Signing Off HN

Status
Not open for further replies.

NikeHawk21

This will be officially my last post at Hawkeye Nation. It’s been a pleasure posting with all of you and discussing hawkeye sports.

I can’t support this website any further. This has nothing to do with what side of the spectrum you fall on, whether you want everyone on the coaching staffs head or whether you support the players who want to kneel or whatever they decide to do, or whether you’re the opposite, that’s not what this is about.

Quite simply this is about journalistic integrity. At a time when Iowa is under intense scrutiny and national attention is the time when the journalist’s closest to the program need to be at their very best. The DJK article is written in such a slanted angle and filled with uncorroborated stories, with no chance to be defended. The issue there is that of course the majority of Iowa fans know DJK’s story and who he was when he was on campus at Iowa. But when the national pundits start spreading this one you are going to have people that don’t know the story running like heck with this one. Again, giving the accused zero chance for rebuttal and not corroborating any stories or providing context for what DJK’s transgressions were. Instead of looking for the truth, and looking for positive ways forward, this is simply pouring gasoline on the fire.

Lastly I want to special shout-out to @PCHawk and @InGoodCo .Two of the posters I interacted with the most frequently on here, I’ve enjoyed our discussions a great deal! I do hope a few folks get to see this post before it’s taken down. Most importantly, Go Hawks!

This will be officially my last post at Hawkeye Nation. It’s been a pleasure posting with all of you and discussing hawkeye sports.

I can’t support this website any further. This has nothing to do with what side of the spectrum you fall on, whether you want everyone on the coaching staffs head or whether you support the players who want to kneel or whatever they decide to do, or whether you’re the opposite, that’s not what this is about.

Quite simply this is about journalistic integrity. At a time when Iowa is under intense scrutiny and national attention is the time when the journalist’s closest to the program need to be at their very best. The DJK article is written in such a slanted angle and filled with uncorroborated stories, with no chance to be defended. The issue there is that of course the majority of Iowa fans know DJK’s story and who he was when he was on campus at Iowa. But when the national pundits start spreading this one you are going to have people that don’t know the story running like heck with this one. Again, giving the accused zero chance for rebuttal and not corroborating any stories or providing context for what DJK’s transgressions were. Instead of looking for the truth, and looking for positive ways forward, this is simply pouring gasoline on the fire.

Lastly I want to special shout-out to @PCHawk and @InGoodCo .Two of the posters I interacted with the most frequently on here, I’ve enjoyed our discussions a great deal! I do hope a few folks get to see this post before it’s taken down. Most importantly, Go Hawks!

You gotta do what you gotta do but this board needs more rational posters, not less. Maybe just take a break while all this shit gets settled and check back in.

I have a feeling Kirk will respond the DJK story specifically at some point. And I believe Rob will publish that response.

I, personally, don't have a problem with Rob's article. For one, save for the 2019 reunion, there was nothing new in there that hasn't already been published previously. It was all going to come up in this context regardless. Secondly, Rob's headline states unequivocally "Derrell Johnson-Koulianos' Statement..."

However, I'm with you NH21, the full context of the relationship between DJK, KF, and the Iowa program absolutely should be part of the story. I am almost positive that at one point, in a radio interview I believe, DJK described himself as "a cancer"...or maybe his affect on the football team as "cancerous".

I'm OK with DJK's side being it's own article; it was lengthy. But there needs to be a companion piece...linked in the existing article...that fully rounds out that history. That's not being dismissive, calling him a liar, or assassinating his character. It's responsible journalism.

Iowa's facing some hard truths. Hard truths can go both ways.

My first instinct to the DJK thing was.... "yeah, look in context at who is saying this" and "this guy's been trying to deface the program for over a decade" ...and then I thought....wait, what if what DJK has been saying this whole time was right? Just because he was living in a drug house doesn't mean he's automatically disqualified from poor treatment from the Iowa coaching staff. In fact, now some of these stories make more sense many years after the fact. The incident involving the trash can is legendary and I know DJK tried to come out with information on how he was mistreated years ago but that was squashed by the much louder (mostly white crowd) of Iowa fans w/ a "back to your hole drug dealer". Discredited immediately.

Instead of me just saying "well, look in context who is saying this".... I stopped myself immediately and said "I need to listen" .... I'm glad I did.

As far as Rob's integrity? It's a fan site. You would think that he would cover both sides of this fairly since he has credentials. But, I'm probably in the minority when I say, Rob's been covering the good side and the coaches side of this for way too long, time to hear something else.

AND U GUYS KNOW I LOVE IOWA FOOTBALL AND THEIR COACHES. It's time to listen to what is being said IMO and stop dismissing notions I may have had prior to these stories coming out. There is clear patterns of misconduct at this point.

I too have enjoyed our conversations Nike. We didn't always see eye to eye, but we battled em out. Thanks for contributions and god speed. I hope you reconsider and come back.

Last edited:
Rob is taking a lot of heat on Hawkeye Report dot com. Those Iowa fans are very vocal and the admin there seems to let them say what they want. You should have seen the shit they posted about Pat Harty a while back....brutal stuff & there seems to be no rules there.

I don't have a username/account there, I just read their info, but they seem to know about breaking stories/info before this site does ( I mean the Hawk fans there break the stories) and those fans can be much more vocal than here.

They actually have a thread talking about how racist blacks are. Could you imagine that on this site? Rob's head would explode

Last edited:
I'm on the edge of stop coming to this site for the same reason I quit watching, listening and reading ESPN. I want to read about Hawkeye sports, not politics. The majority of the articles posted on here in the last couple weeks have been political, I already have sites I go to for that, I come hear to decompress.

Normally I would just silenty go on my way but I do like this site it has been part of my daily routine for years. Is there any way it can just stick to recruiting and strategy?

I think DJK re-emerged to take advantage of the barrage of criticism of the football program. He has a better chance of establishing credibility when so many grads are bringing some very negative issues to light. Let me assure you that my view was solidified on him a long time ago and has not changed. And, I don’t give a flying f... what color he is. Never have. I am not sure it was a great idea to give a lot of inflammatory, unsubstantiated comments so much attention. Compare the published tweets from players and former players, then re-read DJK.

I'm out as well.
I will not be told to give respect when none is given. That's not how that works. I guess we will just spend more time fishing on Saturdays or something. I think it's sad that in an effort to talk about something, the result was to alienate people.
I've lived my life judging each person by their own merit because that is what freedom and equality are all about. I don't run around telling other people to respect my opinions they can either listen or not. I am not here to convince, sway or otherwise push any agenda and I ask for the same in return.
But nobody does that. All they do is run their mouths.
I brought up a flat tax awhile back ago and nobody bit on it. Let me explain why.
Flat tax. 20% no deductions.
That's absolutely fair, equal and non-discriminatory.
But I want you to go talk to a ball player or coach making 2 million a year and tell him that his tax is now $400,000 a year. No exceptions.
Then I want you to go talk to someone who is popping out babies left and right and makes 35,000 a year that they will not be getting back $10,000 tax returns anymore but will pay in $7,000.
Now maybe it doesn't have to be 20%, maybe only 15% so you can adjust the numbers a little but you are still going to get the same answer.
Why? It's totally equal and fair.
Because people do not want equality and fair, they want whatever is best for them.
This is no different.
You couldn't say we are against police brutality and include everyone? You couldn't tell KF or Barta and ask for better treatment for the entire team?
No, because you are looking out for your best interest only.
You made it about race and nobody else did. You had many people from all walks of life that stood with you on police brutality. You had every hawk fan and player (your hawk family) with you on proper student athlete treatment.
But you were looking out for what was best for you. So it's not fair you seek.

Last edited:

This isn't an article, it is one person's opinion of the program. Nothing more, nothing less. And it isn't presented as anything more. That is why I have no problem with the piece. If this were a newspaper, it would have been on the Opinion pages.
As for those leaving the site, it has gotten too political, I agree. And this is on the posters, not on the publisher. Rob has begged for people to stop to no avail. I choose to ignore the majority of it.

NikeHawk 21 is a good guy. Smart, tough and thoughtful.

Losing him is a big loss for this board.

Between this mess and the covid mess, Iowa might be able to host games at Iowa City West. KF has been good for Iowa, but I’m afraid the only way forward is to clean house in the football program.

You don't take your ball and go home though. Sheesh. I get into minor clashes here and there but you want everyone to agree with you? I don't. At the end of the day I enjoyed the discussion. I disagree with the tone set by the administrator here in regard to creating sensationalized reporting. But at the end of the day it is a forum for folks to share opinions. Reporters run the risk of being ostracized. Free to write what you like, free to get hammered by the constituents just like a president or a head coach. Its a forum. Blinders. Ear muffs. Take your pick. Enjoy the board for discussion that interests you. When something you love loses its shine you fix it up and make it right again. That's what the Hawks are doing. I sure would like more of the "circle the wagons" approach but that might be too early. Out of any of this you want to see hope. I think we saw leadership out of Marvin McNutt today. Be a voice of reason but also a voice for change. Stick around, enjoy the ride...bumps and all. Go Hawks!

I've been a lurker for around 6 - 7 years but I'm moving on as well. That doesn't really matter much to most here and it isn't a very big loss for the website. But even though I have only been a lurker, I have been a consistent lurker. I listen to almost all of the Hawkeyenation podcasts that come out and I gladly turned off adblocker for this site.

The past week has been too much. It's not even that I'm angry about what's going on right now. I think this will end in some positive change for the Iowa football program. But the way that "journalists" like Rob have reported on this is disappointing.

That's all I have to say. Goodbye Hawkeyenation. Thank you for some interesting, if time wasting, conversations and debates.

I don't have a username/account there, I just read their info, but they seem to know about breaking stories/info before this site does ( I mean the Hawk fans there break the stories)
HR has a lot of donors and legit insiders as members who post regularly. For example, HawkGasser on HR is Brent Feller, an anesthesiologist in CR who donates millions. He’s the guy in the front row of every basketball game next to the scorer’s table. The guy with the wife who looks like a hungover Ozzy Osbourne. He’s always jumping out of his seat and jawing the refs. The dude actually flies with the basketball team.

Anyway, like I mentioned there’s lots of people there with real deal connections to the programs on HR (hence all the breaking stories and privileged info) and that’s naturally why you see all the hate directed to Rob and the players. Many of them spend a heaping F ton of money donating to a program that they don’t want to see go down the shitter, regardless of how players are being treated.

You gotta do what you gotta do but this board needs more rational posters, not less. Maybe just take a break while all this shit gets settled and check back in.

I have a feeling Kirk will respond the DJK story specifically at some point. And I believe Rob will publish that response.

This. First homes, now Nike. Both of which I thought were pretty damn pragmatic and rational.

Lost a couple solid ones.

Go Hawks.

Last edited:
I'm out as well.
I will not be told to give respect when none is given. That's not how that works. I guess we will just spend more time fishing on Saturdays or something. I think it's sad that in an effort to talk about something, the result was to alienate people.
I've lived my life judging each person by their own merit because that is what freedom and equality are all about. I don't run around telling other people to respect my opinions they can either listen or not. I am not here to convince, sway or otherwise push any agenda and I ask for the same in return.
But nobody does that. All they do is run their mouths.
I brought up a flat tax awhile back ago and nobody bit on it. Let me explain why.
Flat tax. 20% no deductions.
That's absolutely fair, equal and non-discriminatory.
But I want you to go talk to a ball player or coach making 2 million a year and tell him that his tax is now $400,000 a year. No exceptions.
Then I want you to go talk to someone who is popping out babies left and right and makes 35,000 a year that they will not be getting back $10,000 tax returns anymore but will pay in $7,000.
Now maybe it doesn't have to be 20%, maybe only 15% so you can adjust the numbers a little but you are still going to get the same answer.
Why? It's totally equal and fair.
Because people do not want equality and fair, they want whatever is best for them.
This is no different.
You couldn't say we are against police brutality and include everyone? You couldn't tell KF or Barta and ask for better treatment for the entire team?
No, because you are looking out for your best interest only.
You made it about race and nobody else did. You had many people from all walks of life that stood with you on police brutality. You had every hawk fan and player (your hawk family) with you on proper student athlete treatment.
But you were looking out for what was best for you. So it's not fair you seek.

Stick around, I actually like the flat tax idea.

I kicked around the idea of leaving too. But then I realized that's just another version of cancel culture that I hate. This is how Rob pays his bills. It's not like me leaving would change that, but I just can't be a part of trying to hurt someone's way of life just because I disagree with them. Not to mention the fact that Rob has gotten pretty pissed at me a couple times. Once recently where what I said was mistook for something that sounded so bad that I could have been canceled easily. He didn't. He didn't take down the Rob's agenda thread. And he won't take this thread down. If he won't cancel us, we shouldn't cancel him. I hope you reconsider Nike.

My first instinct to the DJK thing was.... "yeah, look in context at who is saying this" and "this guy's been trying to deface the program for over a decade" ...and then I thought....wait, what if what DJK has been saying this whole time was right? Just because he was living in a drug house doesn't mean he's automatically disqualified from poor treatment from the Iowa coaching staff. In fact, now some of these stories make more sense many years after the fact. The incident involving the trash can is legendary and I know DJK tried to come out with information on how he was mistreated years ago but that was squashed by the much louder (mostly white crowd) of Iowa fans w/ a "back to your hole drug dealer". Discredited immediately.

Instead of me just saying "well, look in context who is saying this".... I stopped myself immediately and said "I need to listen" .... I'm glad I did.

As far as Rob's integrity? It's a fan site. You would think that he would cover both sides of this fairly since he has credentials. But, I'm probably in the minority when I say, Rob's been covering the good side and the coaches side of this for way too long, time to hear something else.

AND U GUYS KNOW I LOVE IOWA FOOTBALL AND THEIR COACHES. It's time to listen to what is being said IMO and stop dismissing notions I may have had prior to these stories coming out. There is clear patterns of misconduct at this point.

I too have enjoyed our conversations Nike. We didn't always see eye to eye, but we battled em out. Thanks for contributions and god speed. I hope you reconsider and come back.

I have been asking for corroboration on DJK's story of Doyle making him run with the trash can over his head. I dont remember ever hearing about this. You say it is legendary.

so you are saying that it is true that Doyle made DJK run around the practice area with a trash can over his head??

Really?? And what was the reason for this punishment??

If true Doyle should be gone.

I have been asking for corroboration on DJK's story of Doyle making him run with the trash can over his head. I dont remember ever hearing about this. You say it is legendary.

so you are saying that it is true that Doyle made DJK run around the practice area with a trash can over his head??

Really?? And what was the reason for this punishment??

If true Doyle should be gone.
The version I've heard is that DJK kicked it over, Doyle made him carry it, and DJK being a goofball put it on his head.

Status
Not open for further replies.