Jon's new article

Can we see where anyone said they were going to get drastically worse? Honest question.

Honest answer, no. I do expect our guard play to be much better next season. Based off Jordan and Moss being juniors and the addition of Joe W (who might be a 3) and Connor.

Another thing worth considering...

the last time Iowa's leading scorer was an underclassman was Matt Gatens during the 09-10 season under Coach Todd Lickliter. An underclassman has never lead a Fran McCaffery team in scoring until this year. In fact, only twice has Fran had a leading scorer who wasn't a Senior (Marble in 2012-13, Gatens in Fran's first year at Iowa).

So the argument can easily be made that this year's team is just extremely young.

Of course, it's 100% Fran's responsibility to maintain the roster. So the glut of underclassmen this year is completely on him.

IGC has to make an argument for the future cuz he doesn't have a good argument for the present.
IGC needs to live in the here and now.

I was picking on the person you were quoting, not you.

Gotcha. Man I would love to be Duke and we should always strive for the top. I don't have the magic pill, wish I did.
To be Duke or any of the blue bloods (which in reality there are only a handful) we have to at least get in the tourney consistently to start with. Once you are in, you can make a run and anything can happen, can't make a run from home.

He's landed an impact transfer before.

No he hasn't. He couldn't recruit Uthoff and he was a sit out transfer. Fran's track record indicates not much of anything will happen this off season to improve next year's team. At least we have CJ coming in though!

Gotcha. Man I would love to be Duke and we should always strive for the top. I don't have the magic pill, wish I did.
To be Duke or any of the blue bloods (which in reality there are only a handful) we have to at least get in the tourney consistently to start with. Once you are in, you can make a run and anything can happen, can't make a run from home.

TRUE STORY:
Back in the 90s I'm reading one of those "Athlon" type of pre-season publications devoted to the Big Ten.
In the article on the Hawkeyes they mentioned how Iowa was 17th all-time in ncaa visits.
Not saying we were a blue blood. But we were at least in a position to shoot for that. It seems with each successive year of Iowa bball/fball we (not you or I obviously) lower our expectations another notch. That's a choice, and it's the wrong one imo.

The Duke thing really bugs me.
"We aren't Duke"
That's true. But shouldn't we WANT TO BE LIKE DUKE? Honest to God, the point of competition is to shoot to win, meaning being the best. Just because we aren't Duke doesn't mean our goals should be progressively lower. Sheesh.
I see what your saying for sure. Rome wasn't built in a day and there's a ton of middle ground between where we are and to where the blue bloods are. Duke tells 5 star kids no sorry not enough room on roster. Iowa has to beg borrow and steal to be able to even get a visit with one just about let alone land one. So it's one thing to have your overall goals being win BIG and NCAA titles. It's another to be realistic and realize to get to that point it'll take a turning point of sorts to make it happen. Landing a stud we normally don't and a couple of other kids that exceed their rankings and a coach that matches their styles. It'd take a perfect storm just to turn the tide that extremely. So as much as I and most of us want to see it happen I'm not betting the farm it will anytime soon. With or without Fran M....

No he hasn't. He couldn't recruit Uthoff and he was a sit out transfer. Fran's track record indicates not much of anything will happen this off season to improve next year's team. At least we have CJ coming in though!

he can't recruit any transfer that's a dumb take.

I see what your saying for sure. Rome wasn't built in a day and there's a ton of middle ground between where we are and to where the blue bloods are. Duke tells 5 star kids no sorry not enough room on roster. Iowa has to beg borrow and steal to be able to even get a visit with one just about let alone land one. So it's one thing to have your overall goals being win BIG and NCAA titles. It's another to be realistic and realize to get to that point it'll take a turning point of sorts to make it happen. Landing a stud we normally don't and a couple of other kids that exceed their rankings and a coach that matches their styles. It'd take a perfect storm just to turn the tide that extremely. So as much as I and most of us want to see it happen I'm not betting the farm it will anytime soon. With or without Fran M....

imo Iowa was on par with Mich State when Izzo was hired as HC. Mich State joined the blue blood crowd and we went in the opposite direction. Proving it can be done. Wanting it is the first step.

he can't recruit any transfer that's a dumb take.
Yes he can. Graduate transfers are open to recruiting and that's what we'd be looking for.

A sit-out is 1) highly unlikely for a good player (especially in basketball), and 2) wouldn't help next year.

Yes he can. Graduate transfers are open to recruiting and that's what we'd be looking for.

A sit-out is 1) highly unlikely for a good player, and 2) wouldn't help next year.

I meant before they declare that - so Geno Randall at North Dakota is a name that's going to come up. You're saying Fran has proven he won't try and help the Iowa team? ( I realize you didn't say it, 56 did) Iowa's never really been in this situation before under Fran since he took over. You realize that right?

I just don't understand the logic (and not pointing this toward PC) of those that seem to think that any coach we bring in needs to be here for the long haul. If we bring in an up and coming coach that wants to use the program as a stepping stool to move on to a better position, who cares. We can enjoy the ride and when its over maybe take a step back, but if were taking multiple steps forward and making progress and continue to do that with each coach along the way so what, were still making progress. As a program we cannot afford to take 2 steps forward and then take 2 steps back to end up exactly where we were when we hired Fran. Fran got things headed in the right direction after Lick, but if the program is in the exact same state when he leaves as it was when he took over, he's nothing more than Lick 2.0.

Here's my thought on that. Before this year, I thought Fran was pretty much Tom Davis once they both got their own recruits. So if you fire a Davis/Fran coach in hopes for a Lute coach, you have to actually get extremely lucky to find that Lute coach. Then if he bolts again, you have to get lucky again to find a Davis/Fran coach and end up where you were before you took that risk in the first place. That means you have two chances to get unlucky with a hire, and one chance to get really lucky with a hire. I just don't know if risk/reward is there. Again, this was all under the assumption that Fran had us back to the Davis years, which is exactly what it looked like for the last 4 or 5 years before this one.

Can we see where anyone said they were going to get drastically worse? Honest question.

Jfc how many examples does one need to admit our backcourt is absolutely beyond friggin' terrible?!? How many times do you need to see Jordan get worked defensively to see he is more of a liability than an asset no matter how great of a shooter he is? How many unforced, piss poor turnovers or 3pt attempts that hit the backboard first does one need to see before they'll admit that Moss should he a bench player with limited mins? We have seen enough of Connor already to know he is nowhere near the answer to our PG problem.

Latest posts