Zone Blocking Scheme

It's like bell bottom jeans. It you wait long enough, eventually they will come back into style! You just need patience Jon! I think KF should bring back & run the Wishbone.

its kinda hit or miss with the zone blocking. Some years its unstoppable and some years like 2014 I just wanna say screw it and run a spread offense where we throw it 60 times

I don't know anything about offensive line technique or schemes. Absolutely nothing.

But I do have eyeballs.

Does anyone know why Iowa always seems to have a smaller line than everyone else? Wisconsin's guys are all over 300 pounds. Meanwhile in Iowa City, Weisman was just stopped again for no gain.

Also consider the QB skill sets the of college teams that are using the zone scheme...OSU, Arizona, Oregon, Auburn are certainly dual threat.

Last edited:
It all depends on your RB. If you have the right back (a 1-cut back) the zone scheme is perfect. Weisman was not that type of back and JC lacked vision and health to do it on a consistent basis.

It certainly has its advantages. It is easier to repeat (sort of a plug-and-play system). The same principles apply no matter what the defensive front is. It's a scheme that doesn't require the best of the best talent to run it consistently. It requires smarter, quicker linemen and patient running backs with a BURST through the hole. We may only have one RB on the roster right now that fits that burst requirement, and he didn't get much playing time.

Did anyone watch the Iowa class 4A state title game this year? Our incoming QB recruit has the ideal skillset and experience to run the zone read out of this system.

Zone blocking can still work..but not when you are rocking the I-Formation with a fullback carrying the ball

Did anyone watch the Iowa class 4A state title game this year? Our incoming QB recruit has the ideal skillset and experience to run the zone read out of this system.

Yeah, it will be interesting what they do with him. He looks like he could be a good college QB. But he doesn't look like a good Iowa Qb. Looks like a kid that wants to go off ******, buy time with his feet, design QB run type of QB. His size and arm-strength probably prevent him from being a good 5-step drop pocket thrower.

It all depends on your RB. If you have the right back (a 1-cut back) the zone scheme is perfect. Weisman was not that type of back and JC lacked vision and health to do it on a consistent basis.

Yep. Freddy Russell was a small back & was shifty & hit the holes. He was hard for defenders to locate. Green had a great counter run that was real effective. He'd get thru the gaping hole than just run over a corner back.

It certainly has its advantages. It is easier to repeat (sort of a plug-and-play system). The same principles apply no matter what the defensive front is. It's a scheme that doesn't require the best of the best talent to run it consistently. It requires smarter, quicker linemen and patient running backs with a BURST through the hole. We may only have one RB on the roster right now that fits that burst requirement, and he didn't get much playing time.

^^^^^^^^In theory this is how it is suppose to work those Bronco teams of the late 90's and early 2000's are a great example of this. Lately, it has been Coker/Wiesman plodding along on the stretch and teams just crashing the backside, pursuing with complete disregard because there is no fear of a cutback.

Yeah, it will be interesting what they do with him. He looks like he could be a good college QB. But he doesn't look like a good Iowa Qb. Looks like a kid that wants to go off ******, buy time with his feet, design QB run type of QB. His size and arm-strength probably prevent him from being a good 5-step drop pocket thrower.

You are right. That means it is up to the coaches to put him in a position to succeed. Don't ask him to be a 5-step drop back passer. Run a spread, zone blocking system. Mix in the zone-read. Passing predicated on play-action passes. Get him rolling out of the pocket off of play-action in a run-pass option. Just play to his strengths, and develop his deficiencies.

Hey, it worked in 2002-2004 and in 2008 with the Doak Walker winner. It's just about execution, and has nothing to do with the defense knowing what's coming and loading up to stop it. I mean, why can't Scherff block 6 guys per play?

If KF is still the coach. Kansas St last 2 QB(s) have had similar skill sets, Mark Stoops Kentucky QB is very similar as well.

I know that Nebraska sucks but just watch Abdullah run in their zone blocking scheme. He gets to the point of attack and actually ATTACKS the hole like he was shot out of a cannon. He has some special skills but that is how it is supposed to be run. You need a RB with suddenness to get through those holes. More 10-yard dash speed than 40-yard dash speed.

I know that Nebraska sucks but just watch Abdullah run in their zone blocking scheme. He gets to the point of attack and actually ATTACKS the hole like he was shot out of a cannon. He has some special skills but that is how it is supposed to be run. You need a RB with suddenness to get through those holes. More 10-yard dash speed than 40-yard dash speed.

Fred Russell is a perfect example.

Latest posts