Fran's survival on the line in Tournament

I dont think there is any question we are a second division team next year. I think if we could have finished strong Fran gets a pass and at least another year. If we continue to tank this year (and that seems very likely) his tenure at Iowa looks to be coming to an end. You think Carver was bad this year!

The twenty-three conference wins the last two years are the most in consecutive years since Davis' first two seasons. Gives you an idea how much Iowa has sucked for almost thirty years.

In years three through six, Fran has forty-one conference wins. In contrast, the great Tom Davis had thirty-three conference wins in years three through six. When Davis took over the basketball program, an individual had to donate money to get split season tickets. Near the end, Davis couldn't even sell out the joint.

these kinds of threads are crazy. iowa fan is one spoiled cat, or something. or i've forgotten the long and rich history that is iowa basketball. i know this is an old story, and Fran is not Tom Davis - but how quickly some forget.....
Thumbs up here.

Fran's sixth season and he's already #5 on Coach Wins.
If that doesn't tell anyone about Iowa's "long and rich" basketball history, then nothing will.

They would be surprised if you tell them the earth ain't flat.

Mr. Davis got to Sweet 16 and lost to eventual champion by 10 points, and then got fired. Have our expectations been lowered since then? I don't see anything in future above .500 record. This was great example of coaching on his part. Playing not lose in last 3 minutes.

After his first two seasons, Davis was ninety-nine & ninety-five in the conference. You can't get more average than that. There were no expectations with Davis.

We could finish last in the B1G next year and Fran would have a couple of years left to turn it around. Silly topic.

We could finish last in the B1G next year and Fran would have a couple of years left to turn it around. Silly topic.

And if you think a team finishing last in the Big 10 next year playing the second half of the conference season in front of family and friends only would get two more years, then the University really doesn't care about basketball.

We better have a pretty ******* good plan in place if we're gunna get rid of a coach that took us to 3 strait tournaments and plays fun to watch ball. Not to mention you would be saying bye to 2 stud recruits.

I'd like to agree with you but this team has not been "fun to watch" since before they played Indiana.

And if you think a team finishing last in the Big 10 next year playing the second half of the conference season in front of family and friends only would get two more years, then the University really doesn't care about basketball.

Tom Davis went 14-4, 12-6, 10-8 & 4-14 in the conference his first four seasons. Yet Mr. Davis stayed around for another nine years. I still can't figure out why he wasn't fired after season four. Heck, in season four, a Raveling recruit was the best player on the team. When Armstrong, Horton & Marble left after Davis' third season, the great Mr. Davis was two games over five-hundred in conference play. Throw in the two BTT blow out losses & Davis was an even five-hundred against conference opponents in his ten seasons. That is the definition of average.

I don't care what all the Wile E. Coyote geniuses say: Fran is the best thing that has happened to Iowa basketball since Lute. That is very sad.

I'm not really sure what your angle is here, but if we hypothetically finished last in the conference next year, I believe Fran would still get at least two more years to turn it around, based on the fact that he took Iowa to 3 consecutive NCAA berths.

Mr. Davis got to Sweet 16 and lost to eventual champion by 10 points, and then got fired. Have our expectations been lowered since then? I don't see anything in future above .500 record. This was great example of coaching on his part. Playing not lose in last 3 minutes.

WRONG! TD got fired and was allowed to coach one more season that was on his contract and THEN he did what you described.

lol, Fran has a lifetime contract pretty much.

I would just like to see a Fran who learns from his coaching mistakes.

I thought we have the Fran this year.

Apparently, I was wrong.

Improve your timeout crap. Improve how you coach your team THROUGH OUT the season. Things like that he needs to figure out and improve on.

WRONG! TD got fired and was allowed to coach one more season that was on his contract and THEN he did what you described.

Revisionist history is great. So many posters think Davis did at Iowa what Bobby Knight did at Indiana & Keady did at Purdue. Without Raveling recruits Davis was a five-hundred coach. How he did not get fired after his fourth season still amazes me. No coach would survive today going 14-4, 12-6, 10-8 & 4-14 in consecutive seasons.

I'd like to agree with you but this team has not been "fun to watch" since before they played Indiana.

I would think this was common sense but I guess I have to explain it. When I say Fran teams are fun to watch, I'm refering to style of play. Would you rather go .500 with Fran's style of play or go .500 with Lick's style of play? If your answer is Fran, then you agree with me. If your answer is style of play doesn't matter to you, that's fine but you're in the minority. Most people like fast paced basketball.

you are basically right, if i recall. his contract was up at the end of the '99 season and Bowlsby, instead of out and out firing davis, just let his contract go 'unrenewed'.

to the person who said he coached to the sweet 16 and then got fired is incorrect - he knew well in advance of the season or who knows how long prior, that his contract was set to expire and that he wasn't going to get a new one - coaches don't like to have less than 4 years for recruiting purposes let alone one or two. to me, it was a dick move by bowlsby - almost cowardice - he spun it that TD was 'retiring' and tried to put himself in a good light - TD was all - I'm not retiring.......

as far as standards - getting to a sweet 16 and showing that that wasn't good enough so they fired the coach. that was big time egg in the face to bowlsby - and still is today given where the program is/has been, since that move. karma. in this case, i may believe in it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont think there is any question we are a second division team next year. I think if we could have finished strong Fran gets a pass and at least another year. If we continue to tank this year (and that seems very likely) his tenure at Iowa looks to be coming to an end. You think Carver was bad this year!

I think you are dreaming. What , do we want Alford back? While i would like us to actually use our timeouts to set up a real play at the end of a half/game, overall things are MUCH better than a few years ago. We have some athletes coming in, now we just need athletes who can shoot to come here!