Satisfying Season

considering there are only 2 schools in the conference that currently have more wins the last 3 seasons then Iowa, I don't understand all the dissatisfaction. I would like to be #1 too tho, just can't be as miserable as everyone is making this program out to be.

considering there are only 2 schools in the conference that currently have more wins the last 3 seasons then Iowa, I don't understand all the dissatisfaction. I would like to be #1 too tho, just can't be as miserable as everyone is making this program out to be.
66 yards.

With 8 wins against a top 10 schedule, including a bowl win, a road win against a good ISU team, and putting up two 50 burgers in routs over OSU and Nebraska...plus 2 unanimous all-American honors....the season, for me, was satisfying.

Next year, with the schedule, the nucleus of returning players and good recruiting class, on top of BF having a year of play calling under his belt...I’m looking forward to even better things.

I would feel satisfied if we'd beaten the teams we should have and lost to the teams we should have. That means trading the OSU win for wins against jNW, MSU and PU. So, our 7-5 regular season should have been 9-3 and a bowl will gets us to 10. See folks, this is where kirk keeps getting a pass. this was a disappointing season for the above reasoning.

I would feel satisfied if we'd beaten the teams we should have and lost to the teams we should have. That means trading the OSU win for wins against jNW, MSU and PU. So, our 7-5 regular season should have been 9-3 and a bowl will gets us to 10. See folks, this is where kirk keeps getting a pass. this was a disappointing season for the above reasoning.

you know Northwestern and MSU were on the road and are both currently ranked in the top 25 right? And that Purdue just won 7 games and had their best season in a decade. Ferentz doesn't get a pass for those loses, but it's not like this team lost to North Dakota State this season.

who cares? the W on the board is ABSOLUTELY the only stat that matters.
More than u think. Take away 2 the turnovers, one to weather and its a minus 10 fame. Iowa is plain out boring. Even with more exciting players than BC its boring.

With 8 wins against a top 10 schedule, including a bowl win, a road win against a good ISU team, and putting up two 50 burgers in routs over OSU and Nebraska...plus 2 unanimous all-American honors....the season, for me, was satisfying.

Next year, with the schedule, the nucleus of returning players and good recruiting class, on top of BF having a year of play calling under his belt...I’m looking forward to even better things.

Great points and perspective. Not sure we had a top 10 schedule though, did we?

Erratic and middling fit better, IMO. Ups (OSU) were way high, downs (Wisc, Purdue) were way low, and some unusual characteristics (beating a decent ISU team at their place, top 10 SOS, stomping a crappy Nebby team, and going blow for blow with PSU). You can definitely look back and wonder "what-if" with a few games, but ultimately the final result was what this team was predicted to be. Lots of youth and inexperience on O (including the staff), and a good D. Memories made, and on to the next season.

It was an odd season, to say the least.

KF builds his teams to be and play consistent, which is why they play with top teams and let bottom teams play with them. The inconsistency was weird this year with the two outliers, Ohio St and Wisky game.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I agree with that. That was Iowa's plan, let Saquon get his yards, but keep everything in front of us and slam the door on them in the red zone, and it damn near worked. Have Amani Hooker jump 1 inch higher, make the 2-pt conversion, or don't have a kick blocked in the 2nd half, and Iowa wins the game. It really is a game of inches.

The yardage argument doesn't really work either, because yards don't equal points. Teams who go up big early can often give up more yards because the other team is in desperation mode trying to play catch up, but it doesn't reflect on the scoreboard. Hell, it's a staple of the KF era to get beat in every metric but the final score.

Ironically, Saquon Barkley was the bomb after that game and all one would see on the sports shows was Barkley. After the Iowa game, he seemed to fall off the map into the abyss, never to be heard from again. Kind of weird in itself.

I think all the kids played their hearts out and gave their all this season. Those three games we lost to MS, Peedue and NW I blame on stubborn coaching and lack of game planning.

Why do you choose to constantly bitch all the time? I don't understand people like that. Makes for looooong life.

And jumping up and down about a product designed for 50/50 is experiencing life? Sounds kinda boring.

You guys sort of sound like the America luv it or leave it crowd. Hawk Nation...luv KF or leave it. Hawks got almost doubled in yards. Not going to have many games in your favor thay way. Just think Ferentism just got more entrenched.

I can play your game as well.

6Ohio StateBuckeyes
7-2, 5-1 Conf

Final

2 3 4 T
OSU 10 7 0 7 24
IOWA 10 21 7 17 55
i

you know Northwestern and MSU were on the road and are both currently ranked in the top 25 right? And that Purdue just won 7 games and had their best season in a decade. Ferentz doesn't get a pass for those loses, but it's not like this team lost to North Dakota State this season.

and we lost to both by 1 score while showcasing an offensive scheme that most high school teams could have defended. we scored 10 points in each game. so, turn that around and WE would be finishing in the top 25, perhaps. That's my point. We rationalize instead of demand better.

Satisfying is not the word I'd describe the season.

Inconsistent is more like it for me.

However, a bowl win, even though it was against a team that pretty much sucks, was very much needed for the program.

Ackrum Wadley had a great all-around day. He'll be missed.

The Defense in the second half was awesome. First half was another story. See inconsistent above.

The rest of the offense was MIA for much of the game.

The FG and after point guy was very good in those conditions.

The punter?

Playing a bowl game on a professional baseball field. Bad idea!

Upcoming 2018 season for Iowa. Who the hell knows?

I would not trade the OSU win with the Purdue loss. The OSU game was one that will be remembered forever while a Purdue win would be forgotten the next year.