Rumor Mill

I say good if they saw it, took offense, and wanted it taken down. At least that means our voices are being heard and making people uncomfortable. That is about as good as a group of deranged fans can ask for.

Iowa has taken action against the media in the past. Jon can speak better to what happened with HN before I returned a few years ago. I don't know the whole story. I think it was a column that Dave S wrote about KF after '14 season.

I'm wouldn't say that Iowa is above trying to influence the message being sent out. It has a lot at stake and like most big businesses tries to keep things as positive as possible. That said, the sweeting narrative by some that think Iowa media members will lose credentials based on negative reports about the Hawkeyes is out to lunch.
Ok yeah the things I'm trying to remember were from close to 10-15 maybe a little more years ago early on in KFs tenure back when I lived in DSM area. Wish my memory was better about it but I'd be spewing out stuff trying to guess at what any of that was and that'd be pointless

That said, the sweeting narrative by some that think Iowa media members will lose credentials based on negative reports about the Hawkeyes is out to lunch.

So you're saying there are never any negative consequences for unsupportive media personnel?

BTW, I contacted Tom, who said the post from his board in the OP of this thread was absolutely false. There you go. Conspiracy squashed.

Iowa has taken action against the media in the past. Jon can speak better to what happened with HN before I returned a few years ago. I don't know the whole story. I think it was a column that Dave S wrote about KF after '14 season.

I'm wouldn't say that Iowa is above trying to influence the message being sent out. It has a lot at stake and like most big businesses tries to keep things as positive as possible. That said, the sweeting narrative by some that think Iowa media members will lose credentials based on negative reports about the Hawkeyes is out to lunch.

HN's 'credential' was yanked after I a tweet I made in 2014...it was pretty unprofessional or rather, if I am going to want to have an organization be considered for journalistic credentials, then I needed to evaluate the direction of the 'entertainment' I was going to take the brand...it's fine to be a smart ass on a blog....no one can stop you. But if you are going to be a smartass then sometimes you may have repercussions when there is a code of conduct that one is expected to follow..note I did not say kiss people's butts or protect anyone...in my experience, Iowa did not act punitively. They were changing their standards as to who got credentials, and websites were not going to get them.

Frankly, Rob and Pat Harty, then of HawkeyeInsider, are the reason some websites were credentialed again, as they were also denied....as was Brendan Stiles of Hawkeye Drive, which he closed up shop shortly thereafter.

Yeah, Alford and Noodles called me over in the fall of 2006 to sit there and try to intimidate me. I sat there and waited for them to say something..it was an awkwardly silent two minutes of everyone with arms folded just looking at each other, followed by Steve asking me who my source was on his interest in the Missouri job, and I told him that I would not tell him that, but that I believed it enough to say what I said on the radio at that time...and that was it.

There have probably been hundreds of tweets, or quotes, or radio segments since 1999 that people in Iowa City have not liked. But there was only the one instance where my access was revoked, and it was because of a policy change and also because I was a smart ass...even if I didn't like it, it's their game.

HN's 'credential' was yanked after I a tweet I made in 2014...it was pretty unprofessional or rather, if I am going to want to have an organization be considered for journalistic credentials, then I needed to evaluate the direction of the 'entertainment' I was going to take the brand...it's fine to be a smart ass on a blog....no one can stop you. But if you are going to be a smartass then sometimes you may have repercussions when there is a code of conduct that one is expected to follow..note I did not say kiss people's butts or protect anyone...in my experience, Iowa did not act punitively. They were changing their standards as to who got credentials, and websites were not going to get them.

Frankly, Rob and Pat Harty, then of HawkeyeInsider, are the reason some websites were credentialed again, as they were also denied....as was Brendan Stiles of Hawkeye Drive, which he closed up shop shortly thereafter.

Yeah, Alford and Noodles called me over in the fall of 2006 to sit there and try to intimidate me. I sat there and waited for them to say something..it was an awkwardly silent two minutes of everyone with arms folded just looking at each other, followed by Steve asking me who my source was on his interest in the Missouri job, and I told him that I would not tell him that, but that I believed it enough to say what I said on the radio at that time...and that was it.

There have probably been hundreds of tweets, or quotes, or radio segments since 1999 that people in Iowa City have not liked. But there was only the one instance where my access was revoked, and it was because of a policy change and also because I was a smart ass...even if I didn't like it, it's their game.

A few minutes with Alford big timing you? You paid your penance to the U of I for being a smart ass and more I'd say.

BTW, I contacted Tom, who said the post from his board in the OP of this thread was absolutely false. There you go. Conspiracy squashed.

Good enough. I was gonna say, because we have a couple of similar polls/threads on this board straddling that line.

Not sure why, but the scene in True Romance with Dennis Hopper and Christopher Walken came to mind lol

Pretty funny about Alford and Noodles. I can completely envision it. Were you sitting on the lawn mower?

Kakert has a history of deleting posts/threads criticizing coaches, so he probably wouldn't need the U asking him to do it.

But that was the accusation that started this thread and fed the tired narrative of the media being controlled by the U.

Tom is a friend and I trust he's telling the truth. How he runs his board is his business. And it's not an easy exercise.

But that was the accusation that started this thread and fed the tired narrative of the media being controlled by the U.

Tom is a friend and I trust he's telling the truth. How he runs his board is his business. And it's not an easy exercise.

Maybe his followers aren't as immature as your and Jon's followers!

I say not true. I'll be at least half the fan bases have a "fire the coach" thread going on their message boards. This is nothing unique to Iowa fans by any measure.

I say good if they saw it, took offense, and wanted it taken down. At least that means our voices are being heard and making people uncomfortable. That is about as good as a group of deranged fans can ask for.
That made me spit my coffee. Lol

If its true and Kakert caved to their request, it just shows what kind of influence the athletic department has over the local media.

You know as well as everyone else that the media is compliant. Been that way for a long time. Started not too long after Lute split the scene imo.

If the U of I, or any of its departments, has time to monitor message boards, I guess it COULD be true.

One reason Kirk is so strict about social media is cuz he asked for and received a report from the AD about what was out there. He didn't like what he saw.

Latest posts