Zach McCabe is the real deal

papathawki

Just watched the 3A game and McCabe showed why we want him to be a Hawkeye. I think he's better than Cougil. Captain of the all tournament team for Sioux City Heelan.

He's good and will be a good addition, I like the idea of him possibly helping the Hawks recruit the Malloy bros. as well :)

He's good and will be a good addition, I like the idea of him possibly helping the Hawks recruit the Malloy bros. as well :)

Wesley Statin, transferring to Heelen from Sioux City West next year even more so. Would really like to get him away from the Clones.

I watched the game as well....was not as impressed. He scored 2 points in the second half....I just did not feel he had the ability to take over if he wanted to. Does not have a big ten body yet. JMO, but he seems to be quite a bit behind where Eric May was a year ago.

I watched the game as well....was not as impressed. He scored 2 points in the second half....I just did not feel he had the ability to take over if he wanted to. Does not have a big ten body yet. JMO, but he seems to be quite a bit behind where Eric May was a year ago.
He may not have taken over the entire game, but with the score tied and a minute to go, he was the one who drove to the hoop and scored. He also has good teammates. We will see how he translates (hopefully) as a Hawkeye.

I watched it as well. Other than a drawn-up play for McCabe, he was nowhere to be found offensively when there was an opportunity for SCBH to increase a lead or stop the run by Pella. He didn't demand the ball and I think that says something at the high school level when you are considered to be the best player in your class.

Not real impressed either. He has the style of May and Gatens but not as good as either. He would have been better served going to a UNI or Drake. The numbers he put up at the state tournament were not great for a big time college conference recruit. Can be servicable for us but don't think he will be a great Hawkeye.

Actually quite a bit slower than May. Reminds me a bit of Settles in the way he finishes around the basket, but just a bit.

Bohannon looked terrible in his last high school performance, he turned out to be pretty solid at Wisky.

Raef Lafrentz never won a state championship at MFL Marmac, never made it to the champ. game lost in the semis and fouled out early in the 4th quarter. things turned out pretty well for him.

Jess Settles/ Clay Edwards, both teamates at Winfield Mt Union, both D1 players at Iowa and ISU, never won state championships, never made it to the big game, not bad college players.

McCabe 2 time state champion and capt of the all tournament team. Way too early to judge how it will turn out.

Not real impressed either. He has the style of May and Gatens but not as good as either. He would have been better served going to a UNI or Drake. The numbers he put up at the state tournament were not great for a big time college conference recruit. Can be servicable for us but don't think he will be a great Hawkeye.

I guess it depends, he thank god is not a ball hog at all. He is a great passer, he can handle the ball very well for a 6-7 guy. He didn't shot great from 3 but he can hit that shot with good consistency. I guess if you don't think he should be at Iowa you must feel same about May as McCabe does things better than May at this stage in their careers also.

IMO he is not as athletic as May but better with the ball and passing.
He doesn't shoot the ball as well as Gatens but he is able to dribble drive and maimtain control better as well.
Overall a savy kid that gets the best out of his abilities. He will help but he's not going to be a show stopper. But to be fair we usauually don't need or want those kind of players.

Bohannon looked terrible in his last high school performance, he turned out to be pretty solid at Wisky.

Raef Lafrentz never won a state championship at MFL Marmac, never made it to the champ. game lost in the semis and fouled out early in the 4th quarter. things turned out pretty well for him.

Jess Settles/ Clay Edwards, both teamates at Winfield Mt Union, both D1 players at Iowa and ISU, never won state championships, never made it to the big game, not bad college players.

McCabe 2 time state champion and capt of the all tournament team. Way too early to judge how it will turn out.

And we could name of number of kids that WON state championships and had descent games such as McCabe but never did anything in college...

I am not judging, and I hope he turns out to be an all big ten performer...was just giving my opinion after watching the young man play 1 game.

I guess it depends, he thank god is not a ball hog at all. He is a great passer, he can handle the ball very well for a 6-7 guy. He didn't shot great from 3 but he can hit that shot with good consistency. I guess if you don't think he should be at Iowa you must feel same about May as McCabe does things better than May at this stage in their careers also.
You must not have seen May's 40 footer to win state! :) Sorry, Wahlert grad here.

he's not going to be a show stopper. But to be fair we usauually don't need or want those kind of players.

I agree that he won't be a show stopper, what I think we will get is someone who can come in as a freshman and fill minutes and eventually grow into a solid player. Right now Iowa needs a deeper rotation and I think he, along with the rest of this incoming class, will fill that void and fill it well.

I agree that he won't be a show stopper, what I think we will get is someone who can come in as a freshman and fill minutes and eventually grow into a solid player. Right now Iowa needs a deeper rotation and I think he, along with the rest of this incoming class, will fill that void and fill it well.

Why do we need a deeper rotation? Ohio State could be a 1 seed next week playing 6 guys. We need better players!!

And those two points just happened to be the bucket that won the game.

Latest posts