JBo shooting %

I

Ian Pike Hammer

Not good right now=26.7% He is avg. under 6 pts a game in limited play. CMac is actually shooting better from the field. Are you worried about JBo's scoring?

Not good right now=26.7% He is avg. under 6 pts a game in limited play. CMac is actually shooting better from the field. Are you worried about JBo's scoring?
Nope. He has really been taking it easy on his scoring attempts. Seems to be doing other things instead. I think he is letting others carry the scoring load. Not worried. When the spotlight goes on and he is needed, he will be there.

Bohannon is a great Hawk and has been a ton of fun to watch over the years, but I think a lot of fans overestimate his importance in terms of production. A few years back, he was essentially the focal point of the offense. Be glad those days are over, because JBo is now freed up to play a role suiting his skillset rather than having to carry the team. He's an above average catch and shoot guy that also happens to provide some critical intangibles in terms of leadership, composure, and having a knack for coming through in the clutch. We can have a great year with JBo averaging well below double digit scoring. That's a good thing because it means we're a much more complete and balanced team than we were when JBo was putting up bigger numbers.

One other Bohannon strength I forgot to mention and it's perhaps his best: free throws. In his final role, he's unlikely to get to the line much during normal course of play, but he will be on the line a bunch in late game situations and we can all be very, very thankful for that.

I'm a little worried he has kinda put basketball on the backburner and his shooting will show it. I heard him talk about how much work it is to do his podcast. So that takes up some time. I know he is big time into fortnight, and judging from the kids who work for me, that's gunna eat up a shit ton of time. There are only so much hours in the day. Then when you factor in how much distain he has for the NCAA and how many injuries he's had, it's gotta make you wonder if his heart is in it.

Bohannon is a great Hawk and has been a ton of fun to watch over the years, but I think a lot of fans overestimate his importance in terms of production. A few years back, he was essentially the focal point of the offense. Be glad those days are over, because JBo is now freed up to play a role suiting his skillset rather than having to carry the team. He's an above average catch and shoot guy that also happens to provide some critical intangibles in terms of leadership, composure, and having a knack for coming through in the clutch. We can have a great year with JBo averaging well below double digit scoring. That's a good thing because it means we're a much more complete and balanced team than we were when JBo was putting up bigger numbers.
This.

Bohannon is a good player no doubt, but pretty overrated, especially when the offset of his lack of defense is part of the equation. 2016 and 2017 I'll admit he changed the way defenses played us because he was so accurate with the three, but inside the arc he's an average player and in 2018 when his 3P% fell off a cliff he became somewhat of a non issue. I think part of the deal with Bohannon is that he's streaky, and he's made some clutch shots in the past...both of those things make him psychologically seem way better than he is in people's minds.

His FT% can't be overlooked, though, and it's definitely nice knowing if he gets fouled there's a high likelihood of 2 pts coming out of the play.

JB is a helluva passer and if it's late in the game and need a 3 I want JB to shoot it but otherwise he's a liability on the court especially when he's not scoring.

I'm not too worried. His role is different then it was 2 yrs ago. I'm not sure he's 100% either he still doesn't seem to be moving around all that well. We aren't running plays for him at all. He's just distributing the ball and sticking to his strengths. Until he starts shooting poorly in games that matter and we need him to contribute offensively much I'm not going to sweat it.

So much of how our team is going to perform will be dictated by the defense. We'll most likely ride on Garzas back and that'll be that. What else can you say about that guy? He makes it look way too easy. I look forward to some better competition and seeing how that goes.

People need to realize that his role has really changed now with all the players around him. I think he will have more of a complimentary role but can still and will still get on the occasional hot streak.

Just a comment. Given Jbo’s history at Iowa and the stats he has accumulated, I think there is some serious underestimating going through this thread. Also, and this may be my bias showing, but I think his defense is not much of an overall liability to the team as a whole. Not an elite point guard, but more of a Swiss Army knife.

At least for me, I want Jordan taking 3's and as many as he's open to take. I would take him in the clutch taking 3's over almost any Hawkeye of all time let alone on this team. That's just me I realize, but I want the All Time leader taking em for me.

At least for me, I want Jordan taking 3's and as many as he's open to take. I would take him in the clutch taking 3's over almost any Hawkeye of all time let alone on this team. That's just me I realize, but I want the All Time leader taking em for me.
The real question is, what's more effective at the end of a game...a JBo 3 or a Woodbury eye rake (assuming he's not already in foul trouble)?

People need to realize that his role has really changed now with all the players around him. I think he will have more of a complimentary role but can still and will still get on the occasional hot streak.
Yeah if we matchup against a team with a young PG that sags off of him too much I could see JBo taking advantage of a matchup here and there for a big game. But we just aren't going to be running many sets for him to get a good look. His shots will be opportunistic in transition and on kickouts in the halfcourt. I was hoping he'd average close to 10-12 pts a game but he may not get that much. And he very well may not need to. The important thing will be is if he's capable of doing it now and then when needed and I think he is.

Even with Jordan's dismal start this year (25%) and last season playing injured, he's a well over 40% 3 pt shooter. Jordan has more 3 pointers made then CJ's attempted. He's going to be Iowa's and the B1G's all time 3 pt shots made and for whatever Jordan has and doesn't have as far as talent- he has the clutch jean for sure. Gimme Jbo shooting 3's period and that's gonna make your offense pretty great. I agree that his role and importance is minimized with more options, it's still him I would take and I don't even hesitate with that answer.

he turns Iowa from a team that can beat ya and turns them into a team that can bury ya, also, you are literally not out of any game with a guy who can light it up like that. He's a player who can routinely beat teams by himself with his ability to shoot it from outside. I think we only have 1 other player with that sorta offensive game. These are just my opinions, I am sure they are definitely not shared by super smart basketball posters we have.