Jon's new article

I just don't understand the logic (and not pointing this toward PC) of those that seem to think that any coach we bring in needs to be here for the long haul. If we bring in an up and coming coach that wants to use the program as a stepping stool to move on to a better position, who cares. We can enjoy the ride and when its over maybe take a step back, but if were taking multiple steps forward and making progress and continue to do that with each coach along the way so what, were still making progress. As a program we cannot afford to take 2 steps forward and then take 2 steps back to end up exactly where we were when we hired Fran. Fran got things headed in the right direction after Lick, but if the program is in the exact same state when he leaves as it was when he took over, he's nothing more than Lick 2.0.

I was reading Bucky O-Connor's wikipedia entry. Something jumped off the page. Iowa FIRED TWO COACHES in the same season before Bucky was made HC. He was the THIRD head coach in a single season.
You're right. The idea of that happening in pursuit of excellence makes some fans apoplectic. My response to that? Some fans married hot chicks, some fans married . . .
v0je1wb.jpg

sorry, but some of us are not built for settling

There were two years in three where the team had a major collapse. Funny that wasn’t mentioned in the article.

I do think Jon is right though in that he will get at least one more year because of how bad the program was before he was hired.

True, a concern of all of us or many of us at least is even in his "good" years we have had to really question his in game coaching a lot. Many games he just got out coached it felt like, plus the late season collapses. Could we have actually been better in some of those years with better coaching? Rotations, lack of getting off a good shot at end game situations, refusal to use timeouts, lack of defensive improvement or adjustments.... just a few of the many things that have a lot of Hawk fans a little concerned. Would be easier to swallow this year I think, if we felt like his staff has proven themselves as top tier in game coaches.

The reason no one sees Iowa in the dance in '19 is that it'll be the same team as this year, presumably under the same coaching and same scheme. There is no logical or tangible reason to think they'll make a tourney next year. These guys aren't going to magically up their skill level 50% over the summer and get 4th or 5th in the B1G, it doesn't work like that. I get that no one can predict it, but on the same hand if you're going to venture a guess you have to go by something, and that something isn't any different than this year.

I also think that the fans saying "But we have to wait for Joe and Pat!!!" (I know, not you) should remember that everyone said the same thing about Garza and others. I don't care if there's film of them blowing up AAU teams for 30 a game. 99% of those kids won't even see a D-II court without buying a ticket.

I get what you are saying, but the team finished 6th last year with good play at SG and tons of youth. They magically lowered their skill level by 50%. So it does work like that. And you also don't know who might leave and who might come in. I keep asking everyone the same question. On Fran's best teams so far at Iowa, what did they have? Stand out upperclassmen that developed into All B1G performers. But it took them until they were seniors to get there. What's missing from this team? I believe that the sophomore class has 2 potential future All B1G performers in Jbo and Cook and I believe that the freshman class has 2 All B1G performers in Garza and Nunge.

That's my opinion. I certainly get your opinion. I just disagree with it.

I’m frustrated. I love Iowa Basketball. I want nothing more than to watch great basketball every year. Fran has brought some excitement back to the program. I’ve definitely been entertained the last 5 years. This year is brutal yes, it’s easy to call out Fran right now. Jon’s article is realistic, even if you disagree. We are never going to be Duke, UNC, Kansas, Kentucky, etc. The problem with it all is Iowa fans are rabid and have huge hearts. We are passionate. We want nothing more than to compete with the big boys every year. It often leads to major disappointment or major frustration, because in all reality, we will never compete with the big boys. Jon is realistic. Fran needs a longer leash. If it continues the next year or two..move on.

Iowa Basketball will never reach any of our expectations. It’s a hard thing to fathom. I struggle with it too. But at the end of the day, Duke is Duke and Iowa is Iowa..and it forever will be. Doesn’t matter who coaches.

I agree we aren't Duke, but we also are "Get Waxed By Freaking Rutgers" either! We are better than that IMO.

I agree we aren't Duke, but we also are "Get Waxed By Freaking Rutgers" either! We are better than that IMO.

The Duke thing really bugs me.
"We aren't Duke"
That's true. But shouldn't we WANT TO BE LIKE DUKE? Honest to God, the point of competition is to shoot to win, meaning being the best. Just because we aren't Duke doesn't mean our goals should be progressively lower. Sheesh.

I get what you are saying, but the team finished 6th last year with good play at SG and tons of youth. They magically lowered their skill level by 50%.
Uhh, and lost the B1G scoring leader who in addition to his own points drew defenders off Bohannon and gave him shots he couldn’t create on his own?

I believe that the sophomore class has 2 potential future All B1G performers in Jbo and Cook and I believe that the freshman class has 2 All B1G performers in Garza and Nunge.
All Big Ten is certainly a nice honor, but it doesn’t mean squat if the Hawks don’t win.

I haven’t seen one person that expects Iowa to be Duke, but there is no reason they can’t be Purdue or even Wichita State. Good coaches win wherever they are. Fran is an average coach at best. His best years were average. You and Jon are happy with average.

I try to teach my kids every day that failing something is not as bad as not trying. I want them to push themselves to be better and understand that it isn’t always easy. Some Iowa fans like you and Jon would just rather eat the same breakfast every day, drive your dodge stratus, and root for an Iowa team that is content with average or below because it’s easy.

As much as I would like to be, I don't expect to be Duke. I simply expect Iowa to be the IOWA from the 1980's and 1990's. When I say "expect", I mean that I believe it's a reasonable and realistic goal. We had good teams, with some teams capable of making a Sweet 16 or better here and there, and making the NCAA tournament most years.

Is that too much to ask?

Iowa's program was at that point for the better part of two decades, starting with Lute, through Tom Davis. We shouldn't allow ourselves to be shouted down by those who think it's unrealistic for Iowa to get back to that level.

I think Iowa basketball has just been so mediocre for so long that some folks have been conditioned to think that it's the best we can do. I disagree. This program is realistically capable of better.

"We aren't Duke"
That's true. But shouldn't we WANT TO BE LIKE DUKE? Honest to God, the point of competition is to shoot to win, meaning being the best. Just because we aren't Duke doesn't mean our goals should be progressively lower. Sheesh.
Agree.Us FANS need wins no? It is Fun. A game yes but winning a game more fun.Still Power and GOLD run program.

As much as I would like to be, I don't expect to be Duke. I simply expect Iowa to be the IOWA from the 1980's and 1990's. When I say "expect", I mean that I believe it's a reasonable and realistic goal. We had good teams, with some teams capable of making a Sweet 16 or better here and there.

Is that too much to ask?

Iowa's program was at that point for the better part of two decades, starting with Lute, through Tom Davis. We shouldn't allow ourselves to be shouted down by those who think it's unrealistic for Iowa to get back to that level.

And when Iowa was at that level Iowa wanted better. Too many of our fans are like a young guy who asks out a pretty girl. She says "no", so their logic circuits tell them the solution to the pain of rejection is to never again ask out a pretty girl.

Uhh, and lost the B1G scoring leader who in addition to his own points drew defenders off Bohannon and gave him shots he couldn’t create on his own?

All Big Ten is certainly a nice honor, but it doesn’t mean squat if the Hawks don’t win.

Right, but scoring isn't the teams issue. It wasn't last year either. Iowa doesn't need the B1G's leading scorer. And all that matters is winning, I didn't say it didn't. I said this team has no upper class players like Fran's last 4 teams which were historically on par with where the Iowa program has been since most of us can remember. All 4 of those teams had guys that basically took 3 years to develop into the players they were. I see both the freshman and sophomore classes with guys with that potential. You basically don't read anything anyone types Fry, so whats the point?

I think Fran gets next season. That's it. I don't know how anyone can say "i don't see us in the NCAA next year" realistically.
Almost every poster around here is saying that we don’t have a realistic shot at the tournament next year man. What are you seeing that gives you hope?

We just got dismantled by Rutgers who is one of the worst P5 teams in the country. Our team next year is basically gong to be the same.

Is Fran going to suddenly learn how to manage rotations and subbing?

Is Fran going to start using timeouts to stop runs?

Is Fran going to stop playing bigs at the 3?

Are our guards going to drastically improve?

Is our defense going to drastically improve?

Are we going to stop turning the ball over?

Are our players going to play hard? Will Fran pull guys who aren’t playing hard?

I mostly consider myself a kool-aid drinker when it comes to Iowa basketball. I see nothing that would lead me to believe this group has a chance at the NCAA tournament next year.

"We aren't Duke"

Did I say I didn't want to be like Duke? I just said we aren't, which is a FACT if you look at our history.

Almost every poster around here is saying that we don’t have a realistic shot at the tournament next year man. What are you seeing that gives you hope?

We just got dismantled by Rutgers who is one of the worst P5 teams in the country. Our team next year is basically gong to be the same.

Is Fran going to suddenly learn how to manage rotations and subbing?

Is Fran going to start using timeouts to stop runs?

Is Fran going to stop playing bigs at the 3?

Are our guards going to drastically improve?

Is our defense going to drastically improve?

Are we going to stop turning the ball over?

Are our players going to play hard? Will Fran pull guys who aren’t playing hard?

I mostly consider myself a kool-aid drinker when it comes to Iowa basketball. I see nothing that would lead me to believe this group has a chance at the NCAA tournament next year.

I'm not saying your wrong, I am saying you aint got a f'in clue and either do I. 3.5 months ago you wouldn't find a person who thought Iowa wasn't going to make the tournament on this board. A lot can happen in an off season. To answer your questions. And these are just my counter opinion. I am not saying it's right or wrong. Just my opinion. You can be a fan however you want to fan.

Is Fran going to suddenly learn how to manage rotations and subbing? Maybe? But he'll probably always play more then Iowa fans want him to. He suddenly forgot how to manage his rotations right?

Is Fran going to start using timeouts to stop runs? I think over the 2nd half of the season this year, he's used his time outs better. It hasn't really produced any results, but he's called timeouts earlier in runs. It hasn't helped.

Is Fran going to stop playing bigs at the 3? Nunge could develop into a 3, he's not there now, but he could. So, no, I doubt that. But I also think Joe W is gonna be a 3, so I think that spot will be better next season.

Are our guards going to drastically improve? Yes? Connor, Jordan and Moss another year older and mature. I don't see how you think they drastically will get worse next year.

Is our defense going to drastically improve? Biggest question mark I have. If it doesn't - all bets are off. It DID NOT improve from last year. It got worse. It's a big job for the entire program.

Are we going to stop turning the ball over? Turnovers are a trait of a young team. Iowa is a young team. I'm not saying that maturity cures everything, it doesn't. But gun to the head, do we have a lot less turnovers next season yes or no? I would say yes.

I'm not saying your wrong, I am saying you aint got a f'in clue and either do I. 3.5 months ago you wouldn't find a person who thought Iowa wasn't going to make the tournament on this board. A lot can happen in an off season. To answer your questions. And these are just my counter opinion. I am not saying it's right or wrong. Just my opinion. You can be a fan however you want to fan.

Is Fran going to suddenly learn how to manage rotations and subbing? Maybe? But he'll probably always play more then Iowa fans want him to. He suddenly forgot how to manage his rotations right?

Is Fran going to start using timeouts to stop runs? I think over the 2nd half of the season this year, he's used his time outs better. It hasn't really produced any results, but he's called timeouts earlier in runs. It hasn't helped.

Is Fran going to stop playing bigs at the 3? Nunge could develop into a 3, he's not there now, but he could. So, no, I doubt that. But I also think Joe W is gonna be a 3, so I think that spot will be better next season.

Are our guards going to drastically improve? Yes? Connor, Jordan and Moss another year older and mature. I don't see how you think they drastically will get worse next year.

Is our defense going to drastically improve? Biggest question mark I have. If it doesn't - all bets are off. It DID NOT improve from last year. It got worse. It's a big job for the entire program.

Are we going to stop turning the ball over? Turnovers are a trait of a young team. Iowa is a young team. I'm not saying that maturity cures everything, it doesn't. But gun to the head, do we have a lot less turnovers next season yes or no? I would say yes.

Do you really think a lot will happen this off season? It's very unlikely that Fran is going to fire an assistant coach or land an impact transfer.

True, a concern of all of us or many of us at least is even in his "good" years we have had to really question his in game coaching a lot. Many games he just got out coached it felt like, plus the late season collapses. Could we have actually been better in some of those years with better coaching? Rotations, lack of getting off a good shot at end game situations, refusal to use timeouts, lack of defensive improvement or adjustments.... just a few of the many things that have a lot of Hawk fans a little concerned. Would be easier to swallow this year I think, if we felt like his staff has proven themselves as top tier in game coaches.

Excellent point!

But his clue is at least a conclusion based on observation instead of your gut feeling.

It's not a gut feeling, I watched Fran's program before this year. He's good at developing his best players and putting other pieces around them to succeed. This class does not have upper class men. That's not a gut feeling