Youtube Video of Final Play vs MSU

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
This is pretty sweet

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K47MmbKLfrs"]YouTube - 2009 Iowa Hawkeyes Epic Play vs Michigan State highlights[/nomedia]

Look at how the interior of the OL opens up that throwing lane for Rick on the second replay of this thing. Perfect

that first angle in slo mo is a little creepy...that MSU guy just didn't want to let go of McNutt...Stross should have lit him up from behind to get back for the sandeman hit

that first angle in slo mo is a little creepy...that MSU guy just didn't want to let go of McNutt...Stross should have lit him up from behind to get back for the sandeman hit

I can't believe how that CB didn't Rob him of the inside...You have to stop any chance of the slant there...within a few yards, they are not going to call you for contact. Sure, you can get a fade thrown on you to the corner, but you have the boundary there as an extra defender.

And watch the defense shift when they have to follow Moeaki in motion away from the play

I agree Jon the CB can't give him the inside on that but how many CB's have been beaten by that play? It's almost unstoppable and a perfect play inside of the 10. MSU had to know that was coming right?

I can't believe how that CB didn't Rob him of the inside...You have to stop any chance of the slant there...within a few yards, they are not going to call you for contact. Sure, you can get a fade thrown on you to the corner, but you have the boundary there as an extra defender.

That's what made the play. The defender had inside leverage, was up tight as though he was going to jam McNutt...for whatever reason, he didn't jam him, he gave up his inside leverage WAY too easily. and despite the inside leverage, he flipped his hips to the outside way too quickly. In another post I mentioned that it was like stealing because it truly is that easy if you let a big receiver run a slant without impeding his progress at all.

That was good Jon......but this video is even better -

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlY0Ygjkoto"]YouTube - Iowa vs Michigan St Highlights[/ame]

Why do you blitz in that situation? That's just dumb.

Rush 3, blanket the endzone.

You win.

Bad defensive call, esp AFTER a timeout.

Why would the CB not be automatically fouling in that situation? He should have been told to do whatever it takes to not let the catch happen...poor coaching...instead of being so easy MSU could have lived to fight another down.

Thanks, Jon! Love seeing the defeat on the MSU faces. I know it's wrong, but there it is: giant character flaw. If I felt they played, cheered and lost with class I might feel differently...but probably not.
(Best part of the video was the caption he put on the lady next to the dude with the "Beat Iowa" shirt and foam sparty hat)
Go Hawks!
-Greg

Why would the CB not be automatically fouling in that situation? He should have been told to do whatever it takes to not let the catch happen...poor coaching...instead of being so easy MSU could have lived to fight another down.

He got beat too quickly...he didn't even have a chance to grab McNutt. Take a look at Stross in the right slot too...he could have just as easily been the hero. He ran the same route, didn't get bumped or even pressed, and he had an even bigger cushion.

He got beat too quickly...he didn't even have a chance to grab McNutt. Take a look at Stross in the right slot too...he could have just as easily been the hero. He ran the same route, didn't get bumped or even pressed, and he had an even bigger cushion.

Stross was not open as early as McNutt and had the umpire and linemen between him and RS throwing lane. RS made right choice. Also thanks that Stross did not try to hit the DB in the end zone and risk any type of penalty, we had already won the game.

Stross was not open as early as McNutt and had the umpire and linemen between him and RS throwing lane. RS made right choice. Also thanks that Stross did not try to hit the DB in the end zone and risk any type of penalty, we had already won the game.

Yeah, we would have had to try our two point conversion from further back! LOL!

Actually, I wasn't insinuating that Stanzi go to Stross with the GW pass, only inferring that Stross was just as open. I don't know how you blitz 7 on that play and go completely cover 0 on the goal line. We don't have enough room to run a play that we have to take a huge pass drop on, so it would almost have to be a pass protection breakdown to be effective. To make matters worse, McNutt's guy allowed him to cross his face without even so much as touching him, making the pass an easy pitch and catch.

If they would have zone blitzed with DT's, that play would have been tough to complete. But that is hindsight.

In hindsight, it would have been an ingenious call to blitz the LB's and drop the DL (maybe the DE's, not so much the DT's) off into coverage. Messes with the blocking assignments, puts guy in passing lanes that QB's often look 'through' and don't account for, plus gives the impression of pressure when there might not be any (3 LB's blitzing, 4 DL rushing, but 2 DE's drop into coverage = only 5 rushers but it "feels" like more).

But, hindsight is 20/20...

In hindsight, it would have been an ingenious call to blitz the LB's and drop the DL (maybe the DE's, not so much the DT's) off into coverage. Messes with the blocking assignments, puts guy in passing lanes that QB's often look 'through' and don't account for, plus gives the impression of pressure when there might not be any (3 LB's blitzing, 4 DL rushing, but 2 DE's drop into coverage = only 5 rushers but it "feels" like more).

But, hindsight is 20/20...

Yes now that you say it that would have been the perfect coverage...

Last edited:

Latest posts