Rumor Mill

As I said, I don't expect to change anyone's mind. I'll speak up now and again when I'm so moved by media bashing. No real new ideas in this thread about the local media. It's the same old predictable, tired charges.

As for BF, I was on record saying he was the guy who should get the job. I wrote about it about a year ago: LINK

I stand behind what I wrote then. In short, since most people won't read the column, KF's philosophy is the foundation and the one that guides this offense. That isn't going to change. Iowa already brought in an outside OC in Davis who had a NT on his resume but failed miserably here.

I think the odds of BF having more success working within the confines of his father's philosophy are greater than bringing in someone from the outside. Plus, experienced OCs from the outside know the landscape here.
That sums it up pretty well I think. KF isn't so inclined to bring in an outsider that would do things significantly different. He just tried that and it didn't work. He's just not especially at this point in his career. Having Brian who is as qualified as any to be that kind of yes man. Now that might be too strong of a way or terming it because Brian can have those frank tough conversations with KF others wouldn't dare. I'm sure they've had those as well. But for the most part Brian starts with a similar philosophy offensively from the git go. Makes it a lot easier to manage the micro when the macro is the same to start with.

That sums it up pretty well I think. KF isn't so inclined to bring in an outsider that would do things significantly different. He just tried that and it didn't work. He's just not especially at this point in his career. Having Brian who is as qualified as any to be that kind of yes man. Now that might be too strong of a way or terming it because Brian can have those frank tough conversations with KF others wouldn't dare. I'm sure they've had those as well. But for the most part Brian starts with a similar philosophy offensively from the git go. Makes it a lot easier to manage the micro when the macro is the same to start with.

So what we needed when GD left was someone with a similar offensive philosophy to KF? Funny, I remember people expressing a different reason for wanting GD gone.

As I said, I don't expect to change anyone's mind. I'll speak up now and again when I'm so moved by media bashing. No real new ideas in this thread about the local media. It's the same old predictable, tired charges.

As for BF, I was on record saying he was the guy who should get the job. I wrote about it about a year ago: LINK

I stand behind what I wrote then. In short, since most people won't read the column, KF's philosophy is the foundation and the one that guides this offense. That isn't going to change. Iowa already brought in an outside OC in Davis who had a NT on his resume but failed miserably here.

I think the odds of BF having more success working within the confines of his father's philosophy are greater than bringing in someone from the outside. Plus, experienced OCs from the outside know the landscape here.

This is where I think you and most of the Iowa sports media fail to look beyond your black-and-gold tinted glasses.

KF's offensive philosophy is stale, hasn't progressed for two decades. He has not kept up with the progress of the rest of the league or the rest of the country for that matter. Still always a drop-back, pro-style of play from the quarterback, a reluctance to throw much beyond 7-8 yards downfield, fairly predictable on down progression. His hide-bound approach to offense makes it less likely we'll ever get quarterbacks, running backs or receivers who'll play on Sundays once they're done at Iowa.

You're measuring the success of an outsider based on GD? Seriously? I'm sorry, but he was about as old and stodgy in his approach to the game as KF. About the only thing they had in common was relative age and a belief that what worked in the past should still work now. There was a reason he was run out of Texas.

How about finding that young up-and-comer with a fresh approach from a smaller program, or even an assistant OC at a larger school, and bringing them in to change our offensive strategy and to help recruit better athletes to skill positions?

This is where I think you and most of the Iowa sports media fail to look beyond your black-and-gold tinted glasses.

KF's offensive philosophy is stale, hasn't progressed for two decades. He has not kept up with the progress of the rest of the league or the rest of the country for that matter. Still always a drop-back, pro-style of play from the quarterback, a reluctance to throw much beyond 7-8 yards downfield, fairly predictable on down progression. His hide-bound approach to offense makes it less likely we'll ever get quarterbacks, running backs or receivers who'll play on Sundays once they're done at Iowa.

You're measuring the success of an outsider based on GD? Seriously? I'm sorry, but he was about as old and stodgy in his approach to the game as KF. About the only thing they had in common was relative age and a belief that what worked in the past should still work now. There was a reason he was run out of Texas.

How about finding that young up-and-comer with a fresh approach from a smaller program, or even an assistant OC at a larger school, and bringing them in to change our offensive strategy and to help recruit better athletes to skill positions?

I think you missed his point.

So what we needed when GD left was someone with a similar offensive philosophy to KF? Funny, I remember people expressing a different reason for wanting GD gone.
What I wrote is what I think is KFs way of looking at it. I do think it's a smoother transition and having KOK helping hold BFs hand helps. To me next year will tell us a whole lot more. Returning QB with a year under his belt. Two studs at TE. Hopefully the running game will be better (that would help everything) As long as the Oline isn't a glaring weakness they shouldn't have excuses.

I know you hate BF (I'm neutral at best on him) but why not wait to see what the next couple years brings before deeming him a colossal failure. He's not going anywhere anyway, so why rush to judge? I was against him getting his "feet wet" at Iowa, but there's nothing I could do about it. I liked the way he used his Tight Ends, but I hated the way he used Wadley.

If he can put up 70 yards on Wisconsin next season he's a massive success. That is sarcasm FYI.

My issue isn't that I watch pressers and post game interviews and think "They're being too soft, I would go in there guns blazing and make Kirk or Fran answer to me!" That's not it. Its that I watch pressers for other college teams and you guys ARE soft by comparison. So its not just me being a clueless angry fan thinking, "give me a press pass and I'll waste these coaches." I'm comparing Iowa sports media to other journalists.

Are you implying that MSU, Michigan, OSU, and Nebraska's sports media are unprofessional? Well Nebraska might be as they are frequently part of propaganda machine. But they ask hard questions too and I don't think they are unprofessional when they do.

Makes sense. I don't like it, but it makes sense.

In other words, even though it "makes sense", you still don't like it. So to bash it means...you have an agenda.

OTOH, it does NOT make sense to me. I would think a coach would want the best coordinator available, not the most "comfortable".

The next variable becomes, as Rob said, the "landscape", i.e., would an OC--or any other assistant--come to a program if their basic football philosophy doesn't mesh with that of the HC?

In other words, even though it "makes sense", you still don't like it. So to bash it means...you have an agenda.

OTOH, it does NOT make sense to me. I would think a coach would want the best coordinator available, not the most "comfortable".

The next variable becomes, as Rob said, the "landscape", i.e., would an OC--or any other assistant--come to a program if their basic football philosophy doesn't mesh with that of the HC?

Great leaders let subordinates lead. I did some home work and didnt like the KF hire. An agenda? Nothing I can do about it.

I hate what I csll Ferentzing when Iowa is about on equal terms such as PSU this year.

When non Ferentzing works when Iowa is in control against good teams its a thing of beauty. That doesnt happen oft. His best years are when he has a qb he doesnt like. I dont like best players not playing because of the system. Agenda implies I have some power. I have no power. To me he's abusive.

Thats a perception not an agenda.

Latest posts