Cordell Pemsl Arrested

I don’t know how to respond to this. I didn’t say anything about Austin Ash in my post so no clue about that comment.

Patrick McCaffery practices everyday and stays after games to get up shots but isn’t returning next year? That’s an interesting take. I’d wager that Pat plays next year pretty strongly.
Oh, no. I was trying to respond to someone else and got it all screwed up. My bad. Just gonna delete it.

Since there were no citations for speeding, running red light, swerving, etc, I assume he wasn’t putting other drivers at risk. So why the F is a police officer pulling someone over for a cracked tail light?

I appreciate the job police officers do, but now this kid’s record will permanently have an arrest due to a cop being bored at 1am on a Sunday night or using a cracked tail light as a reason to pull someone over hoping for a bigger arrest (drunk driver, drugs, etc)
That’s some interesting logic.

“The kid’s record will permanently have an arrest on it because a police officer was bored at 1am”

Or

“The kid’s record will forever have an arrest on it because he was breaking the law”

I don’t know how to respond to this. I didn’t say anything about Austin Ash in my post so no clue about that comment.

Patrick McCaffery practices everyday and stays after games to get up shots but isn’t returning next year? That’s an interesting take. I’d wager that Pat plays next year pretty strongly.
Nothing against his work ethic or ability. The after effects of cancer are kicking his ass though. Without a thyroid, it's nearly impossible to put on weight. I don't know what magic will occur before next year that allows him to put some muscle on.
It's a shame, but I don't think he'll ever play D1 bb again. Just my opinion and although I've never been wrong before, it could happen in this case.;)

Was Ash the one with the funky looking shot?

yes, but it's at least repeatable and he hits a lot of em from what I've heard. This is not good any way you slice it. I get that we weren't getting a lot of production from Cordell, but he was really needed to provide relief and give our guys a blow. It's also incredibly selfish of him. These guys are a team and they all work at all aspects of being the best team they can be in all categories of life. It's an unneeded distraction in the heat of a conference championship run for a team that's already short. I bet it's at least a game, maybe more and mostly I bet it's a HUGE disappointment from the team and coaches aspect.

I gotta disagree with you here. I’m typically a fan of shorter rotations but 7 is getting too light. Iowa likes to play uptempo and presses a fair amount. Not to mention Bakari and Toussaint don’t typically play 30 minutes, they basically platoon the PG spot. So in essence you’re talking about 5 remaining players for 4 total spots. That’s too thin, especially when you start playing a couple tough B1G games in a shorter span of days. Till is going to have to give us some minutes with Pemsl out.

With this style of play that's very thin. Right now if they get into foul trouble Till has been the next guy in. So now with Till in the rotation if they get into foul trouble I believe Michael Baer would be the next guy in.

Pemsl plays a bigger role than people give him credit for. I see his defensive and offensive limitations as well but it gets worse with Till.

I think you guys might be overvaluing Pemsl. Last 7 games:

12 minutes vs Nebby (in a blowout)
14 minutes vs Purdue (in a blowout)
12 minutes vs Illinois
16 minutes vs Maryland (Garza foul trouble)
5 minutes vs Wisconsin
11 minutes vs Rutgers
5 minutes vs Michigan

Bump up Krieners minutes by 4 or 5. Give Garza, Wieskamp, Connor an extra minute or two. Give Till a few minutes if necessary.

Is going 7 players deep ideal? Not at all, but Fran basically went 7 deep against both Michigan and Wisconsin and those games turned out just fine.

Nothing against his work ethic or ability. The after effects of cancer are kicking his ass though. Without a thyroid, it's nearly impossible to put on weight. I don't know what magic will occur before next year that allows him to put some muscle on.
It's a shame, but I don't think he'll ever play D1 bb again. Just my opinion and although I've never been wrong before, it could happen in this case.;)

With him practicing and Iowa's lack of depth where he could help, the fact that he isn't playing 5 minutes or so a half is a bit troubling because he would be a huge help just in that small role.

I have zero idea what his condition is but I can speak to watching someone take cancer meds. It can destroy you physically, particularly with your stomach. If Pat can live a semi-normal life from here on out and keep that cancer at bay, I'd considered a huge win for him.

12 minutes vs Illinois
5 minutes vs Wisconsin
11 minutes vs Rutgers
5 minutes vs Michigan

Bump up Krieners minutes by 4 or 5. Give Garza, Wieskamp, Connor an extra minute or two. Give Till a few minutes if necessary.

Is going 7 players deep ideal? Not at all, but Fran basically went 7 deep against both Michigan and Wisconsin and those games turned out just fine.

You're probably right - I would prefer Kreiner or BE over Cordell at this point either way. I am just a firm believer that the rotating cast we have in our 4th spot between RK, CP, BE and JT makes those 4 guys the most important players on the team night in and night out. If we can get production from one of those 4, we already know what we're gonna get from Wiesy, CJF, Luka and Connor and it ultimately matters. I just hate to see us even shorter.

Gotta suspend him at least a couple games.,,,,,

I have mixed feelings here given our lack of depth. But, at the end of the day, is Till really that much of a downgrade? Pemsl is terrible on D and a non-factor on O except for an occasional nice post feed.

He also throws some bad passes from time-to-time forcing the ball in so I wonder if this ends up being a push at times.

I gotta disagree with you here. I’m typically a fan of shorter rotations but 7 is getting too light. Iowa likes to play uptempo and presses a fair amount. Not to mention Bakari and Toussaint don’t typically play 30 minutes, they basically platoon the PG spot. So in essence you’re talking about 5 remaining players for 4 total spots. That’s too thin, especially when you start playing a couple tough B1G games in a shorter span of days. Till is going to have to give us some minutes with Pemsl out.

Agree. Most college teams typically got at least 9 and 10 is quite common.

I was thinking this was pretty much the exact same scenario as Chris Rucker (MSU football player) in 2010. I thought his arrest was for driving with a revoked license while on probation. Turns out, I was wrong.

Rucker committed OWI on Oct 11, missed the Oct 16 game due to suspension, went to jail on Oct 20 (he pled guilty, he was already on probation for a dorm brawl from 11 months earlier), served 8 days in jail (missed 1 additional game because he was in jail), and was released on the evening of Thursday, Oct 28, and immediately re-instated to the team. He played against the Hawks on Saturday, Oct 30, but he did not start (tough love from Dantonio).

So if we ask Dantonio, this is a no-brainer, as soon as he is out of jail he is good to go.

https://www.mlive.com/spartans/2010/10/michigan_states_chris_l_rucker_3.html

Last edited:

12 minutes vs Illinois
5 minutes vs Wisconsin
11 minutes vs Rutgers
5 minutes vs Michigan

It’s more of a cumulative effect over anything, in one game playing 35 minutes is okay, but over a grueling conference season it might not be as sustainable. I agree it’s not the end of the world, just going to need to put Till into the rotation. We don’t even know yet how long Pemsl will be out either.

Without the hormones that the thyroid provides, is Patrick allowed to take any synthetic hormones or anything like that, to make up for the lack of a thyroid? Or is that considered PEDs by the NCAA?

yes, but it's at least repeatable and he hits a lot of em from what I've heard. This is not good any way you slice it. I get that we weren't getting a lot of production from Cordell, but he was really needed to provide relief and give our guys a blow. It's also incredibly selfish of him. These guys are a team and they all work at all aspects of being the best team they can be in all categories of life. It's an unneeded distraction in the heat of a conference championship run for a team that's already short. I bet it's at least a game, maybe more and mostly I bet it's a HUGE disappointment from the team and coaches aspect.

Agree.

Also, Pemsl's a big body that is fairly athletic. He gets beat on D on occasion, but he prob holds his opponent at bay more often then not. Hell, I've seen Till get beat real bad at times. People need to put that into perspective when they are looking for who would automatically replace his minutes and provide the same or more productivity. If that were the case, these others would have been getting the minutes.

Latest posts