Zach McCabe is the real deal

I guess it depends, he thank god is not a ball hog at all. He is a great passer, he can handle the ball very well for a 6-7 guy. He didn't shot great from 3 but he can hit that shot with good consistency. I guess if you don't think he should be at Iowa you must feel same about May as McCabe does things better than May at this stage in their careers also.

I don't believe McCabe is 6'7". He's listed around 6'4" on recruiting sites, and that's what he looked like to me. Standing next to a kid from Pella who was listed at 6'4", McCabe was just about the same height. And I think it's much more likely for a coach to list a kid as taller than he really is, rather than listing him as shorter.

If he is one of the 4 recruits from supposedly a better recruiting class I'm really worried.

I had seen some pretty good write ups about him so I am very disappointed now that I have seen him play in person. Goes to show that some of this recruiting stuff is just non-sense.

I guess if you don't think he should be at Iowa you must feel same about May as McCabe does things better than May at this stage in their careers also.

May is twice the player that McCabe is. Call me next year when McCabe blocks David Lighty's dunk attempt.... Your comparison of McCabe to May is silly

I've watched a lot of players in the 35 years I've attended the state tournament. Zach is a nice player. From what I've seen, if you have trouble creating your own shot in the 3A state championship game, you probably won't have a great deal of success at the Big 10 level.

IMO....he will have a very difficult time guarding and he's not explosive enough to be an effective rebounder.

That's been the biggest problem with the Lick era....he's recruited a squad full of "nice" players and unfortunately that's not enough to win in the Big 10.

I'd also agree that lil Mac is very good and at this point is better than McCabe. He will do very well in the MVC and UNI is fortunate to have him.

I have read many times that coaches care less how recruits look in high school games. They want to see them in the summer when they play against better players. I have watched a number of players who I did not think looked good in high school games, but went on tho star in college.

Mccabe is a typical Lick recruit. Not very good at all. Definetely not a Division 1 talent. Would take Mcdermott anyday over him.

Not real impressed either. He has the style of May and Gatens but not as good as either. He would have been better served going to a UNI or Drake. The numbers he put up at the state tournament were not great for a big time college conference recruit. Can be servicable for us but don't think he will be a great Hawkeye.

Agree Although he looked good at times out there, the next step for him will be a huge leap, I see a potential red shirt next year.

So based on one game that they saw, people in this thread think McCabe:

• Is actually three inches shorter than his listed height.
  • Is slow and skinny
  • Can't dribble or shoot.
  • Is not a Division I recruit.
  • Is unathletic (i.e. he didn't dunk during the game, ergo he must be unathletic)
  • He won't be a great Hawkeye

Sounds a little harsh to me from what I saw, but we shall see.

I think McCabe would show a little better if he had a Harrison Barnes running with him. Pella adjusted its entire defense to stop him in the 2nd half and the coaches did not adjust. Don't put that on McCabe. He looked ok to me. Certainly as good as Brunner in HS. He won't be an impact player and wasn't expected to be.

That's true, and spinning in the lane in a half court situation is probably something he should just take out of his game.

He also threw some poor passes, more so in the semi than tonight--but I think overall he is a very good passer and he can handle the ball on the break, which makes him even more valuable.
Of course that last skill wouldn't have been too valuable on this year's Iowa squad. Hope it will prove to be a needed skill next year.

Agree with the poster that questioned his height.

I was right next to him at Scheels on Friday night and I am 6'3" 3/4 and he was basically my height to just a little taller, but nowhere near 6' 7"

Latest posts