Zook out at Illinois

Iowa fans had better hope that Illinois hires another failure as a coach. If they get it right, Illinois can be a powerhouse putting another nail into Iowa's coffin as a player in the B1G. While other teams try to improve, Iowa remains the same...change, too risky....much too risky...

If Illinois hires a good coach then Iowa is in trouble neglecting to make change. You know the new coach is going to come in right away and recruit the state kids (Iowa recruit Flemming too) that Iowa is after as well. Iowa needs to take advantage of these situations when other schools are down. Kirk has failed with Minnesota - getting beat by them on the field and losing a 4* recruit to them off the field.

Illinois could hire Mike Ditka as coach and they are never going to be good.

Fact. Not one kid in the talent rich Chicago area grows up wanting to play for the Illini. They grow up Bears fans. The talent in the rest of the state isn't anything to write home about, and Chicago is a pro sports town.

Missouri will never be good for the same reason.

Wow that's a shocker, didn't the fan base know he had them bowl eligible for two straight years? How can you fire a coach after back to back successful seasons?

Wow that's a shocker, didn't the fan base know he had them bowl eligible for two straight years? How can you fire a coach after back to back successful seasons?

Agreed - 6 wins has to be viewed as a successful season, especially if you win that coveted bowl game for one of the 6-6 teams in the conference. And Zook is only a few years removed from that Rose Bowl berth.

This is not good news but I had a feeling this was going to happen when Illinois lost at Minnesota. Zook was a victim of his own success winning the first 6 games and then losing 6 in a row, you break that up a little bit and he might have been fine. But once Illinois won the first 6 and got ranked the expectations went up a ton. Illinois hiring a good coach does scare me a tad as they sit in a hot bed of talent. You can recruit against Leach, especially after what happened at Texas Tech, but he is a much better game day coach and I think he can get Illinois winning right away.

Latest posts