Brian/Nate's Objective Performance

I'll have to remember that, next time we lose a non conference game, nobody should care, they don't matter at all I guess.

To get the point, you really have to get out of your tunnel vision on chit, which seems to be an issue. You're completely missing the point.

To get the point, you really have to get out of your tunnel vision on chit, which seems to be an issue. You're completely missing the point.

Listen, I am the only one that is sane in this thread. I said early on I get that conference games mean MORE! The issue is idiots trying to say that non conference games DON'T MATTER AT ALL ARE ****ING DUMB AS SHIT.

Yes, it's a fairly simple thing to understand. You are measuring your PEER/Conference teams. Nothing wrong with that.
I'm being realistic, too. Iowa is not going to be OSU. They are not going to be starting seasons being seen as a perennial NC contender, but they should compete for BT titles more often, which on occasion could put them in the NC spotlight as a season unfolds. BT championship games can be a realistic goal, otherwise, why talk about it.

Listen, I am the only one that is sane in this thread. I said early on I get that conference games mean MORE! The issue is idiots trying to say that non conference games DON'T MATTER AT ALL ARE ****ING DUMB AS SHIT.

If someone has to tell you they are sane .................................................

Honey, is that you?

Nobody said that. It's just that's not what the OP measured and he has full rights not to include that in his data if he wishes. The results still showed objective data. Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezus, you're driving me nuts. All he was doing is providing a data point. What the hell? Why do you have such an issue with that? If someone doesn't think like you or go parallel with your thinking you go ape chit! Weird dude.

Those extra practices for the bowl games have really paid off!! Imagine our record if they didn't have that extra two weeks to run the same basic plays over and over.....

Seriously though, Iowa is an average team that could be above average if one specific part of the team performed better. We've said it in here so many times but Iowa has their best seasons when they have a QB who can make plays OUT OF THE POCKET.

Yet we continue to play or coach these kids to be statues in the pocket. Stanley looks like he runs as well as Nathan Chandler, and NC made tons of plays with his legs in 2003. Kept so many drives alive. The few times NS has run this year he's had success, but he won't do it consistently. We all laugh/joke at the QB sneaks but it's seriously Iowa's best offensive play.

But back to the original point

Iowa OOC 34PPG
Iowa CG 15PPG

This is subjective, but I swear Iowa shuts down their playbook more when they go into conference games versus the opposite. It's like Kirk gets to the conference and decides its time to pucker up and hope for turnovers and FGs to win the games since we're just Iowa.

Wisconsin is on a slide right now, but odds are they still win the West and get another shot at OSU. And in that one game who knows what can happen. Would they go to the playoff, nope. But being a big10 champion and go to a great Bowl game is a heck of a season.

That should be Iowa's goal, and while they still have a shot to win. Most of us know deep down we do not have the coaching or offensive scheme to pull this out. There is no special player on offense (Goodson is close) to pull this off.

I'm being realistic, too. Iowa is not going to be OSU. They are not going to be starting seasons being seen as a perennial NC contender, but they should compete for BT titles more often, which on occasion could put them in the NC spotlight as a season unfolds. BT championship games can be a realistic goal, otherwise, why talk about it.

Agree, those are my expectations as well. I expect them to compete for BIG titles every few years. If they are competing for BIG titles, than that means they are having a good season and vying for a possible playoff spot.

LOLOLOL!!!!

Now you're grasping straws.

So (since you;re in the business of getting me to "admit" to things), that ranking has no bearing on where you finish in the standings.

Jesus man, you're getting even dumber than normal here, but I'll humor you and play along. :)

You think a recruit is going to think a #14 ranking or whatever is a bigger deal than a conference championship? Good lord.

Well, I for one do believe that a recruit who doesn't really follow a conference would put a LOT more stock in a #14 ranking than a conference championship. There are teams out there that lose all their non-conference games and win their conference; and guess what? They don't get the top recruits.

Look at any FCS team - they can lose all their non-conference games to FBS teams and still go undefeated in their conference and win that. But they won't be ranked and top recruits won't even consider them.

Those extra practices for the bowl games have really paid off!! Imagine our record if they didn't have that extra two weeks to run the same basic plays over and over.....

Seriously though, Iowa is an average team that could be above average if one specific part of the team performed better. We've said it in here so many times but Iowa has their best seasons when they have a QB who can make plays OUT OF THE POCKET.

Yet we continue to play or coach these kids to be statues in the pocket. Stanley looks like he runs as well as Nathan Chandler, and NC made tons of plays with his legs in 2003. Kept so many drives alive. The few times NS has run this year he's had success, but he won't do it consistently. We all laugh/joke at the QB sneaks but it's seriously Iowa's best offensive play.

But back to the original point

Iowa OOC 34PPG
Iowa CG 15PPG

This is subjective, but I swear Iowa shuts down their playbook more when they go into conference games versus the opposite. It's like Kirk gets to the conference and decides its time to pucker up and hope for turnovers and FGs to win the games since we're just Iowa.

Wisconsin is on a slide right now, but odds are they still win the West and get another shot at OSU. And in that one game who knows what can happen. Would they go to the playoff, nope. But being a big10 champion and go to a great Bowl game is a heck of a season.

That should be Iowa's goal, and while they still have a shot to win. Most of us know deep down we do not have the coaching or offensive scheme to pull this out. There is no special player on offense (Goodson is close) to pull this off.

No, that is an objective stat. It's the truth. One factor could be the quality of the teams they are playing. Scoring will be up in the pre-conference games, or should be. But, to your point, I think at times Ferentz gets ultra-conservative. He gets so locked in on the numbers and percentages that the team doesn't play loose.

Well, I for one do believe that a recruit who doesn't really follow a conference would put a LOT more stock in a #14 ranking than a conference championship. There are teams out there that lose all their non-conference games and win their conference; and guess what? They don't get the top recruits.

Look at any FCS team - they can lose all their non-conference games to FBS teams and still go undefeated in their conference and win that. But they won't be ranked and top recruits won't even consider them.

I agree, but that whole argument or point is moot. If a team is vying for a division or conference championship, more than likely they are going to be ranked that high anyway. Really the whole point is moot.

If someone has to tell you they are sane .................................................

Honey, is that you?

Nobody said that. It's just that's not what the OP measured and he has full rights not to include that in his data if he wishes. The results still showed objective data. Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezus, you're driving me nuts. All he was doing is providing a data point. What the hell? Why do you have such an issue with that? If someone doesn't think like you or go parallel with your thinking you go ape chit! Weird dude.

LOL, so Geeeeeeeeeeeeeezus I can drive you nuts, and you can call me out on it.......Yet if @Fryowa is driving me nuts, I can't call him out on it? Dude stop the double standard already. Also try reading the thread. @Fryowa has said time and again that non conference games are meaningless that they are just played for "participation trophies". He is the one taking the extreme position here, I am the one talking common sense that while non conference games aren't as important as conference games, they are certainly not even close to being meaningless.

I'll have to remember that, next time we lose a non conference game, nobody should care, they don't matter at all I guess.
I thought about jumping in on this with ya Dean, some skulls are so thick though that they only care about Big 10 standings, not national rankings and perceptions. Not worth your time man.

I thought about jumping in on this with ya Dean, some skulls are so thick though that they only care about Big 10 standings, not national rankings and perceptions. Not worth your time man.

Love-connection-cover-photo-758x392.jpg

Iowa is not in some Generic Conference. They are in the Big Ten, one of the top 2 football conferences in the country. Kids come to Iowa because they want to play in the Big Ten. You read about that all the time in these recruiting write ups. So, if you're competing for BT championships, you're a good team, and top recruits will want to play here. This isn't the Sun Belt or All-America Conference at issue. I think you know better.

In Nate's defense, he has not had any semblence of a competent running game. He should be able to just drop back and hand that thing off and get some production to help the offense. But in all those games that we have lost, the opponent stuffed our run and made Nate win it by himself. Quality receivers or not, doesn't matter if you cant run.

Now we know Nate cant run, but it isn't like he came here with the promise of doing so. Banks had Freddie and jermelle. Long had Harmon. Guys in between had sedrick shaw, nick bell, the guy who played for the Redskins for a long time who's name escapes me. Stanzi had shonn greene for a year and even with dual backs in 09 we had production there. The outlier is drew in 04 which is still probably my favorite season just because of how depleted we were and how the coaches adjusted on the fly and changing that gameplan.

Now us not being able to run the ball is on someone, just not on Nate. Brian is the OC so it starts there.

Honey, is that you?

LOL, so Geeeeeeeeeeeeeezus I can drive you nuts, and you can call me out on it.......Yet if @Fryowa is driving me nuts, I can't call him out on it? Dude stop the double standard already. Also try reading the thread. @Fryowa has said time and again that non conference games are meaningless that they are just played for "participation trophies". He is the one taking the extreme position here, I am the one talking common sense that while non conference games aren't as important as conference games, they are certainly not even close to being meaningless.
I love all of you guys no matter what you say about me, so put that in your pipes and smoke it.

LOL, Title of the thread is a JOKE! There is nothing objective about this post. You found a stat you want to use to paint a picture, so you set the parameters to fit your agenda, and make that claim that ONLY these games matter.

This is the game Da Haters play. They want to parse out every single thing, to get to their underlying (Ferentz sucks at everything argument). When Iowa's overall record stacks up well vs other P5 programs over the last 5 years, well then only wins vs conference teams with winning records matter. Or they discount this win, or exaggerate this loss.
Nothing objective about stats and facts that we suck against good teams in the BIg Ten ? Are you high?

What is it about posters jumping in like bulls in a fucking China shop and picking fights? Or defending really what's a good win/bad loss. Nate Stanley will be a so-so Q when it's all said and done. When has he had a "Drew Tate" moment? I'm one of those haters when it comes to a quarterback who can't rally his troops when the chips are down, win or lose. At least show the F up and show some emotion. Go down fighting instead of being a Nancy. And I'm a huge hater of BF. Guy couldn't draw up a play if his job depended on it. Oh shit, I guess some have him penciled in already when KF leaves. Things aren't changing folks and neither are some of our "I love Ferentz " posters.

Ya gotta agree that it gives you a pretty damn good idea of what's going on though. This in conference play, which is the most important measure to most coaches. I don't have a problem with that.

It a team has to add in meaningless games to bloat the numbers up to one's bar, then the team's got issues. That's my take.
Dean is missing the point. If we win the Big 10 we are in the news years six . If we are in that we are in the hunt . To win the Big 10 you have to do good against good Big 10 teams. The better we do against the conference the better position we have in the national landscape

Last edited: