Brian/Nate's Objective Performance

LOL, Title of the thread is a JOKE! There is nothing objective about this post. You found a stat you want to use to paint a picture, so you set the parameters to fit your agenda, and make that claim that ONLY these games matter.
I know you're mad, but I didn't set any parameters to fit any agenda.

First of all, conference games are the only ones that matter. The only way to win a conference title is to win conference games. ISU, North Texas, Boston College...none of those mean a thing other than the AP poll and rah rah rah. I like winning those games for sure, but they have zero effect on winning the B1G or B1G West.

Now that we've established that, I included every single conference game that Brian and Nate have coached/played. How is that not being objective? I did say that a quality win is one against a team over .500 in conference; are you arguing that point?

Prove to me that any non-conference game means anything other than pride.

Here's a tip. Save yourself the agony and don't watch the Wisconsin game. If Iowa wins, you can watch it later. If they lose, you get to say I told you so.

I won't see it, or the game after. I'll be off the grid.

This is the 3rd year in a row I'll miss a few November games. Each year when I plug back into life, i'm not surprised at the Iowa results

Why is losing to sub .500 teams ok, but losing to above .500 teams isn't ok? Lets say Iowa goes 6-3 in conference play, and they go 3-0 vs above .500 teams and go 3-3 vs sub .500 teams. How is that any better or worse than going 6-0 vs sub .500 teams and going 0-3 vs above .500 teams?
It isn't any worse. If we didn't have the situation I mentioned in the OP, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

But okay...

First of all, conference games are the only ones that matter. The only way to win a conference title is to win conference games. ISU, North Texas, Boston College...none of those mean a thing other than the AP poll and rah rah rah. I like winning those games for sure, but they have zero effect on winning the B1G or B1G West.

Now that we've established that, I included every single conference game that Brian and Nate have coached/played. How is that not being objective. I did say that a quality win is one against a team over .500 in conference; are you arguing that point?

I agree with this. While I want Iowa to win every single game on their schedule, I don't get as annoyed with a OOC loss.

My expectations for Iowa football is to win the division. Doesn't matter the record, just get to the Championship game and anything can happen. That would mean some years best case Iowa is in the Playoff picture, and that's exciting. Worst case, Iowa has a chance to win the Big10...

I won't see it, or the game after. I'll be off the grid.

This is the 3rd year in a row I'll miss a few November games. Each year when I plug back into life, i'm not surprised at the Iowa results
I hope by off the grid you mean you're going on a fishing or hunting trip, or something fun.

I'm not going to argue the facts regarding the B10 record. You can't spin it to make it look like we have performed with the West Conference Title on the line. I like alot of what he has done with the offense from a passing game standpoint...but the bottom line is that we don't make plays in big moments...and the other team does. Now, here we are again...much like last year...with complete control of our destiny. Let's see how things go.

I would argue that we have done some good things in beating ISU 5 straight and the last two with ISU being a solid team...5 straight against Nebraska...5 straight against Minnesota...bowl win against MSU.

It just goes to show how big a game this is in Wisconsin in two weeks for Brian Ferentz. Does he break through, or is this another disappointing game against the Badgers. I'm not optimistic about us going to Camp Randall and coming home with the Victory.

My namesake fucking sucks, folks. I do wonder how much is son and how much is dad, but we’ve been undisputedly terrible against anyone with a winning record in conference play the last three seasons, no matter how good the defense is.
Well you did beat Minnesota last year. After they won their bowl game they finished with a winning record. Does that count??????

Now that we've established that, I included every single conference game that Brian and Nate have coached/played. How is that not being objective? I did say that a quality win is one against a team over .500 in conference; are you arguing that point?

You didn't set this parameter? You want the parameters you set because you don't want Brain to get any credit at all for being 11-0 in 11 non conference games (4-0 vs P5 teams with winning records).

You didn't set this parameter? You want the parameters you set because you don't want Brain to get any credit at all for being 11-0 in 11 non conference games (4-0 vs P5 teams with winning records).
Like I said in the last two posts, show me how 11-0 in non conference games has any bearing on a conference title.

I'll wait...

If you want feel good, participation trophy "credit," knock yourself out. None of those 11 games does anything to win a title. You're basically saying that you don't care about comparative success, and that your idea of a successful season is getting to go to Florida to watch the 78th Hawkeye Outback Bowl. And that's fine; I got no problem with that.

But if we're looking to win a B1G at some point, then losing to almost every decent conference foe every year isn't going to cut it.

Last edited:
I don't think he's trolling, and he does have his finger on the pulse of Iowa, especially more than I. But I am ok disagreeing with him. I am ok to not share his opinion. I think he's wrong. If KF walked away tomorrow I don't believe BF would be the next coach at Iowa. Iowa has had 2 coaches in 40+ years. They gave Bob Stoops, the "thanks, we'll call ya, we still have a few more interviews" .... BF is not the next coach at Iowa until he is and it's gonna take a lot more. I would say winning the West this year would be step 1..... so, for those of you who don't want another Ferentz as our HC, ya better cheer for the team in red next Saturday. Personally, I'm going the other way.
Is Kirk going to be allowed to name his successor???

The bottom line is Brian Ferentz is NOT going to be Iowa's next HC without some sort of level of achievement for the program with him as the OC...a Rose Bowl, a conference title, a west title. SOMETHING. Iowa is going to have to win SOMETHING with him as the OC - period. He has not done enough to get the keys to the kingdom and I think people that keep telling us he has are just trolling at their finest. There is no done deal, there is no bottom line. I believe the next HC at Iowa is going to be ANY other person in the world besides BF without something tangible and to be honest, I am cheering for them to bring something like that home so I can get on the bandwagon. I'd welcome it any day now.
In the eyes of Barta and the boosters, Brian does have SOMETHING.

His last name, and that's all he needs.

Like I said in the last two posts, show me how 11-0 in non conference games has any bearing on a conference title.

I'll wait...

If you want feel good, participation trophy credit, knock yourself out. None of those 11 games does anything to win a title. You're basically saying that you don't care about comparative success, and that your idea of a successful season is getting to go to Florida to watch the 78th Hawkeye Outback Bowl. And that's fine; I got no problem with that.

But if we're looking to win a B1G at some point, then losing to almost every decent conference foe every year isn't going to cut it.

So you admit that you are setting parameter to your argument, that is a good start.

Being 11-0 in your non conference is very relevant, as it gets Iowa in the top 25. Would I prefer that we lost to ISU and beat either Michigan or Penn St? You sure as hell bet I do. Yet to claim that a win in the non conference is completely and totally meaningless is just beyond stupid.

I say yes, my brotha @InGoodCo says no. Either way the children's hospital is gettin' paid.

How many HC's name their successor anywhere? How often has that happened period? I am sure it's happened, but I would say that odds are unlikely that being a thing at any place anywhere ever.

In the eyes of Barta and the boosters, Brian does have SOMETHING.

His last name, and that's all he needs.
disagree - he needs a lot more then a last name, one of which most Iowa fans are fatigued on. It probably hurts him the longer this goes without "something".

How many HC's name their successor anywhere? How often has that happened period? I am sure it's happened, but I would say that odds are unlikely that being a thing at any place anywhere ever.

I'm not sure if KF will directly name his successor but we all know he's never getting fired. He'll retire when he wants to. And I'm thinking he'll hold on until he has assurances from the powers that be that Brian is the next HC.

So you admit that you are setting parameter to your argument, that is a good start.

Being 11-0 in your non conference is very relevant, as it gets Iowa in the top 25. Would I prefer that we lost to ISU and beat either Michigan or Penn St? You sure as hell bet I do. Yet to claim that a win in the non conference is completely and totally meaningless is just beyond stupid.

How bout we just count ALL the games like every other person in the world?

Being 11-0 in your non conference is very relevant, as it gets Iowa in the top 25.
On what planet does being "in the top 25" mean anything other than feel-good?

You just keep showing more and more that you don't care about winning anything other than the opportunity to go watch an exhibition game against some middle of the road SEC team in December.

Top 25 doesn't win the West, or the B1G, or anything else. It's a fucking figure skating score popularity contest.

Give me a substantive example of what being ranked does to the outcome of your season and your finish in the conference standings.

Latest posts