Your thoughts on the in game reviews that re-officiate the game

If you're going to be allowed to reverse the initial call, then Weezy's basket should have been reversed in the Wisconsin game as Davison's foul occurred long before the shot.

The initial call should have stood in both cases. Bad decision by the referee today.

Simply my $.02 .. ..

bullshit, these guys get paid big money so they should be better, they are half the time crap for what they are getting paid and dont say otherwise just because you ref intramural girls softball or whatever
Put the wine cooler down, Charlene.

What’s even funnier than you getting mad is how dumb you are.

If they’re getting paid “big money” to be the best of the best then that pretty much means you don’t have a fucking clue what they do or how they should do it.

Pretty goddamn stupid for you to think you’re a good evaluator. I bet you could tell us all how a pilot’s supposed to get better at flying an airline and how a surgeon’s supposed to improve on his incision skills too, huh? :rolleyes: You just dig your hole deeper every time.

I’ll have to look into reffing intramural softball; it sounds fun. Was this your first beer tonight? I would think a 77 year old man with one foot in the grave and one on a banana peel would be able to hold his liquor better than that.

Last edited:
I have no problem with homers and no problem with objective criticism of officiating.

What I think is stupid is people (many of them here) who just relentlessly, ad nauseally bitch about reffing. Bad calls go both ways and unless there’s a single ridiculous call like the Saints got in the Super Bowl they even themselves out. These people complain that refs suck, but don’t want refs to call the game equally (even if they say they do). Can’t have cake and eat it too.

I had to listen to the game on the radio, and since I live in Colorado, I listened to the ESPNU station on Sirius. The feed they picked up was the PSU announcers. I had to listen to the pro-PSU announcers bitch about the terrible calls going against them the whole game :). Kinda funny considering this thread. Just like in the rest of life, people see what they want to see based on their own confirmation bias

I had to listen to the game on the radio, and since I live in Colorado, I listened to the ESPNU station on Sirius. The feed they picked up was the PSU announcers. I had to listen to the pro-PSU announcers bitch about the terrible calls going against them the whole game :). Kinda funny considering this thread. Just like in the rest of life, people see what they want to see based on their own confirmation bias

Yes people do see what they want to see but I and many fans also know when a bad call or non-call goes in favor of the hawks or the teams I am rooting for.

The foul call on PSU's Watkins, I think his name is, where he then drew the tech was a horrible foul call. Watkins didnt stick his leg in, his arms and hands were held back, maybe and ounce of his jersey and belly touched the hawk dribbler. Late in games the officials will let some hacks go on without a foul call when a team is purposely trying to stop the clock and then this ref calls a very good defensive position as a foul.

I can see when hawk players get away with holding, a facemask grab, a hack in Bball or a push, or over the back and I know the refs miss those calls against us. I know all the calls dont go against the hawks.

And this is not the subject of the thread.

And those same people bitching about refs don’t have the balls to put on a silly striped shirt and go out there .

I reffed adult Y bball a long time ago and it is difficult I am not going to say it isnt. Those were mostly late teens and 20 year old very athletic guys many of whom were good ball players. The worst part was no uniforms or colored jerseys to tell who was on which teams.

I missed and made some bad calls. One was when I called 3 seconds in the lane and it turned out to be a defender but like I said they didnt have uniforms or any way to tell the teams apart if you didnt know the players. So play just went back to an out of bounds play.

Put the wine cooler down, Charlene.

What’s even funnier than you getting mad is how dumb you are.

If they’re getting paid “big money” to be the best of the best then that pretty much means you don’t have a fucking clue what they do or how they should do it.

Pretty goddamn stupid for you to think you’re a good evaluator. I bet you could tell us all how a pilot’s supposed to get better at flying an airline and how a surgeon’s supposed to improve on his incision skills too, huh? :rolleyes: You just dig your hole deeper every time.

I’ll have to look into reffing intramural softball; it sounds fun. Was this your first beer tonight? I would think a 77 year old man with one foot in the grave and one on a banana peel would be able to hold his liquor better than that.

Wow, you havent even added anything or your thoughts to the main idea of this thread. Do you think the game should be re-officiated during a review to call a common foul on one guy that erases a real time call on an opponent?

I just replied to a few others that I know officials miss calls by all teams and I do not think there is a conspiracy theory against the hawks.

But remember point shaving, remember the NBA ref or refs who were cheating, there is cheating and there could be bias. The last 35 years have seen the made for TV big time Bball matchups between blue bloods etc, games thrown into the schedule. Billy Packer was the matchmaker and helped produce those matchups and he also got paid to be the color announcer on those games. And we all know certain refs got picked to do those big time games. Hummm is what a lot of people thought about the in-breeding that might have arose from those connections.

I reffed adult Y bball a long time ago and it is difficult I am not going to say it isnt. Those were mostly late teens and 20 year old very athletic guys many of whom were good ball players. The worst part was no uniforms or colored jerseys to tell who was on which teams.

I missed and made some bad calls. One was when I called 3 seconds in the lane and it turned out to be a defender but like I said they didnt have uniforms or any way to tell the teams apart if you didnt know the players. So play just went back to an out of bounds play.
Did you give a shit who won? Were you trying to rat F one of the teams out of a victory? Some people on this board really think the refs give a shit who wins and are out to F Iowa. It’s so stupid

Did you give a shit who won? Were you trying to rat F one of the teams out of a victory? Some people on this board really think the refs give a shit who wins and are out to F Iowa. It’s so stupid

No I didnt know any of the players etc so just tried to ref. And no I really dont think there is some overall conspiracy with most officials as a whole but there might be some refs, a small number or percentage, that let a bias or something creep into some calls. For example, I cant think of anything other than some kind of disturbance in Jim Bain's officiating mind or he needed to get out of town to account for the game at Purdue. And I bet most of you have some other examples.

I and most of us could watch a lot of games from the last 20-30 years where we might scratch our heads at the officiating and ask why would they make that call or calls.

I am so concerned with making sure I don’t F up and paying such close attention to the game that I couldn’t even begin to think about what team I was rooting for (which I wouldn’t be anyway). I don’t do basketball, but a banger at first is comparable to a block/charge. It happens so fucking fast that you just react. The last thing you think of is which team is offense/defense. To be honest And that’s just at the high school level. Those guys are under a thousand times more pressure and scrutiny. I guarantee you an official who’s good enough in his/her particular sport to make it to the prime time tv level is not gaming any team.

Anyone whining about it should try it first. Even at the youth level. Your head will spin.

The call reversal that JT got a foul on was actually the correct call. At issue is the cylinder rule (not the cone rule, as someone referred it earlier). In this case, the offensive player, Lamar Stevens, had the right to the space from his body upward. When he made contact with JT, it was a foul on one or the other. When the refs replayed it, they determined that JT violated the "cylinder" and Stevens had a right to that space.
You can disagree with the call but once they blew a whistle and called a foul, it was going to be on one or the other, in this case it was on JT.

Yes people do see what they want to see but I and many fans also know when a bad call or non-call goes in favor of the hawks or the teams I am rooting for.

The foul call on PSU's Watkins, I think his name is, where he then drew the tech was a horrible foul call. Watkins didnt stick his leg in, his arms and hands were held back, maybe and ounce of his jersey and belly touched the hawk dribbler. Late in games the officials will let some hacks go on without a foul call when a team is purposely trying to stop the clock and then this ref calls a very good defensive position as a foul.

I can see when hawk players get away with holding, a facemask grab, a hack in Bball or a push, or over the back and I know the refs miss those calls against us. I know all the calls dont go against the hawks.

And this is not the subject of the thread.
There is no such thing as over the back or reach in basketball . There is no such calls for an official . They also have primary coverage areas aka PCA . When the basketball isn’t in your area you only watch the players without the ball . The second technical on penn st was a bad call because sometimes your eyes deceive you . Evelyn lost control of the ball on his own and the official who didn’t have the best angle probably thought it came from a bump so he banged it . They call what they see. They get paid great money either way no matter who wins so there isn’t any bias . You have to be an excellent official to get hired by a power conference . The people who think the officiating is bad in the big ten this year don’t have the slightest clue about officiating. They have actually been pretty good for us this year considering Garza has to be the most difficult player to officiate in the league because how physical he is on the offensive end.

My thoughts are simple: officials get 60 seconds to review a call, then the tv monitor automatically shuts off. If the officials didn’t see enough to overturn the initial call, they have to stick with it.

My thoughts are simple: officials get 60 seconds to review a call, then the tv monitor automatically shuts off. If the officials didn’t see enough to overturn the initial call, they have to stick with it.
Make it even more simple...any reviews that seem to go against Izzo, Krzhefski, yada, yada, will be ignored.

The call reversal that JT got a foul on was actually the correct call. At issue is the cylinder rule (not the cone rule, as someone referred it earlier). In this case, the offensive player, Lamar Stevens, had the right to the space from his body upward. When he made contact with JT, it was a foul on one or the other. When the refs replayed it, they determined that JT violated the "cylinder" and Stevens had a right to that space.
You can disagree with the call but once they blew a whistle and called a foul, it was going to be on one or the other, in this case it was on JT.

I completely disagree that they had to call a foul on someone. Calling that foul sets a bad presidence that if a defender gets close to you, you can initiate contact with them and it has to be a foul on the defender. If you want to have a rule that it's ok to initiate contact with a defender that's in your cylinder, that's fine. But to make it a foul on the defender if the offensive player initiates the contact is beyond ridiculous.

There is no such thing as over the back or reach in basketball . There is no such calls for an official . They also have primary coverage areas aka PCA . When the basketball isn’t in your area you only watch the players without the ball . The second technical on penn st was a bad call because sometimes your eyes deceive you . Evelyn lost control of the ball on his own and the official who didn’t have the best angle probably thought it came from a bump so he banged it . They call what they see. They get paid great money either way no matter who wins so there isn’t any bias . You have to be an excellent official to get hired by a power conference . The people who think the officiating is bad in the big ten this year don’t have the slightest clue about officiating. They have actually been pretty good for us this year considering Garza has to be the most difficult player to officiate in the league because how physical he is on the offensive end.
There is no such thing as an over the back call or a reaching in call if the defender doesn't make contact. Everyone knows that. When you jump into someone's back and push them forward to get a rebound from behind them, that is absolutely a foul and people call it "over the back".

When you reach in and don't make contact, it's not a foul. Everyone also knows that. But when you reach in and make contact, it's a foul. People call it a "reach in".

I see people all the time say there is no such thing as an over the back or a reach in. Since you just said it, can I ask you why? Do you think people don't understand that it's not a foul if you don't make contact? Or do you just hate the naming of the fouls? Would you rather someone say "he jumped up and bumped him from behind when he was trying to get that rebound!"? Because to me it's just easier to say "over the back" since everyone knows what that means anyway.

Or is it just people trying to sound smart because they think they know something about basketball that other people don't?

I don't have an issue with missed calls and I never have....the game is too fast to get every call right.

What I DO have an issue with is the change in how the game is called from half to half or even in the last 5 minutes. What was a foul for 35 minutes all of a sudden isn't a foul or vice versa. The other issue I have is refs who feel the need to yuck it up and have a conversation with a coach while the game is going on. The game against MSU is a prime example. Last 5 minutes of a close game and fat-ass Sciorotto is having a big laugh with Izzo while one of the team's is shooting free throws. Why the F is that happening during the game? The refs aren't there to make friends or be buddy-buddy....they're there to officiate a game that, between wagering and the potential impact of the game on conference/NCAA seeding, is worth millions of dollars. So shut the F up and do your job.

For those who think Iowa (or their own team) is the only team that gets bad calls, I suggest you follow this twitter account ... Bad Sports Refs. There are some good ones in there. Here's one from yesterday ... Sometimes, the refs anticipate something and the whistle blows ... and then they feel like they need to make a call ... any call. :)

I am so concerned with making sure I don’t F up and paying such close attention to the game that I couldn’t even begin to think about what team I was rooting for (which I wouldn’t be anyway). I don’t do basketball, but a banger at first is comparable to a block/charge. It happens so fucking fast that you just react. The last thing you think of is which team is offense/defense. To be honest And that’s just at the high school level. Those guys are under a thousand times more pressure and scrutiny. I guarantee you an official who’s good enough in his/her particular sport to make it to the prime time tv level is not gaming any team.

Anyone whining about it should try it first. Even at the youth level. Your head will spin.

These are for you Fry ... enjoy. :)

Does anyone know what plays are reviewable and what plays are not? I cannot remember, ever, seeing a foul reversed after going to review so I didnt know they could do that.

Latest posts