put him at a tie with Tom Davis. Take away both of their first 2 years and they are pretty much identical.

Can't argue with that list. Mr. Davis is certainly above Fran until he maybe wins the Big Ten or get his team to an Elite 8 or better.

Can't argue with that list. Mr. Davis is certainly above Fran until he maybe wins the Big Ten or get his team to an Elite 8 or better.
I like Davis but I can’t stand the “Dr.” BS that people put on PhD coaches.

Just like pretentious nebraska fans talking about their “Mr. Davis.” Nobody gives a shit if he went to post grad school for psychology. My elementary school principal had his PhD and nobody walked around calling him “Dr. Mark.” Everyone called him “Mr. Turner” like any other normal human being.

It’s like a dentist calling themselves a “doctor.” It might be technically correct, but it’s still dumb. If you see patients and do MD stuff, or surgery, or clinical treatment, or prescribe life-saving drugs call yourself Dr. Smith all you want.

If you just went to school and wrote a dissertation about some obscure history topic (Davis) or economics or something it just sounds completely ridiculous.

Last edited:
Thought it might be interesting to see where people think Fran fits in to the last 50 years or so of Iowa Basketball coaches so here it goes for me

1 Ralph miller coached 6 years 95-51 but he won 2 Big Ten titles. One with a team that scored 65 a game and had a 6'3" star in Sam Williams and one that scored a 100 a game and could have won it all if not for a last second tip in? Thats coaching (of course i'm biased as that was my first year at Iowa)
2 Bucky O'Conner coached fab 5 2 final 4s and played for the National championship against San Francisco and Bill Russell Tragic death kept him from even more big things
3 Lute Olson Turned a really bad program around and went to the final 4 with a great point guard and a bunch of role players Of course went on to big things at Arizona
4 Tom Davis 13 years 264-140 exciting brand of basketball with a chance to win it all (with Raveling players)
5 Tie with George Ravling only 3 years but great recruiter. Steve Alford 8 years some success but glad to see him go and Fran McCaffrey 10 years 194-153 with no Titles and very little success in the tournament
6 Sharm Scherman coached after Bucky O'Conner with limited success
7 Dick Schultz Assistant to Miller nice guy lousy coach

This is the year that McCaffrey could really improve his standing at least to #5 in my ranking but he has to get this team to finish high in the Big Ten and make a run in the tournament. To this point when you look at our schedule we really haven't played the tough part. Nice wins over Purdue and North Carolina but Northwestern twice Rutgers Maryland Minnesota not that impressive We still have 7 games with Illinois Ohio State Michigan and Wisconsin that will be tough. I think this team has a chance to finish high and make a run. Would really add to McCaffrey status as Iowa coach. If not Meh
I personally give FM a BIG bump on this list, considering he took over an absolute dumpster fire from the prvs 10 years. Big kudos to FM and everything he has done!

Having met more than once everyone from Lute on and worked a couple of these coaches camps - as long as Alford is last on the list, I'm good.

Most conceited person I've ever met in that role. Period.

Mr. Davis spoiled us with his post season success. His teams seemed to be a lock for the Sweet 16 but we were greedy and wanted more.

Until Fran starts having some post season success he can't pass Mr. Davis.

Mr. Davis spoiled us with his post season success. His teams seemed to be a lock for the Sweet 16 but we were greedy and wanted more.

Until Fran starts having some post season success he can't pass Mr. Davis.
Lock for the sweet 16? After his first 2 years, im pretty sure he never made it again until his lame duck year. Both Fran and Tom both have never lost in the round of 64 tho.

Lock for the sweet 16? After his first 2 years, im pretty sure he never made it again until his lame duck year. Both Fran and Tom both have never lost in the round of 64 tho.

Correct.

Seems like Fran has gotten his teams to the NCAA Tournament most of the time in recent years, and pretty much exits in the 2nd round. Sound familiar? So yeah, I agree with you about Fran and Davis being basically a tie.

Fran would pass him with a Big 10 title and/or a run to the Elite 8 or better IMO.

I just don't think you can put Fran over Mr. Davis until he at least makes the Sweet 16.
I agree you can't put him over. But in my opinion, the program you take over affects your results more than just the first two years. Davis had the luxury of recruiting players that had a high opinion of the program. Fran probably dealt with the shitty perception of the program for a good 6 years. He has brought the program up to the place that Davis brought it down to. To me, that makes him better, even tho I would still rank them a tie.

I just don't think you can put Fran over Mr. Davis until he at least makes the Sweet 16.
That's "Fran M.Ed.," please.

Let's have some goddamn respect for academic nobility around here for Pete's sake. What are you people, a bunch of uncivilized heathens? You think a graduate degree just earns itself?

Just keep in my mind, Master of Ed Fran has never been to the Sweet 16 at Iowa or anywhere. Mr. Davis took 2 different teams to the Elite 8.

But, I sure hope this is the year he (Fran) makes his mark. Because if he can't do it this year, I'm not sure if he ever will. All of those goals are still in play and ahead of them.
Being a Hawkeye fan is for the most part like being a Vikings fan. Not total suckage like the Jets or Lions, but anytime there are hopes up they come crashing down.

B1G title game, the annual Franuary, Covid ending a season, Stanley absolutely destroying every team except the ones we need to beat, Rose Bowl curse...it's just part of the game. To be a Hawks fan you just have to accept it.

Except wrestling. We're the Alabama of wrestling which for me is awesome because I've always been a huge fan that followed the sport and the program, but most people don't know anything about it. They just know we're good. Brands has finally brought back the golden age to IC and he's got the best lineup in the history of Iowa wrestling. That's saying something. Not only is every spot ranked, 7 out of the 10 weights are top 5 with three #1 ranked guys. Kaleb Young is # 6 but beat the #5 guy on Friday so they'll switch spots and make it 8 out of 10. Even better is the fact that five of our starters are Pennsylvania kids from right in Cael Sanders' back yard. No sign of slowing down whatsoever.

So......if you want to watch a Hawk sport stress-free and see total domination we do have that option I guess.

Latest posts