Was at the Iowa City West- Muscatine game tonight

Drakebulldog93

West had a player in Wieskamp's jock all night long. He just couldn't get a shot off from the outside I think he missed his first three, and then he started taking it to the rim. This kid is impressive as hell so quick to the basket tons of moves. Patrick is a player you watch and think God is he skinny... But he has a great first step, deceptively fast and handles the ball very well for 6'8"... He's extremely unselfish but has a much better Supporting Cast then Joe does. West was killing the clock and had Patrick at the top of the key... He saw a lane and literally blew by his Defender... Thought he was going to slam it but a defender came over at the last second and he made a great lay up in traffic.
I think Joe had 28 points tonight and literally fought for every point, and Patrick had 18. Really looking forward to seeing both these kids play for the Hawks.

Watched it online and agree with your take. Joe W didn’t have just one guy in his face though. He was going 1 on 3 often. His shot wasn’t falling so he went to the basket and wasn’t afraid of contact. Not sure how his game translates to the big 10? He’s maybe not a pure shooter but he has natural feel and handles so he’s a scorer. Won’t have JBo range. I also watched the Ames team at state with McDermott. I could see a comparison. McDermott had a better shot. Of course, playing alongside Harrison Barnes made it a bit easier!

I’m not sure how Patrick M could be considered a better prospect coming out of high school. He might be faster, longer and a better leaper than Joe W but limited in the post and a Don Uhl 3 point form? He will have time to develop. I guess you can’t teach length and athletic ability.

If Patrick can put weight on he could be really good, very smart player. Reminds me of Aaron White with his length. However, he has a very funky shot/release. I've seen him play the previous two years and wrote it off to being young and growing into his body, but now that he's a Junior he really needs to correct this. It's a slow and low shot starting from his hips, he won't be able to get that off in the BIG.

If Patrick can put weight on he could be really good, very smart player. Reminds me of Aaron White with his length. However, he has a very funky shot/release. I've seen him play the previous two years and wrote it off to being young and growing into his body, but now that he's a Junior he really needs to correct this. It's a slow and low shot starting from his hips, he won't be able to get that off in the BIG.
Only highlights I've ever seen of him are shots at the rim. Never seen his jumper I don't think. is it like as bad as that Ball kid at LAs? Most recruiting services think extremely highly of him so I'm curious if he has such an obvious chink to his armour

Only highlights I've ever seen of him are shots at the rim. Never seen his jumper I don't think. is it like as bad as that Ball kid at LAs? Most recruiting services think extremely highly of him so I'm curious if he has such an obvious chink to his armour

It's not quite as bad as Lonzo's in that Lonzo brings it from the hip of the opposite side of his shooting hand but it's still an obvious flaw that needs correction - one that needs to take place in high school, no college. Kid plays the game the right way though, high IQ like Connor.
I was very impressed with Xavier Foster as well. Hopefully Iowa has a realistic shot with him. Between Foster and Carlton being elite in-state talents Fran has been gifted a redemption opportunity, now we'll find out if he can close.

You really have to wonder how trying to correct a shot now will work out. Kind of makes ya nervous. Could change everything.

He's either got to fix that and shoot better from beyond the arc (currently shooting 26%) or gain weight and rely on his inside game.

Patrick's shot looks like the Northwestern kid from about 6 or 7 years ago. Sherna or something like that? Terribly low release point. That kid was lights out tho, so it can be done.

He's either got to fix that and shoot better from beyond the arc (currently shooting 26%) or gain weight and rely on his inside game.

It's my understanding that they removed his thyroid (or part of his thyroid gland) - something to that extent - as a part of his cancer treatment. The effects of that are going to make it difficult for PM to put weight/muscle on in the future. To your point, and because of this, I think he needs to fix his shot. Hopefully that realization takes place before he's in college.

Patrick's shot looks like the Northwestern kid from about 6 or 7 years ago. Sherna or something like that? Terribly low release point. That kid was lights out tho, so it can be done.

Yeah I remember that guy. One of the ugliest shots ever, funky herky-jerky that made the ball fly really flat. Yet often it was swish-swish-swish for him.

But if Pat shoots like that and it goes in 45% of the time, and he gets enough of them off, you still get 3 points for it. You don't get bonus style points for your form on the shot.

Yeah I remember that guy. One of the ugliest shots ever, funky herky-jerky that made the ball fly really flat. Yet often it was swish-swish-swish for him.

But if Pat shoots like that and it goes in 45% of the time, and he gets enough of them off, you still get 3 points for it. You don't get bonus style points for your form on the shot.

The only problem is that it's only gone in a tad over 26% of the time this season...

I will say this about his shot, it goes up soft. He will get shooters rolls.

Watched it online and agree with your take. Joe W didn’t have just one guy in his face though. He was going 1 on 3 often. His shot wasn’t falling so he went to the basket and wasn’t afraid of contact. Not sure how his game translates to the big 10? He’s maybe not a pure shooter but he has natural feel and handles so he’s a scorer. Won’t have JBo range. I also watched the Ames team at state with McDermott. I could see a comparison. McDermott had a better shot. Of course, playing alongside Harrison Barnes made it a bit easier!

I’m not sure how Patrick M could be considered a better prospect coming out of high school. He might be faster, longer and a better leaper than Joe W but limited in the post and a Don Uhl 3 point form? He will have time to develop. I guess you can’t teach length and athletic ability.

Not sure about the "Won't have JBo range." comment. I've seen him shoot from what we used to call the 5-second line. He was shooting as more of a heat check, but dropped in every one he attempted, and that's a good 8 feet beyond the 3 point line.

Latest posts