***OFFICIAL HAWKS CRAP IN PURPLE KITTIES LITTER BOX GAME THREAD***

When it comes to bashing JBo the main thing I don't like is how he wears white shoes with the road black jerseys... I wish all those guys would coordinate their shoes more. I love the bright black and yellow Nikes some of the guys have. I just think the white on black clashes in a bad way.. But that's just me

Absolutely cannot agree more. Connor is not only setting up his man, hes setting up the defender guarding him. And getting them into foul trouble. And forcing to go zone more they would prefer. Getting to the line and hitting 80% doesn't hurt either.

JBo is no slouch at this either. Last night with the game still in the balance around the 1:30-2:00 mark, Northwestern was in no mood to put us on the line. We ran two excellent possessions, got a break wirh the kicked ball, and JBo finished inside.

What I took out of last night's game, other than the effort, was that at the end we dictated to both teams. Collins was out of options. We closed the trap with our queens and rooks and bishops and checkmated him right on his own floor. Hence his calling off the dogs with fifty seconds to go.

If you have assumed control of the game to the point where it's like you're coaching both teams because you've forced their hand you should seldom lose. Excellent job by Fran as well.
Collins should be ashamed of himself for allowing his team to chuck so many 3 pt shots that early in the shot clock. Horrible coaching job on his part.

When it comes to bashing JBo the main thing I don't like is how he wears white shoes with the road black jerseys... I wish all those guys would coordinate their shoes more. I love the bright black and yellow Nikes some of the guys have. I just think the white on black clashes in a bad way.. But that's just me

haha, yeah, I hate how he folds over the elastic on all of his uni's. I bet he thinks it's pretty cool tho

they did that their SENIOR seasons, after maturing and developing their game. Iowa currently only has 1 Sr contributor, who was a walk on. Hard for me to say this team doesn't have the work eithic. I think you've seen a similar, or if not more rapid arch for Cook. In fact, I would say he's ahead of those two at this point, but he had more raw athletic ability to work with so he had a head start. I think Luka is on a similar trajectory. Same with Wiesy.

Iowa has scorers at all 5 spots now. Seriously, every player in the lineup has had at least 1 20 point game this season if not multiple ones. Dangerous for teams to prepare for. Play serviceable defense and who knows how good they can be.

Yeah I agree with all of that. My point to the person I quoted was that there are players who have improved while at Iowa. He suggested nobody ever improves under Fran.

Yeah I agree with all of that. My point to the person I quoted was that there are players who have improved while at Iowa. He suggested nobody ever improves under Fran.
Yeah that'd be an easy list to put together. Marble sure got better. Uthoff got stronger and better. White, Could go on and on with that.

Yeah that'd be an easy list to put together. Marble sure got better. Uthoff got stronger and better. White, Could go on and on with that.

yeah there are examples both ways. Basabe never seemed to get better from his freshman year. I still don't feel like Bohannon has changed much from his Freshman year. Great 3 point shooter...the end.

yeah there are examples both ways. Basabe never seemed to get better from his freshman year. I still don't feel like Bohannon has changed much from his Freshman year. Great 3 point shooter...the end.
Of course. JBos physical limitations have a bit to do with his ability being able to improve. The Hawk I'm still butt hurt over not ever really improving was Glen Worley back in the day.... His freshman year he was pretty good but it seemed like it was his best overall season too.

Of course. JBos physical limitations have a bit to do with his ability being able to improve. The Hawk I'm still butt hurt over not ever really improving was Glen Worley back in the day.... His freshman year he was pretty good but it seemed like it was his best overall season too.

I only went to the Union like 3 times when I was in college, but all 3 times I was there I would see Glen Worley there too.

I only went to the Union like 3 times when I was in college, but all 3 times I was there I would see Glen Worley there too.

It used to be the norm for those guys to be in Union or The Sports Column back in the day. No idea how it is now, even when I make it to IC, we are rarely out past 10 downtown. Used to see Wolridge, Bowen and McCausland down there all the time when I would go to games my Freshman year with my fake ID (I did not go to Iowa, just partied there plenty) - My senior year in HS I saw Kingsbury smoking outside of one haha.

Collins should be ashamed of himself for allowing his team to chuck so many 3 pt shots that early in the shot clock. Horrible coaching job on his part.
It wasn't his finest hour by any means .They had every opportunity to get a five-eight point game down to one possession, for the last eight minutes of the game, and they didn't do it. Quick threes like you mentioned and missed free throws, it all added up.

We looked tired around the eight minute media time out, especially Wiescamp. I remember one defense rebound opportunity bouncing on the floor and a Wildcat running it down from the other side of the floor. Fran did a good job using the media time outs to get an extra minute or two of rest for his players.

Collins? He was forced to play zone more than he wanted, was forced to go deeper on his bench than he wanted, and looked helpless at games end. It was refreshing to make someone else look like that because it has happened to enough times over the years. It was nice to see another coach spit the bit for a change.

BIG Stats (5 games):

McCaffery:
17.8 MPG; 2.4 PPG; 2.4 APG; 1.0 TPG; 22% FG; 0% 3P; 66.7% FT; 4.4 PER;

Bohannon:
31.5 MPG; 12.6 PPG; 2.2 APG; 1.2 TPG; 34% FG; 36.7% 3P; 90.9% FT; 14.3 PER

Last night was a tough night for JBo. Without Cook NW could key on our 3pt shooters and it worked as Iowa only ended with 4 made threes. Good Iowa defense, bad NW offense, and Joe Weiskamp were enough for the hawks to get the win.

JBo and Cmac are different players. Cmac is stronger with the ball and can use his size to get places on the court that JBo cannot. I can appreciate what Cmac brings to the table on many nights, but B1G defenses appear to have figured him out.

Both can play better and improve and I hope both do, but I don’t think either need a role change at this point.
Northwestern's guards are 6'4-6'7". Tough matchup for Bohannon. The way 6'5" Tony Carr used to be. And that's another team that could use a beatdown. I still remember the concussion Kreiner suffered in last year's game from a shot to the head that should have been flagrant.

It wasn't his finest hour by any means .They had every opportunity to get a five-eight point game down to one possession, for the last eight minutes of the game, and they didn't do it. Quick threes like you mentioned and missed free throws, it all added up.

We looked tired around the eight minute media time out, especially Wiescamp. I remember one defense rebound opportunity bouncing on the floor and a Wildcat running it down from the other side of the floor. Fran did a good job using the media time outs to get an extra minute or two of rest for his players.

Collins? He was forced to play zone more than he wanted, was forced to go deeper on his bench than he wanted, and looked helpless at games end. It was refreshing to make someone else look like that because it has happened to enough times over the years. It was nice to see another coach spit the bit for a change.
If I'm coaching NW against Iowa? Iowa has the interior size advantage and they don't play good half court defense. I'm going to slow the game way down on the offensive end of the floor and force Iowa to guard me til the end of every shot clock. I'm going to try and wear them out when they are on the defensive end of the floor. It would be my team applying 3/4 court pressure when Iowa is on offense. Use the shot clock to limit Garza's touches.
Collins did what I consider the worst thing you can do when playing this Iowa team. Took quick shots against a bad defensive team and gave Iowa more possessions on the offensive end of the court. Awful.

If I'm coaching NW against Iowa? Iowa has the interior size advantage and they don't play good half court defense. I'm going to slow the game way down on the offensive end of the floor and force Iowa to guard me til the end of every shot clock. I'm going to try and wear them out when they are on the defensive end of the floor. It would be my team applying 3/4 court pressure when Iowa is on offense. Use the shot clock to limit Garza's touches.
Collins did what I consider the worst thing you can do when playing this Iowa team. Took quick shots against a bad defensive team and gave Iowa more possessions on the offensive end of the court. Awful.
I would love to know what "time of possession" was in that game. It was definitely in our favor and since our turnovers were reasonable we were getting shot attempts or free throw attempts almost every time down. And Northwestern can't take advantage of one of our weaknesses, half court defense, when they don't have possession of the ball.

BIG Stats (5 games):

McCaffery:
17.8 MPG; 2.4 PPG; 2.4 APG; 1.0 TPG; 22% FG; 0% 3P; 66.7% FT; 4.4 PER;

Bohannon:
31.5 MPG; 12.6 PPG; 2.2 APG; 1.2 TPG; 34% FG; 36.7% 3P; 90.9% FT; 14.3 PER

Last night was a tough night for JBo. Without Cook NW could key on our 3pt shooters and it worked as Iowa only ended with 4 made threes. Good Iowa defense, bad NW offense, and Joe Weiskamp were enough for the hawks to get the win.

JBo and Cmac are different players. Cmac is stronger with the ball and can use his size to get places on the court that JBo cannot. I can appreciate what Cmac brings to the table on many nights, but B1G defenses appear to have figured him out.

Both can play better and improve and I hope both do, but I don’t think either need a role change at this point.
Jordan had 2 huge baskets down the stretch to close this game out. He hasn't played as well this season, but you want his ball handling, shooting and experience on the floor at all key moments. Fry's had a hard on for Jordan since day 1 as have most. He thinks Jordan takes bad shots, I think he doesn't shoot enough. He is what he is and I do expect more minutes for CM as he develops, but Jordan played pretty clutch last night.
I'm sorry, but when he takes ridiculous shots from 6-7' beyond the three point line and they get turned around into easy fast breaks, it's negative points and none of that is reflected in stats. And it happens a ton.

A perfect example is last night, at the 1:00 ish mark of the 1st half, Bohannon gets a rebound, breaks back to NW's court with 2 open guys, up 32-27, and a full shot clock. Pulls up halfway between the 3 line and half court with a guy in his face, and launches a brick. For what? Easy defensive rebound and an even easier layup by Nance.

I'm not saying the kid should sit, I'm saying McCaffery (with all his shortcomings) is a better point who can pass and drive the ball better. Bohannon doesn't deal with pressure well, and when he gets defended he turtles up and forces even worse shots where McCaffery will drive out and find a smarter pass. The frustrating part is that everyone knows Bohannon isn't a true point guard--so they find someone who, even though he isn't stellar, can play the point better and they still don't play him there much.

I'm arguing for more minutes for CM at PG. Both on the floor at the same time will get Bohannon the looks that he needs.

I'm sorry, but when he takes ridiculous shots from 6-7' beyond the three point line and they get turned around into easy fast breaks, it's negative points and none of that is reflected in stats. And it happens a ton.

A perfect example is last night, at the 1:00 ish mark of the 1st half, Bohannon gets a rebound, breaks back to NW's court with 2 open guys, up 32-27, and a full shot clock. Pulls up halfway between the 3 line and half court with a guy in his face, and launches a brick. For what? Easy defensive rebound and an even easier layup by Nance.

I'm not saying the kid should sit, I'm saying McCaffery (with all his shortcomings) is a better point who can pass and drive the ball better. Bohannon doesn't deal with pressure well, and when he gets defended he turtles up and forces even worse shots where McCaffery will drive out and find a smarter pass. The frustrating part is that everyone knows Bohannon isn't a true point guard--so they find someone who, even though he isn't stellar, can play the point better and they still don't play him there much.

I'm arguing for more minutes for CM at PG. Both on the floor at the same time will get Bohannon the looks that he needs.

I've been very disappointed in how Jordan moves without the ball. He's not even trying to get open. He has no idea how to play the 2. He just stands around the perimeter. He's a .41 career 3 point shooter who's made 220 of them and is 4th in school history in 3 pters made 1/2 way through his Jr. season. He needs to shoot more of them and frankly I don't care if he does them from the parking lot if he makes them at that clip.

It used to be the norm for those guys to be in Union or The Sports Column back in the day. No idea how it is now, even when I make it to IC, we are rarely out past 10 downtown. Used to see Wolridge, Bowen and McCausland down there all the time when I would go to games my Freshman year with my fake ID (I did not go to Iowa, just partied there plenty) - My senior year in HS I saw Kingsbury smoking outside of one haha.
I tried to buy Zach McCabe a beer at SpoCo 2 hours after they beat Dayton in the NIT and he refused. I did manage to buy one for Daniel Murray though a few months after the PSU kick :)

I tried to buy Zach McCabe a beer at SpoCo 2 hours after they beat Dayton in the NIT and he refused. I did manage to buy one for Daniel Murray though a few months after the PSU kick :)

I DID buy a beer for Kent McClausland when we ran into him at The Other Place in Kansas City...but this was like 10 years ago and way passed his playing days.

I DID buy a beer for Kent McClausland when we ran into him at The Other Place in Kansas City...but this was like 10 years ago and way passed his playing days.
Nice. Speaking of him it's so hard to listen to him as the color commentator for games now. This year he did the BTN + ones and every time he said a word with the letter P in it a bomb went off in my man cave. Dude needs to pull the mic back a bit!

Latest posts