Desmond Howard on Nebraska....'work on a way to get their ass out of the BIG

IQ isn't a regional strongpoint.
it's really not, but they've convinced themselves it's a real possibility and now that Ryan Day has come out and said something similar to what Frost has said about looking for football outside of the B1G, it's truly fueling the fire.

Nah. Penn State and Wisconsin are much more relevant than Michigan. And if you look at the B1G, it's got a few what I'd call elite-level teams, which is no different than the SEC and ACC. It's just that their good teams are really good. The only problem with the Big Ten is the divisional alignment being so lopsided.

The Big Ten is probably one of the strongest overall conferences in the nation as a whole, it's just that they haven't had a Clemson or Alabama-level team come along so far this decade.

Ohio State is a elite team or was last year. They had Clemson on the ropes in the Semi game...they just made too many mistakes.

The SEC would love to have the Buckeyes and they would even take their rival Michigan too if that was what the asking price was for the jump. Every conference would love to have them. Hell they could go independent and play a national schedule like ND and possibly make more money.

But the Buckeyes don't do that. So neither will Michigan. They're loyal to the conference and when the flag-bearer of the conference is loyal, the middle class and lower class should stay loyal as well.

OSU is the undisputed crown jewel cash cow of the conference. They might be able to make a little bit more money if they went independent, but then they might be forced into a real schedule in order to get playoff consideration. The fact is, right now they usually schedule 2, sometimes 3, non-con cream puffs and then they get to play Maryland, Rutgers, Indiana and at least 2 punching bags from the West. I think if you back out 2004 and that year when Fickell was interim coach, they've seriously averaged like less than one loss per season in the conference. If you dominate a conference like that and can avoid having to schedule games against really elite teams, it is in your best interest to stick it out.

The Big Ten is probably one of the strongest overall conferences in the nation as a whole, it's just that they haven't had a Clemson or Alabama-level team come along so far this decade.

The B1G is the second best conference. It is a distant second to the SEC. OSU is a legit program, but the SEC goes like 5 deep with legit programs and the B1G goes one deep. ACC is only one deep as well and it falls off a cliff behind Clemson unless FSU or VaTech can get it together again.

Also, until the Big 12, ACC and SEC cancels, Nebraska and frankly other teams in the conference are going to continue to make waves about potentially playing. I get it. I feel like it's a bunch of bullshit to put all these protocols in place, spend all the money it probably took for schools facing the "new normal" just to give up without even trying. I get the anger. I just think it'd be financial suicide for Nebraska to bolt. I guess if enough teams revolt, we'll have a different animal on our hands.

I just don't get the unmitigated gall of Nebraska. Thumbing their nose at the B10 when all the other schools are towing the conference line. All the schools want to play...but they show respect for the management of the conference. Nebraska thinks they are still an elite program...and you could show them records for the last five year of elite programs and they still think they are almost there.

It's ridiculous. Show them the door. Their 13-23 record the last three years should bring some humility...but Scott Frost is living in the 90s.

The B1G is the second best conference. It is a distant second to the SEC. OSU is a legit program, but the SEC goes like 5 deep with legit programs and the B1G goes one deep. ACC is only one deep as well and it falls off a cliff behind Clemson unless FSU or VaTech can get it together again.
I'd say B1G goes one and three quarters deep. Franklin is building a machine in Happy Valley.

He's got 3 NY6's in the last 4 years and the other one was a Citrus

It's ridiculous. Show them the door.
No way. The enjoyment of watching their program burn down and listening to them say shit like "We had to evaluate where Iowa is as a program," and how Purdue was a "winnable game" before getting their asses kicked in, and watching all of their players get arrested and/or transferring is worth every dollar the B1G gives them.

Seriously though, doesn't watching nebraska lose six in a row to start 2018 including to Colorado, Troy, and Purdue (the winnable game), or seeing them squirm after losing to Northern Illinois, or the 56-14 Iowa loss, or Keith Duncan wagging his finger and blowing a kiss to Scott Frost mean anything to you? Jesus Christ, man, pull yourself together. Nebraska is the most entertaining thing to happen to the B1G since Podolak sobered up.

You have a solid take here but I would point at Ohio St.

The SEC would love to have the Buckeyes and they would even take their rival Michigan too if that was what the asking price was for the jump. Every conference would love to have them. Hell they could go independent and play a national schedule like ND and possibly make more money.

But the Buckeyes don't do that. So neither will Michigan. They're loyal to the conference and when the flag-bearer of the conference is loyal, the middle class and lower class should stay loyal as well.

Most of it is learning their place in the hierarchy which they have not done yet. But basically they're damn lucky to be in the B1G as are every B1G team outside of OSU, Michigan, & PSU. I don't think any of the other P5 would be all that interested in Nebraska except for the Big 12 who would take anyone that they could get their respective administrations to agree on.

Yeah I get the loyalty card but I just don't see how it should be a one way street. In some eyes the conference wasn't loyal to the schools.... If OSU Michigan any of the other schools had the same mindset Neb does how could anyone blame them? I think the BIG is lucky more don't seem to... This is that big of a deal financially and sitting on their hands so MAYBE they can play hoops and spring football when they can stick with trying to play football still for a while longer yet just is what it is. Without a crystal ball who knows what's right or wrong. But I'm not looking at Neb as a bunch of no good traitors for this. I don't like em for a whole lot of other reasons but not this.

Yeah I get the loyalty card but I just don't see how it should be a one way street. In some eyes the conference wasn't loyal to the schools.... If OSU Michigan any of the other schools had the same mindset Neb does how could anyone blame them? I think the BIG is lucky more don't seem to... This is that big of a deal financially and sitting on their hands so MAYBE they can play hoops and spring football when they can stick with trying to play football still for a while longer yet just is what it is. Without a crystal ball who knows what's right or wrong. But I'm not looking at Neb as a bunch of no good traitors for this. I don't like em for a whole lot of other reasons but not this.
It's not a one way street when you consider the $50 million dollars + checks they cash every year from the conference. This situation is a pain, for sure. But it won't last forever. And what are their alternatives outside of the B1G? They won't be able to get anywhere near the deal they are getting in this league.

No way. The enjoyment of watching their program burn down and listening to them say shit like "We had to evaluate where Iowa is as a program," and how Purdue was a "winnable game" before getting their asses kicked in, and watching all of their players get arrested and/or transferring is worth every dollar the B1G gives them.

Seriously though, doesn't watching nebraska lose six in a row to start 2018 including to Colorado, Troy, and Purdue (the winnable game), or seeing them squirm after losing to Northern Illinois, or the 56-14 Iowa loss, or Keith Duncan wagging his finger and blowing a kiss to Scott Frost mean anything to you? Jesus Christ, man, pull yourself together. Nebraska is the most entertaining thing to happen to the B1G since Podolak sobered up.

I get it...I know. I guess I just like Chuck Wepner to know he's Chuck Wepner.

If Nebraska committed to playing elsewhere when the conference shut down football, they would be expelled from the conference. No way they risk that on a season that probably won't happen elsewhere either. Its just blustering, but they better reign in the bluster before the conference remembers that they drag down our academic standards and the only thing they really bring to the table is a rabid fan base for a football brand that has not be relevant in almost two generations and a MBB brand that has never surpassed plain shitty.

As much as I hate to admit this, this is the truth. Without Michigan and Ohio State the Big Ten wouldn't be much more than a glorified MAC conference. What is interesting is that they have NEVER thrown their weight around (that I'm aware of). The Big Ten has acted in unison for as long as I can remember. My theory is that is comes down to more than just sports for these institutions, there is an academic side that we can't see as clearly.

You really think that Texas, I mean the Big 12, would let Nebraska back in?

Yeah Bowlsby isn't a dummy. I think they'd all kiss and make up pretty fast if it got to that point. They are starving for a shot of anything. Hence why they haven't thrown in the towel yet on playing. Neb would be tickled to be the 3rd banana even if they aren't being honest with themselves in that conference rather then be the 3rd banana in the BIG West. I mean coming to the BIG has been an unmitigated disaster on the fields of play for them. They thought they'd waltz right in and own the joint but it's been anything but that.

The People’s Court was a great show.

Ok...that was Wapner...Wepner took his lumps from the top heavyweights when they needed a comeback win...I guess it was pretty interesting watching the defendants from the Trump base face justice every week on the People's Court. I wonder if they would wear their red hats during the proceedings.

Yeah Bowlsby isn't a dummy. I think they'd all kiss and make up pretty fast if it got to that point. They are starving for a shot of anything. Hence why they haven't thrown in the towel yet on playing. Neb would be tickled to be the 3rd banana even if they aren't being honest with themselves in that conference rather then be the 3rd banana in the BIG West. I mean coming to the BIG has been an unmitigated disaster on the fields of play for them. They thought they'd waltz right in and own the joint but it's been anything but that.

Man, that first season was glorious. Watching a top 10 Husker team lose to a 3-5 Northwestern team was nothing short of glorious. What a welcome to the conference.

It's not a one way street when you consider the $50 million dollars + checks they cash every year from the conference. This situation is a pain, for sure. But it won't last forever. And what are their alternatives outside of the B1G? They won't be able to get anywhere near the deal they are getting in this league.
It is if they aren't playing at all this yr and they get next to nothing... They might have the Big 12 or Pac 12 to go to. Hell this mess of a world we are in there's just no predicting how dominos may start falling. Some schools can't wait on the maybe of a yr or 2 down the road. They are hemorrhaging money now and would rather do what they can to make money right now rather then kick the can and hope for the best...

Who's to really say what the right strategy is? It's a gamble either way I think. I'm sure there's all kinds of number crunching and guessing going on amongst these folks. It'd be ballsy for Neb to make a move that drastically but I wouldn't say they are totally not going to do it untill they themselves say as much.

Missouri is such a better fith than Nebby. Send Nebby back to the big 12 where they can bitch about Texas and bring Missouri in with KC and St. Louis. No brainer.

Nebraska isn't going anywhere. Frost can talk all he wants but Nebraska would lose a crap ton of money leaving the Big Ten, not just TV revenue from the BTN but research grants that the Big Ten consortium brings in as well. Besides, who would have them, they left the Big 12, PAC12 wouldn't piss off the Big Ten, they wouldn't be a fit for the ACC, and I can't imagine the SEC would take them. They would be screwed.

They would be losing on avg one more maybe two more games a year playing in the SEC West and one game more playing in the SEC east. The fuskers need to pull back on those reins as they have a gold mine with the Big 10 especially as bad/avg as their football team has been.

Latest posts