Band Member's Social Media Post

Deadspin jumps on board

Iowa Reopens Investigation Into Assaults On Marching Band After Students Call Bullshit On Initial Admin Response

https://deadspin.com/iowa-reopens-investigation-into-assaults-on-marching-ba-1838313559

There was really no reason for Basta to whitewash this

broom2.jpg

:cool:

See what you did @hawkeyebob62 ?

You give @Fryowa one compliment, and it goes to his head.

Now he wants to let Gary "wouldn't trust him to run my HawkeyeNation account" Barta have a nuke !!

Fryowa is right. As am I.

First, the band is not--and should never be--within Gary Barta's purview.

Second, the University of Iowa does not, should not, and I pray never does, investigate "crimes" that take place in Ames, Iowa. The best they can do is get the info from those students/staff affected. Beyond that, they can, at best, pass the info on. From there? Nothing they can, or should, do.

This is one place I sort of agree with you on. The Ath Dept shouldnt be responsible for the band but it was an athletic event. If Barta would have somewhat stayed on the sidelines and let the UI handle the very first press release and the investigation with Story County things might have gone differently .

But maybe the BAnd directors and Band are under the auspices of the Ath Dept on road trips, I dont know and neither do most. The Band Director and Chair of Music Dept should have went to the Prez for all he good that would do and other authorities.

And then Pollard derp wouldnt have got involved with conjuring up issues from previous years (and I know and have seen Iowa fans in ICity who are rude to visitor fans, havent seen it to the visitors band).

Barta + Pollard = "disaster"...ESPECIALLY in this type of scenario. Barta should have referred it higher up, and that would be that. Not his purview.

Yes, but Barta also sent out that statement a few days ago addressing the problem. As far as I'm concerned, he is part of all this and a big figure head at the UofI. Our President must be hiding in a hole somewhere.

Our President is who should be addressing it. Barta should not be, other than to say, "We are referring this up the chain to people who actually care about our marching band"

Do you ever take off your face paint or is it just a permanent smear?

How bleepin ignorant are you BOB?

Barta started this by making the first statement. If you took the time to do some critical thinking and pull your bobblehead out of your ass you might actually realize what is going on visa vi the Board of Regents, Big Donors, Athletic Department, UI administration ...

Serious question: Are you a UI administrator?

<<Serious question: Are you a UI administrator?>>

That's as bad as being asked "Do you work here?" when walking through Target or Wal-Mart. And no, I don't think less of you for aspiring to a middle-management position at those two venerable retail establishments.

Second, the University of Iowa does not, should not, and I pray never does, investigate "crimes" that take place in Ames, Iowa. The best they can do is get the info from those students/staff affected. Beyond that, they can, at best, pass the info on. From there? Nothing they can, or should, do.
You're preaching to the choir, man.

I said the same thing back in post #16.

But I'm tired of debating w/ people who are too emotional to make that assessment. Just football for me this week-end!

I scare you? The truth I posted should scare you or at least give you pause.

College sports is waaaay out of control but you just don't want to believe it. You are in denial. Even our great Kirk Ferentz has been corrupted at times.

Why are you in denial Bob? What is your investment?

My investment? JFC, what are you, bucking for a job on Dateline?

You're preaching to the choir, man.

I said the same thing back in post #16.

But I'm tired of debating w/ people who are too emotional to make that assessment. Just football for me this week-end!

Speaking of just football, bye weeks suck, and yet they don't. Plenty of good viewing, still, and I can also peel away for necessary "chores". Looks like Wisconsin is for real. VERY real. That, or Michigan is, yet again, overrated.

Kill joy. the band is part of the UI and part of their mission is to march at football games.

Yes, it is up to others to decide if they go into hostile territory.

I think with all the money the UI has they could have better security going forward.

Nobody is going to mess with the football players but maybe the trainers and equipment crew.

bummer this happens
I'm not a complete killjoy. But when the bands start dominating the headlines, I'm done. I want the band. But it's not a birthright. It's a very small part of the event each Saturday.

R u one of those that marched in your football uniform? Is that why you are angry?
I'm not angry. I dont have time for adults crying to teacher or mommy. Sack up. Go through legal channels and quit whining. Nope. Started soph through Sr varsity, didnt dress as a freshman, marched my heart out. I'd kick my own band @ss Jim Carey style if I heard my band self bitching about someone picking on me.

I'm not a complete killjoy. But when the bands start dominating the headlines, I'm done. I want the band. But it's not a birthright. It's a very small part of the event each Saturday.

But it is not the band's fault but the fault of idiot people doing assault and people in charge not taking precautions.

This does not need to happen.

Overreact much buddy. Going for a personal attack when I respond with a simple, practical answer. Way to win the internet tough guy.

Or how about this, the band will most likely arrive prior to the game starting. Name one sporting event/venue that is going to allow buses (multiple) to block an entrance for that time?

Or how about a little thing called fire lanes?

Or who is DUMB enough to park an opposing team's band buses in the middle of the drunken fans?
Where to begin, nope just going to pass on wasting time on the painful process of getting the lightbulb to go on for you.

Hey here's a pic of such a thing to help with your critical thinking.

https://images.app.goo.gl/U8UyiGN8tYJ8rZxQ8

Last edited:

Oh geeze, they need to investigate what they can do to better the safety of the band members.

Where to begin, nope just going to pass on wasting time on the painful process of getting the lightbulb to go on for you.

Hey here's a pic of such a thing to help with your critical thinking.

https://images.app.goo.gl/U8UyiGN8tYJ8rZxQ8
Sweet pic dude!! How long did you spend on the internet to find that?

So, are those the band buses? Or are they just buses dripping off a bunch of old bitties from an Ankeny retirement home?

Were they parked there the entire game like you suggest? Why don't you search the internet for the proof!

That is the first time I have seen the parking situation for ISU. That road in front there sure looks like what should be a fire lane to me.

But once again, way to win the internet! Congrats tough guy, I am sure your mama is proud.

I don't think it's the band's fault. It's a matter for the authorities.

You are correct. I suspect the band members first went to their leaders because they thought that would be the most appropriate thing to do. The first step. ?? The young man who was struck in the arm by the bottle said he gave the info to the band leader who then forwarded his and others' stories to Barta. The young man even sent his own email to Barta. I believe UI officials initially never said anything about looking into their allegations but instead instructed them to "watch what you post to social media."

5 days later and 2 or 3 days after the statement by Barta (or Harreld) notifying everyone that the investigation was over, the band member who was struck had yet to be contacted by anyone from the UI. We know Pollard didn't want to investigate, and apparently Barta and Harreld didn't either, OR higher ups at the Regents level or the power brokers who actually dictate what direction and action the universities take instructed them to do nothing. They could have forwarded the information they received from band members or the band director to the authorities in Ames or even at the state level. They apparently chose not to. If so, why?

What is perplexing is where was the "security detail"? The 4 officers, 3 of which were from Polk County? It sounds like the band may have gotten separated into smaller groups following the game and this is when the young woman was cornered by fans and groped. Is this the sexual assault that has been reported? Is this the same member who allegedly suffered fractured ribs? How was this immediately handled? Was she transported to an Ames hospital and how? Hopefully the officers will be interviewed.

The accompanying photographs of the news stories showing the band seated in their section sandwiched between ISU dominated sections show no apparent officers or security detail. This was during the game. I have no idea how many band members travel but it appears to be close to a couple of hundred from the photograph. Maybe this was only part of the band and the officers were out of the picture?

Lots of questions and it seems impossible that anyone or any agency could have completed an investigation in two days. The band member related that they were in a rehearsal when the news broke that the investigation was over. They put their misguided trust in UI officials. That is when they went to social media out of anger.

The national media got involved and UI officials did damage control. Given the context don't be surprised if the "reopened investigation" is a bigger joke than the original investigation. On Friday, UI spokeswoman Janeane Beck released a statement that reads, and take note what her inital emphasis is: "The communication on social media made it clear we had not shared enough information with our students about the steps the university has taken to address the concerns raised by members of our marching band."

It is obvious they still don't want to seriously investigate. Seems to me she is saying the investigation was fine, they just did a poor job of communicating all the dedicated and hard work they conducted. Yeah right. That is total bullshit. Tell that to the band members who weren't even interviewed.

And what about Jamie Pollard? What has he been up to? This happened on his turf. Who will he blame next when he finally crawls out of his spider hole?

Last edited:
Actually it is quite possible spokewoman Janeane Beck is telling everyone that those "steps the university has taken"
is how they plan on avoiding any future incidents. That won't sit well with the band if that is all she is referring to.

You are correct. I suspect the band members first went to their leaders because they thought that would be the most appropriate thing to do. The first step. ?? The young man who was struck in the arm by the bottle said he gave the info to the band leader who then forwarded his and others' stories to Barta. The young man even sent his own email to Barta. I believe UI officials initially never said anything about looking into their allegations but instead instructed them to "watch what you post to social media."

5 days later and 2 or 3 days after the statement by Barta (or Harreld) notifying everyone that the investigation was over, the band member who was struck had yet to be contacted by anyone from the UI. We know Pollard didn't want to investigate, and apparently Barta and Harreld didn't either, OR higher ups at the Regents level or the power brokers who actually dictate what direction and action the universities take instructed them to do nothing. They could have forwarded the information they received from band members or the band director to the authorities in Ames or even at the state level. They apparently chose not to. If so, why?

What is perplexing is where was the "security detail"? The 4 officers, 3 of which were from Polk County? It sounds like the band may have gotten separated into smaller groups following the game and this is when the young woman was cornered by fans and groped. Is this the sexual assault that has been reported? Is this the same member who allegedly suffered fractured ribs? How was this immediately handled? Was she transported to an Ames hospital and how? Hopefully the officers will be interviewed.

The accompanying photographs of the news stories showing the band seated in their section sandwiched between ISU dominated sections show no apparent officers or security detail. This was during the game. I have no idea how many band members travel but it appears to be close to a couple of hundred from the photograph. Maybe this was only part of the band and the officers were out of the picture?

Lots of questions and it seems impossible that anyone or any agency could have completed an investigation in two days. The band member related that they were in a rehearsal when the news broke that the investigation was over. They put their misguided trust in UI officials. That is when they went to social media out of anger.

The national media got involved and UI officials did damage control. Given the context don't be surprised if the "reopened investigation" is a bigger joke than the original investigation. On Friday, UI spokeswoman Janeane Beck released a statement that reads, and take note what her inital emphasis is: "The communication on social media made it clear we had not shared enough information with our students about the steps the university has taken to address the concerns raised by members of our marching band."

It is obvious they still don't want to seriously investigate. Seems to me she is saying the investigation was fine, they just did a poor job of communicating all the dedicated and hard work they conducted. Yeah right. That is total bullshit. Tell that to the band members who weren't even interviewed.

And what about Jamie Pollard? What has he been up to? This happened on his turf. Who will he blame next when he finally crawls out of his spider hole?
We are debating separate issues. I agree that it is terrible that people would act in such a way towards others. However, law enforcement should investigate. The University doesnt have to lead an inquiry or cause action. They are potentially under the microscope in regards to protecting their students as official representatives of the university. But the University is not at fault or should not be expected to act as law enforcement. Unless it is shown that they were negligent in standard travel or security protocols, Iowa State University and any security staff/law enforcement should be under the microscope. In the end, there were victims and perpetrators. The victims go to law enforcement to find those responsible and arrest/prosecute.

Latest posts