Any chance at NCAA without JBo?

I'm gonna say there is a 0% chance that this team with Fran as head coach can make the NCAA Tournament without Jordan. I flat out guarantee that they won't make the NCAA's now!

PS, I only say this because every time I doubt Fran or the team, they prove me wrong. You're Welcome.
Much appreciated!

Bohannon was shooting six 3's per game and shooting only 32.8%. Wieskamp, Garza and CJ are all shooting between 41% and 51%. So more 3's for the "better shooters" this season might be a good thing.

Joe T with more minutes likely means more steals, hustle, and better defense than J-Bo

Connor already plays a ton of minutes, but he'll likely get more minutes at PG and his 4:1 assist:turnover ratio is stellar.

Evelyn....man this is your shot. its time to step up and show you were worth a transfer

The major issue is depth. Foul trouble would likely be a disaster for this team.

I still gotta wonder if Fran starts Joe T or Kriener. My gut tells me Kriener starts at the 4. Guessing that will piss some people off but I think it makes sense to have a guard fresh off the bench as your first sub instead of putting Joe, Connor, CJ and Wieskamp all in the starting rotation. Minutes aren't going to be an issue for any of those 4 guys so who cares who starts
Let me preface this by saying everyone on scholarship is getting minutes. So I would like to see Pemsl start at the 4. He has to play some minutes. It might light a fire under him. And it keeps that 2nd group together...tend to hold their own while the starters rest. Just my opinion.

Edit - His overall minutes only increase if he shows something. But he gets the first few minutes each half.

I really think Patrick can be the deciding factor on making the tournament and not making it. Our bench now seems so bad that I can't imagine making it with them. But if Patrick can play 15 minutes per game, and Joe T can play 10 minutes more per game, that's Bohannon's minutes right there without a bigger role from our bench.

Let me preface this by saying everyone on scholarship is getting minutes. So I would like to see Pemsl start at the 4. He has to play some minutes. It might light a fire under him. And it keeps that 2nd group together...tend to hold their own while the starters rest. Just my opinion.

Edit - His overall minutes only increase if he shows something. But he gets the first few minutes each half.
Please god no

I really think Patrick can be the deciding factor on making the tournament and not making it. Our bench now seems so bad that I can't imagine making it with them. But if Patrick can play 15 minutes per game, and Joe T can play 10 minutes more per game, that's Bohannon's minutes right there without a bigger role from our bench.
This is where I’m at as well.

Also if Pat doesn’t play I’m still hoping for Till over Pemsl. Cordell provides nothing right now. I don’t mean to bag on the kid he’s gone through a lot injury wise, but at a certain point you have to call a spade a spade. He can’t defend four men in this league he’s too slow, and he’s providing nothing on the offensive end.

With Bohannon going out Iowa is going to have to adapt and vary the style in which they play either way.

10-15 minutes is hardly a major role. Reports out of camp were that Pat was playing very well. Wieskamp and Garza spoke highly of him at B1G media days. Again I’m not saying he’s going to be asked to do a lot. Provide some energy off the bench, use his length and athleticism to effect the game. If he throws in the occasional bucket that’s great.

It is hardly a stretch to expect Pat to provide better minutes than we are getting from Pemsl and Evelyn right now.

Fair enough. Now let me ask you a question. With Iowa being quite thin, this also poses an issue with players potentially getting into foul trouble which Iowa can't really afford now. Do you think we will be seeing Iowa play even more zone secondary to the depth and keeping players out of foul trouble?

Dont quote me on this but I thought I heard/read that one of the after effects of his cancer that is keeping him off the court is that he hasn't been able to hold down food.

I seriously doubt it is an issue of holding down food. But, with the thyroid affecting so much systemically in the body, I could see an issue of keeping weight on.

Fair enough. Now let me ask you a question. With Iowa being quite thin, this also poses an issue with players potentially getting into foul trouble which Iowa can't really afford now. Do you think we will be seeing Iowa play even more zone secondary to the depth and keeping players out of foul trouble?
I think it’s a good question, it’s still got to be in the right matchup for Iowa. Obviously Garza is the main guy we have to keep out of foul trouble. As far as that goes I’m not sure how much zone really protects Garza from fouls. He might be more likely to be a step late sliding over in a zone defense and picking up a foul than he would be just defending posts. Also offensive rebounds out of the zone could potentially lead to cheap fouls.

I think it’s a good question, it’s still got to be in the right matchup for Iowa. Obviously Garza is the main guy we have to keep out of foul trouble. As far as that goes I’m not sure how much zone really protects Garza from fouls. He might be more likely to be a step late sliding over in a zone defense and picking up a foul than he would be just defending posts. Also offensive rebounds out of the zone could potentially lead to cheap fouls.

Good point.

This is where I’m at as well.

Also if Pat doesn’t play I’m still hoping for Till over Pemsl. Cordell provides nothing right now. I don’t mean to bag on the kid he’s gone through a lot injury wise, but at a certain point you have to call a spade a spade. He can’t defend four men in this league he’s too slow, and he’s providing nothing on the offensive end.

Pemsl would be a better option than Till if his goal would be to provide energy while giving the starters rest. Unfortunately, instead he comes in and tries to do too much and ends up being a huge negative for the team. Try to D up, set screens, box out, and shoot layups if you happen to get the ball in scoring position. No more post moves and no more circus passes.

Pemsl would be a better option than Till if his goal would be to provide energy while giving the starters rest. Unfortunately, instead he comes in and tries to do too much and ends up being a huge negative for the team. Try to D up, set screens, box out, and shoot layups if you happen to get the ball in scoring position. No more post moves and no more circus passes.
Till is much more athletic and to me already knows his role. I would much rather have Till in defending the corner in a zone and I’d much rather have Till in defending a majority of the 4 men in the B1G, which would be the non bangers down low. There really are very few of those big bruiser type power forwards left.

Against ISU Haliburton made Pemsl fall over trying to defend that corner spot in the zone. It was a grand illustration of why Pemsl just simply isn’t suited to try and play that spot.

Till is much more athletic and to me already knows his role. I would much rather have Till in defending the corner in a zone and I’d much rather have Till in defending a majority of the 4 men in the B1G, which would be the non bangers down low. There really are very few of those big bruiser type power forwards left.

Against ISU Haliburton made Pemsl fall over trying to defend that corner spot in the zone. It was a grand illustration of why Pemsl just simply isn’t suited to try and play that spot.

I get what your saying. It's just that Pemsl has a way higher ceiling. I guess I'm just holding out hope that he can get going again. A good Pemsl helps the team. A good Till just doesn't hurt it. Right now tho Till is better than the floor level Pemsl is playing at.

Here is the thing- we have several players that seem to be in a "learning curve" situation and just haven't gotten over the hump. Yet we forged an 8-3 record despite that. If we get even in inkling of improvement, and go 2-0 to get to 10-3, this team may develop confidence and surprise. Having said that, not deep enough and cannot afford any more injuries.

......and rebounds. Know your role and work to do it well. The proverbial role player.

I actually really like Till. I think he has a pretty solid overall game. Not exceptional in any one thing, but decent in many. That can make a great bench player. We obviously will see more of Till in games and I'm excited to see how much he can grow when gains confidence.

I get what your saying. It's just that Pemsl has a way higher ceiling. I guess I'm just holding out hope that he can get going again. A good Pemsl helps the team. A good Till just doesn't hurt it. Right now tho Till is better than the floor level Pemsl is playing at.

Pemsl can support Garza and maybe he can play not worrying about fouling so much. Let Pemsl be a little physical and get 3-4 fouls a game, or out on occasion. He's one player Iowa can afford to sacrifice a little bit with physical play.

Here is the thing- we have several players that seem to be in a "learning curve" situation and just haven't gotten over the hump. Yet we forged an 8-3 record despite that. If we get even in inkling of improvement, and go 2-0 to get to 10-3, this team may develop confidence and surprise. Having said that, not deep enough and cannot afford any more injuries.

They are going to score enough, they always have. Thank goodness they don't have to rely on scoring. They just have to play solid defense each game. Maybe some of these guys can learn that and help there which would bring more consistency then relying on them to score in double digits.

A
Pemsl can support Garza and maybe he can play not worrying about fouling so much. Let Pemsl be a little physical and get 3-4 fouls a game, or out on occasion. He's one player Iowa can afford to sacrifice a little bit with physical play.
Agree. And I want him on the floor with starters/scorers. If he comes off the bench playing the same 10 to 15 minutes a game I see him playing as a starter who’s going to score points?

Guard play, specifically on defense the rest of the year, will tell you if we make the dance.

Latest posts