Band Member's Social Media Post

... On Friday, UI spokeswoman Janeane Beck released a statement that reads, and take note what her inital emphasis is: "The communication on social media made it clear we had not shared enough information with our students about the steps the university has taken to address the concerns raised by members of our marching band."

It is obvious they still don't want to seriously investigate. Seems to me she is saying the investigation was fine, they just did a poor job of communicating all the dedicated and hard work they conducted. Yeah right. That is total bullshit. Tell that to the band members who weren't even interviewed...

Your entire post is spot-on but I just about went through the roof when I read Janeane Beck's statement, which you've included above. That is tantamount to blaming the victim for being too stupid to understand what the university did to look into this.

Clearly they did very little and want this to go away as soon as possible.

I hope the band members keep standing up for themselves, both for the victims but also as a unit, as family. Because it's pretty clear some higher-ups (with the exception of the band director, bless his soul) are not.

I...

Wow.

Okay.

I'm an Iowa student. Between my major and where I work, I know more than my fair share of band members. I've been hearing stories all week of all the things that went down, but was asked not to share by bandmembers since they technically weren't supposed to tell me.

I saw the posts and followed the thread from this earlier this week really wanting to tell everyone about the presser that went out early in the week and to fill in details about what went down. I wanted to tell everyone that this was going to be a whole thing. I wanted to say that Pollard's comments were going to look bad really, really fast.

Can confirm there is a band member with a broken rib. There was sexual harassment. Beer was spilled/sprayed at them. Bottles/cans got thrown. People were shoved. This wasn't just having obscenities thrown at the band by students. This was grown-ass men harassing our band in Ames and the fact that some of us aren't pissed about this is absolutely nuts.

Look, Rob/John/any beat-writer who reads this, I'm more than happy to put you in touch with people I know in the band. You'll probably get such spicy quotes as "I'm actually scared that we'll have to go to Iowa State again next time" (direct quote from a friend). You can write a piece that confirms what they've been saying. Been told they don't care about the gag order they had anymore, they want to bring attention to this.

I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up with the band missing a home game this season. It's not something I have heard thrown around, but I know plenty of people who are livid this morning.

Whether Barta was hedging or not, his response to this was miserable. I've almost always sided with administration and contract extensions and the whole nine yards, but I'm very upset by how this was handled.
Just the existence of a gag order tells me there's a skunk in the woodpile. But as others have said in this day and age there's got to be video evidence somewhere. Not from the band members but from bystanders, fans...

Buses are parked on 4th street facing east right outside the stadium. They would have to walk north outside the stadium just past the Jacobsen building to the road. They also wouldn’t be on the student section side of the stadium. It’s a very short period of time when this could have possibly happened.

What is your point for saying there's a very short time for when this could have possibly happened? Are you saying it's probably a lie? What's more likely, drunks being dicks, or people completely making shit up?

Sweet pic dude!! How long did you spend on the internet to find that?

So, are those the band buses? Or are they just buses dripping off a bunch of old bitties from an Ankeny retirement home?

Were they parked there the entire game like you suggest? Why don't you search the internet for the proof!

That is the first time I have seen the parking situation for ISU. That road in front there sure looks like what should be a fire lane to me.

But once again, way to win the internet! Congrats tough guy, I am sure your mama is proud.
JFC Pollard or are you Barta, you're the guy that said they'd be blocking the entrance. They're not. Do you're job quit making excuses.

Buses are parked on 4th street facing east right outside the stadium. They would have to walk north outside the stadium just past the Jacobsen building to the road. They also wouldn’t be on the student section side of the stadium. It’s a very short period of time when this could have possibly happened.
Do they walk to Hilton now? Done that.

Just the existence of a gag order tells me there's a skunk in the woodpile. But as others have said in this day and age there's got to be video evidence somewhere. Not from the band members but from bystanders, fans...

Most people when leaving the stadium at Iowa games don't have camera's out on a nice day after a win, so why would you expect there to be anyone video taping after a 6 hour game after a loss. From the pictures shown, the band was not near Iowa fans so they were likely heading out other areas of the stadium and Iowa State fans wouldn't have any reason to be taking video of our band.

Also - for those that keep asking why this is the athletic department's problem, many years ago the marching band was considered a part of the athletic department on game days. I don't know if that is still the case. Hayden even stopped by our practice a couple of times while I was in school.

JFC Pollard or are you Barta, you're the guy that said they'd be blocking the entrance. They're not. Do you're job quit making excuses.
Way to call me a name instead of answering my question.

And were you the guy who said they should pull the bus right up to the stadium? I don't see how that is possible from the pretty picture you found for us.

Way to call me a name instead of answering my question.

And were you the guy who said they should pull the bus right up to the stadium? I don't see how that is possible from the pretty picture you found for us.
How about this. You're so stupid you make me mad that you are this stupid.

I'd like to apologise to Pollard and Barta for joking comparing them to gester that was low blow.

I don't want to waste anymore time on you getting your critical thinking light bulb to come on. Pictures and PowerPoint don't work.

Have the last word as I don't care and won't read it.

Signed
One tough MFer

We are debating separate issues. I agree that it is terrible that people would act in such a way towards others. However, law enforcement should investigate. The University doesnt have to lead an inquiry or cause action. They are potentially under the microscope in regards to protecting their students as official representatives of the university. But the University is not at fault or should not be expected to act as law enforcement. Unless it is shown that they were negligent in standard travel or security protocols, Iowa State University and any security staff/law enforcement should be under the microscope. In the end, there were victims and perpetrators. The victims go to law enforcement to find those responsible and arrest/prosecute.

I understand your points. I guess we would have to ask the affected students why their course of action.

Again speculation but these are college kids representing the university at an extremely high profile nationally televised event. Given that maybe initially they thought the university would have their backs? And it appears that is exactly what they thought? Maybe band members are ultra- compliant? Maybe the 4 officers saw a lot of this behavior and did nothing? How much trust would you then place in the authorities? Is it possible if they had been Johnson County officers we would be hearing more? It is a very weird story to say the least.

You might be correct about the UI's "jurisdiction" but by them then coming out and declaring the investigation over sends some pretty conflicting messages as to who is in charge, to say the least. What is clear is that they got spooked for whatever reason, or mutiple reasons actually, AND they really don't give a shit about their marching band. No one can debate this now.

Look. Did you hear any of the rhabdo -afflicted players speaking out? I know it wasn't a crime but they were muzzled as well. Damage control. Most of them didn't even want to speak to the Regents appointed and run investigation. That investigation was far from independent.

Members of groups/young adults who are NOT in positions of power often allow themselves to be intimidated and coerced by authority figures. Misguided trust that the adults will do the right thing? Well now they have learned a valuable life lesson. Not when big money is involved or the product is at risk.

I have heard rumors on other sites that the student that was assaulted was the "baton twirler" as they referred to her. Anyone hear this? Do we still call her the Golden Girl?

How about this. You're so stupid you make me mad that you are this stupid.

I'd like to apologise to Pollard and Barta for joking comparing them to gester that was low blow.

I don't want to waste anymore time on you getting your critical thinking light bulb to come on. Pictures and PowerPoint don't work.

Have the last word as I don't care and won't read it.

Signed
One tough MFer
No worries mate. Read, don't read, don't care.

You are the dude that went off and got all personal attacky because I responded with your question asking why the busses weren't pull right up to the stadium with a quip about the drunks possibly being in the way.

And after all the attacks, name calling, and insults, I just want to say thank you. Your ridiculous overreaction and my subsequent goading has really made the bye week fly by.

Thanks, and you may want to seek anger management counseling.

ProudHawk I am not trolling you here but genuine question: Are you saying the band members should self-organize and go above the UI administration and go directly to the police?

I think that would be difficult at this point because those in charge from their own university made it very clear they would not support them.

Evidence? They apparently didn't bother interviewing some or all of the victims before declaring the investigation over.

This is how it works. People in charge that want controversy to go away either look the other way and/or play the stalling game. Or go into character assassination which I seriously doubt happens here.

Even for some Iowa fans it took the "official" report stating the fact the rhabdo players themselves weren't responsible before they believed it. And some probably still don't. It is called victim-blaming. I know you want the band to be strong and tough. Who doesn't want to be strong and tough and stand up for your rights. But is there a little bit of victim-blaming going on here? Not you necessarily. Just asking.

I understand your points. I guess we would have to ask the affected students why their course of action.

Again speculation but these are college kids representing the university at an extremely high profile nationally televised event. Given that maybe initially they thought the university would have their backs? And it appears that is exactly what they thought? Maybe band members are ultra- compliant? Maybe the 4 officers saw a lot of this behavior and did nothing? How much trust would you then place in the authorities? Is it possible if they had been Johnson County officers we would be hearing more? It is a very weird story to say the least.

You might be correct about the UI's "jurisdiction" but by them then coming out and declaring the investigation over sends some pretty conflicting messages as to who is in charge, to say the least. What is clear is that they got spooked for whatever reason, or mutiple reasons actually, AND they really don't give a shit about their marching band. No one can debate this now.

Look. Did you hear any of the rhabdo -afflicted players speaking out? I know it wasn't a crime but they were muzzled as well. Damage control. Most of them didn't even want to speak to the Regents appointed and run investigation. That investigation was far from independent.

Members of groups/young adults who are NOT in positions of power often allow themselves to be intimidated and coerced by authority figures. Misguided trust that the adults will do the right thing? Well now they have learned a valuable life lesson. Not when big money is involved or the product is at risk.

I have heard rumors on other sites that the student that was assaulted was the "baton twirler" as they referred to her. Anyone hear this? Do we still call her the Golden Girl?
Well said. I dont completely disagree and I'm not unaffected by the plight of these students. I have compassion for them. If I was there and saw it occurring, our fans or theirs I would have interjected in some way shape or form even to my detriment. I understand that is how I would react and I realize that everyone reacts in their own way. But, lesson learned, you have to stand up for yourself and going after the university as your target I believe is misguided. Walk into a police department. Call a representative. Get a lawyer. Something. What is the university going to do? Honestly. What power would the u of iowa have to rectify this situation. You can rest assured that they realize the pressure will be on going forward to properly secure the band and cheerleaders going forward home and away. But still, at some point, the students being adults in society must act like adults. It is a lesson. Life will steamroll you in the future if you dont stand up for yourself. Maybe they see the university as that authority that can help. They are most certainly wrong. At this point, they should seek justice from law enforcement and a commitment from the university to better secure their place in a stadium.

Apparently you’re correct.

@Chris Williams is calling what happened to Band members a "PR" Stunt? What possible reason would the band members have for making this stuff up? Hell, most of the band members could care less about the game. Idiot adults like Chris Williams are the problem. He has absolutely no concern that it is likely some form of assault occurred.

@Chris Williams is calling what happened to Band members a "PR" Stunt? What possible reason would the band members have for making this stuff up? Hell, most of the band members could care less about the game. Idiot adults like Chris Williams are the problem. He has absolutely no concern that it is likely some form of assault occurred.

He implied U I was doing a stunt. Not students.

Well said. I dont completely disagree and I'm not unaffected by the plight of these students. I have compassion for them. If I was there and saw it occurring, our fans or theirs I would have interjected in some way shape or form even to my detriment. I understand that is how I would react and I realize that everyone reacts in their own way. But, lesson learned, you have to stand up for yourself and going after the university as your target I believe is misguided. Walk into a police department. Call a representative. Get a lawyer. Something. What is the university going to do? Honestly. What power would the u of iowa have to rectify this situation. You can rest assured that they realize the pressure will be on going forward to properly secure the band and cheerleaders going forward home and away. But still, at some point, the students being adults in society must act like adults. It is a lesson. Life will steamroll you in the future if you dont stand up for yourself. Maybe they see the university as that authority that can help. They are most certainly wrong. At this point, they should seek justice from law enforcement and a commitment from the university to better secure their place in a stadium.

You are clearly naive in the ways of how the world operates at so many levels on this Pwoud.

Latest posts