Brian/Nate's Objective Performance

Fryowa

Administrator
A lot of folks here have offered the opinion that (assumedly because of his stats) Nateski should be considered one of the greats at least as far as Hawkeye QBs go.

Others have said that Kirk Jr. has started to "turn things around" and that he should be given a bunch more time to try to produce results.

I saw some stats on twitter lately that have made me step back and try to look at this as objectively as possible.

BF has been the OC for two and a half years, and Nate has been the starter that entire time. In that span we've played 23 conference games. Conference games, no matter what anyone says, are the only thing that matter to Iowa football, because it's the conference record that determines whether you play in the Big Ten title game, and subsequently whether you get into the CFP (lol). Games against Miami (OH), North Texas, etc. are ridiculous to consider; bowl games are strictly for funsies and don't mean dick except to players, which I understand.

So what would be considered a "good win" in conference? For argument's sake, let's say a win against a team with a record greater than .500 in conference. That obviously indicates a team that wins more conference games than it loses, and is a team that should be tough to beat.

Since BF took over in 2017, we are 1 for 11 against teams that finished the season with an above .500 conference record. We have won exactly ONE big game in the last two and a half years. I included this year's games against Michigan and PSU because it looks like Michigan will be above .500 and PSU already is. And before anyone goes and says the defense is part of it too...that's a ridiculous thing to even consider. Iowa was 17th in the country in points allowed in '17, 11th in 2018, and they sit at 3rd in the nation right now.

That's one game in the last two and a half years against a good conference opponent. The teams the Hawks have beat since September of '17 have a combined record of 32-73.

Brian has had a pretty good period of time to start winning games that count and he's completely flopped just about every chance he's had. Stanley also shares part of that (although I'd say a smaller part), and he's likewise had tons of chances to make big games happen but didn't pull it out. Bad OLs are part of the equation, but guys like CJ have had equally bad lines at different times and had no where near the WR talent that Stanley has. Regardless of where his yards and TDs turn out, I don't think anyone should go rushing to put him up there with Long, Banks, Tate, or Stanzi. How long will it take before people can admit that these two choke in every single meaningful game?

Is this seriously the guy you want running the show for the next 25 years?

Capture.jpg

Last edited:
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. If you want to see the true measure of a man, watch how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.

I ran across this quote b/c I feel this is BF to a "T". No, I don't want him as my OC, but we're stuck with him. And the antics he exhibited the other day (which I'm not sure exactly what it was), is exactly who we thought he was. He is his dad's clone. The #'s don't lie Fry. The whole offense of Iowa has happy feet and cannot get the job done. It truly is an embarrassment to the team we cheer for and get excited about. He cannot handle the pressure, period...........

A lot of folks here have offered the opinion that (assumedly because of his stats) Nateski should be considered one of the greats at least as far as Hawkeye QBs go.

Others have said that Kirk Jr. has started to "turn things around" and that he should be given a bunch more time to try to produce results.

I saw some stats on twitter lately that have made me step back and try to look at this as objectively as possible.

BF has been the OC for two and a half years, and Nate has been the starter that entire time. In that span we've played 23 conference games. Conference games, no matter what anyone says, are the only thing that matter to Iowa football, because it's the conference record that determines whether you play in the Big Ten title game, and subsequently whether you get into the CFP (lol). Games against Miami (OH), North Texas, etc. are ridiculous to consider; bowl games are strictly for funsies and don't mean dick except to players, which I understand.

So what would be considered a "good win" in conference? For argument's sake, let's say a win against a team with a record greater than .500 in conference. That obviously indicates a team that wins more conference games than it loses, and is a team that should be tough to beat.

Since BF took over in 2017, we are 1-11 against teams that finished the season with an above .500 conference record. We have won exactly ONE big game in the last two and a half years. I included this year's games against Michigan and PSU because it looks like Michigan will be above .500 and PSU already is. And before anyone goes and says the defense is part of it too...that's a ridiculous thing to even consider. Iowa was 17th in the country in points allowed in '17, 11th in 2018, and they sit at 3rd in the nation right now.

That's one game in the last two and a half years against a good conference opponent. The teams the Hawks have beat since September of '17 have a combined record of 32-73.

Brian has had a pretty good period of time to start winning games that count and he's completely flopped just about every chance he's had. Stanley also shares part of that (although I'd say a smaller part), and he's had likewise had tons of chances to make big games happen but didn't pull it out. Bad OLs are part of the equation, but guys like CJ have had equally bad lines at different times and had no where near the WR talent that Stanley has. Regardless of where his yards and TDs turn out, I don't think anyone should go rushing to put him up there with Long, Banks, Tate, or Stanzi. How long will it take before people can admit that these two choke in every single meaningful game?

Capture.jpg
To answer your question....NO at this point Brian has NOT proven remotely competent as the CEO of a decent Power 5 program. He should go back and start in the MAC Sun Belt hell even an FCS school. The Barta/Ferentz cabal won't appreciate it or understand it but Brian should go take a HC job lower down...let Polasheck do what he actually has experience doing THEN and only THEN make a push to come back when Dad steps down. Again as much as I admire Bill Snyder...trying to strong arm the University into hiring a son with NO CEO experience is just plain selfish and reeks of nepotism...we shouldn't be hiring the most important person at UI besides the President perhaps to placate ONE person.

The problem has been and continues to be the running game (and the OL). This has been a problem for over 10 years and started pre BF. It's ironic. It's amazing we put all these OL in the NFL but haven't broke the top 50 in yards per rush attempt since 2008. We were top 50 FIVE times between 2001 and 2008 in ypa rushing. Then we play a pure drop back QB with very limited mobility. No run game and zero QB mobility is not a winning formula.

To answer your question....NO at this point Brian has NOT proven remotely competent as the CEO of a decent Power 5 program. He should go back and start in the MAC Sun Belt hell even an FCS school. The Barta/Ferentz cabal won't appreciate it or understand it but Brian should go take a HC job lower down...let Polasheck do what he actually has experience doing THEN and only THEN make a push to come back when Dad steps down. Again as much as I admire Bill Snyder...trying to strong arm the University into hiring a son with NO CEO experience is just plain selfish and reeks of nepotism...we shouldn't be hiring the most important person at UI besides the President perhaps to placate ONE person.
I hear there’s going to be an opening at UNI sometime soon.

The problem has been and continues to be the running game (and the OL). This has been a problem for over 10 years and started pre BF. It's ironic. It's amazing we put all these OL in the NFL but haven't broke the top 50 in yards per rush attempt since 2008. Then we play a pure drop back QB with very limited mobility and that's not a winning formula.
This is exactly why the Duggan kid left the state to go to TCU they appreciate dual threat athletic QBs. While drop back pocket is still hirable in the NFL more and more teams are looking for mobility it's clear. Not like we've had ANY luck getting our Pro Style QBs drafted anyway!!

This is exactly why the Duggan kid left the state to go to TCU they appreciate dual threat athletic QBs. While drop back pocket is still hirable in the NFL more and more teams are looking for mobility it's clear. Not like we've had ANY luck getting our Pro Style QBs drafted anyway!!
Hey, Rudock is at least raking in a nice salary in Detroit. Oh wait, he had to go to a different school to show that he belonged anywhere near the NFL, didn’t he. Same for CJ, but we all know he did what he did in spite of KF and GD. Duggan looked like the real deal Saturday, that was a fun game to watch.

...we’ve been undisputedly terrible against anyone with a winning record in conference play the last three seasons, no matter how good the defense is.
The fact that our defense is and has been so elite for so long only underlines how horrible BF and NS are against any opponent with a pulse.

With a top ten defense you’d expect to have won at least a couple of those games against decent teams.

So, what are the #'s regarding the amount of time the D has been on the field versus the O? And we are still doing a great/better job on defense.

you mean to tell me that good football teams lose when they play other good football teams? That's quite a revelation - Brian Ferentz has not done enough to get the gig after daddy. I don't think anyone in the world believes he has. He won't get the job without something tangible. Period....which we'd ALL be elated to get, so why worry?

Since BF took over in 2017, we are 1-11 against teams that finished the season with an above .500 conference record. We have won exactly ONE big game in the last two and a half years. I included this year's games against Michigan and PSU because it looks like Michigan will be above .500 and PSU already is. And before anyone goes and says the defense is part of it too...that's a ridiculous thing to even consider. Iowa was 17th in the country in points allowed in '17, 11th in 2018, and they sit at 3rd in the nation right now.

Brian has had a pretty good period of time to start winning games that count and he's completely flopped just about every chance he's had. Stanley also shares part of that (although I'd say a smaller part), and he's had likewise had tons of chances to make big games happen but didn't pull it out. Bad OLs are part of the equation, but guys like CJ have had equally bad lines at different times and had no where near the WR talent that Stanley has. Regardless of where his yards and TDs turn out, I don't think anyone should go rushing to put him up there with Long, Banks, Tate, or Stanzi. How long will it take before people can admit that these two choke in every single meaningful game?

Capture.jpg
Except for the Wisconsin loss in 2017 (and the cheapo TD Wisconsin had in 2018), everyone of those losses in yellow were by a TD or less.

Penn State - Lost last play of the game. Defense couldn't stop McSorley and Barkley.
MSU - Poor game by the offense. Not excusing that one.
NW - Poor game by the offense, Fant drops a fourth down pass in OT to end the game.
Wisconsin - A rump roasting.
Wisconsin - Beyer playing hackysack with the football, Wisconsin goes 85 yards to score a TD, missed passes to open receivers.
Penn State - Blown TD to Hockenson and failure at the goal line.
Purdue - Defense couldn't stop Purdue all day. Two holding calls in a row stifled any chance to burn the clock.
NW - No excuses on this one. Hello coaches, Fant is on the sidelines.
Michigan - No excuses, just not good enough on offense.
Penn State - No excuses, just not good enough on offense.

It's a combination of factors, it's not one thing. Not sold on BF being the head coach, unless it's 5 years from now, and Iowa's offense starts clicking in the meantime, then I'd be in favor of it. We'll see.

One other thing - he needs to comport himself better on the sidelines. Kirk can get away with it, he's earned it. Brian hasn't earned it (and he's the OC, not the head coach).

Last edited:
you mean to tell me that good football teams lose when they play other good football teams? That's quite a revelation - Brian Ferentz has not done enough to get the gig after daddy. I don't think anyone in the world believes he has. He won't get the job without something tangible. Period....which we'd ALL be elated to get, so why worry?
Depends on whether Barta is still around. He’s proven that actually winning is at the bottom of his list of priorities, which is better than say, letting your staff get away with raping children, but there’s some land between here and there where we can get a coach that values winning and runs a clean program.

Except for the Wisconsin loss in 2017 (and the cheapo TD Wisconsin had in 2018), everyone of those losses in yellow were by a TD or less.

Penn State - Lost last play of the game. Defense couldn't stop McSorley and Barkley.
MSU - Poor game by the offense. Not excusing that one.
NW - Poor game by the offense, Fant drops a fourth down pass in OT to end the game.
Wisconsin - A rump roasting.
Wisconsin - Beyer playing hackysack with the football, Wisconsin goes 85 yards to score a TD, missed passes to open receivers.
Penn State - Blown TD to Hockenson and failure at the goal line.
Purdue - Defense couldn't stop Purdue all day. Two holding calls in a row stifled any chance to burn the clock.
NW - No excuses on this one. Hello coaches, Fant is on the sidelines.
Michigan - No excuses, just not good enough on offense.
Penn State - No excuses, just not good enough on offense.

It's a combination of factors, it's not one thing. Not sold on BF being the head coach, unless it's 5 years from now, and Iowa's offense starts clicking in the meantime, then I'd be in favor of it. We'll see.
If “ifs” and “buts” we’re candy and nuts we’d all have a merry Christmas. I can make excuses for anything you want, but at the end of the day a loss is a loss and Brian Ferentz isn’t the only one in NCAA football who has the above things happen to him. You think he’s magically the only one in football with a rain cloud following him around? The record speaks for itself, his team chokes in big games and the sample size is sufficient by now.

Bottom line is this guy’s going to be the head coach in a few years with no experience running a team and a long history of losing almost every game that’s relevant to conference play.

Not 10 out of 11 times.

except it's only 10 out of 11 when you cherry pick the numbers. I recall them beating an above average ISU team all 3 seasons, Boston College, Mississippi State.... look, it's not great, but you're leaving out games against quality opponents that they've won during this time and it's not really a full picture.

If “ifs” and “buts” we’re candy and nuts we’d all have a merry Christmas.

Bottom line is this kid’s going to be the head coach in a few years with no experience running a team and a long history of losing almost every game that’s relevant to conference play.
Almost clever how you placed all of these losses on him.

Hardly and ifs and buts analysis, just pointing out that the losses are multi-factored.

At this point we have to say that BF has been a failure as OC. Iowa wins despite offense, it's FG and defense that save the day for us. I'd have to think Iowa's record would be even worse if it wasn't for Wadley and his big play ability.

Against the non conference this year Iowa averaged over 34ppg. Once we got to conference play, it's just over 15ppg. Yes, quality of teams get better in conference but to not even get over 20ppg in this era of college football is pathetic.

There is so much blame to go around, and most of it starts at the top. This is what KF football is after 2006. He wants ball control, clock control, and defense to pitch shutouts. 99% of our passing attack is within FIVE yards of the LOS, and directed towards the sideline. This is to minimize risk & turnovers. Stanley throws a bad pass to the sideline, most likely it's 10 yards over the WR head and no risk to be INT.

To think the bye week will clean some things up is delusional. WI is going to eat this offense's lunch. I'm not going to predict a beat down like others, instead I think it'll be a 13-10 game. It's rare these games are high scoring. Iowa's defense is legit and I can see them slowing down Taylor.

But like usual, and the record that was mentioned above....Iowa does not beat teams with winning records. Unless the defense scores 2+ TD, it'll be another loss and division champion goes down with it

The bottom line is Brian Ferentz is NOT going to be Iowa's next HC without some sort of level of achievement for the program with him as the OC...a Rose Bowl, a conference title, a west title. SOMETHING. Iowa is going to have to win SOMETHING with him as the OC - period. He has not done enough to get the keys to the kingdom and I think people that keep telling us he has are just trolling at their finest. There is no done deal, there is no bottom line. I believe the next HC at Iowa is going to be ANY other person in the world besides BF without something tangible and to be honest, I am cheering for them to bring something like that home so I can get on the bandwagon. I'd welcome it any day now.