Your thoughts on molten salt nuclear fission reactors - yea or nay or I dont know

SoCal should only have maybe a million people tops. It ain't climate change's fault there's a water problem. There are plenty of water rich pockets in the state, but SoCal is a desert. Same with Arizona. Phoenix should be a sleepy town of 100,000, not the fifth largest city in the country.
1652213753415.png

Many of our nuclear plants in the US are getting pretty long in the tooth which can be be quite dangerous for a disaster and/or a maintenance problem. This is an issue. I know the plant at Palo near Cedar Rapids close to where I live was shuttered a few years ago.

I think you are correct. A guy I graduated high school worked in the Palo control room a long time ago

I wouldn't think there would be many electrocutions in the generation of electricity. Mostly would come from distribution and consumption.

In the US most breathing contamination likely comes from household burning, automobiles, and agricultural purposes... I would think.

Don't think you answered my main question though. I do remember a small university reactor releasing radioactive gas where I went to school.

3 Mile Island could have been a lot worse.

Recently was looking into moving to Nevada and studied radioactive fallout in the US. Years ago I was considering a move to Ukraine for an agricultural business. My neighbor who worked at a local reactor came over with maps and discussed the impact on my kids. I didn't go.

I do believe based on my anecdotal observation that the impact of Chernobyl was a lot worse than reported and Ukraine didn't get the worst of it.

I also am aware of what recently happened at Chernobyl with Russian troops and what was a possible disaster in the making at Zaporhyzia.

What is interesting is that Diablo isn't considered the reactor most at risk from earthquakes. Disasters do happen. Back in the 1970 or early 80s was it lake Rathbun than had something like three of five hundred-year rain storms in 2 years? With storm intensities increasing it was interesting to see the Missouri flooding the area of the Nebraska plant.

What I find interesting is that it used to be Democrats that didn't trust business and Govt.
Chernobyl was a huge disaster and how much has really been released by the old USSR about what happened. IIRC some of it was faulty design and safety systems.

Well I am a democrat but I also have studied a lot of science. These newer type reactors which were based on some of the first reactors seem safer by design

While there are many concerns about nuclear power plants, one of the biggest concerns has emerged in just the last 10 yrs. The Ukraine/Russia war has demonstrated the vulnerability/danger of nuke plants during times of conflict, but even nuclear plants in the U.S. are vulnerable to an individual terrorist attack by drone. Can you imagine the scene if a drone dropped a bomb on a nuclear plant in the U.S.? I can. In fact, if I wanted to truly wreak havoc in the U.S. -- other than a cyberattack on our power grid -- simply having a drone drop a bomb on a nuclear power plant would be at the top of my list.

Thanks for that positive thought. And life is a crapshoot. But I am trying to be a little more positive about solving problems.

I actually pondered being a lineman back in the day when I was trying to decide what I wanted to do after HS.

My best friend's dad was a linemen and I know a few others. Good job, tough job, can be well paying job with OT. And it is the kind of job that cant be shipped overseas.

Got to tell you a story that Jerry Parr personally told me. Parr was the secret service guy who stuffed Reagan in the car after the shooting. Was in his home in DC. Asked him why he chose the secret service.

"I was working as a lineman in Tennessee. There was an ice storm and the pole I was on snapped right off. The pole with my head leading the way fell toward the ground. The line acted like a rubber band and stopped me from being a pile driver into the ground weighted by the pole. Like a bungee chord it shot me back up in the are and the process repeated itself over and over again, each time thinking I was going to die. I told myself I needed to do something safer and applied for the secret service".

Asked him few other questions as he was showing me his tomato plants. He said Spirow Agnew was the nicest guy he protected among all the presidents and vp's. He said Kennedy seemed to generally care for people. Went on to say that most got nicer as the gravity of the job weighed on them.

What did he think when he figured out Reagan was shot? If we go to the WH, he might die. If we go to hospital, the stock market is going to crash.

He said Reagan for sure didn't walk into the hospital. He was too gravely injured. It's a myth. His job after securing Reagan was to secure the area from staff taking soveniers. He went to his desk and handed me the handkerchief he used to wipe Reagans blood from his mouth.

Very interesting man. Very down to earth.

Got to tell you a story that Jerry Parr personally told me. Parr was the secret service guy who stuffed Reagan in the car after the shooting. Was in his home in DC. Asked him why he chose the secret service.

"I was working as a lineman in Tennessee. There was an ice storm and the pole I was on snapped right off. The pole with my head leading the way fell toward the ground. The line acted like a rubber band and stopped me from being a pile driver into the ground weighted by the pole. Like a bungee chord it shot me back up in the are and the process repeated itself over and over again, each time thinking I was going to die. I told myself I needed to do something safer and applied for the secret service".

Asked him few other questions as he was showing me his tomato plants. He said Spirow Agnew was the nicest guy he protected among all the presidents and vp's. He said Kennedy seemed to generally care for people. Went on to say that most got nicer as the gravity of the job weighed on them.

What did he think when he figured out Reagan was shot? If we go to the WH, he might die. If we go to hospital, the stock market is going to crash.

He said Reagan for sure didn't walk into the hospital. He was too gravely injured. It's a myth. His job after securing Reagan was to secure the area from staff taking soveniers. He went to his desk and handed me the handkerchief he used to wipe Reagans blood from his mouth.

Very interesting man. Very down to earth.

Holy shit!

Very interesting describing his experience. That's a hell of a career shift. Probably very low odds to make it thru be become Secret Service.

SoCal should only have maybe a million people tops. It ain't climate change's fault there's a water problem. There are plenty of water rich pockets in the state, but SoCal is a desert. Same with Arizona. Phoenix should be a sleepy town of 100,000, not the fifth largest city in the country.
You are absolutely right. It's a double whammy. Way back in the day, the original moneymaking grifters out here conned the public into coming west. "There will be plenty of rain to grow crops" they said.... There is a book called Cadillac Desert that's a bit of a tedious read, but it details the history of water diversion and shenanigans. This guy named Mulholland (streets and other things named after him here), sounded like a real gem. He ran LA City Water in the early days.

So Cal is looking at major water restrictions this summer. As they should. People can't be watering lawns. Same in Phoenix and Las Vegas.

Don't they also have planned blackouts out there? You two are kind of making it sound like the grid is always full and/or there is an excess. Maybe we just aren't in the dead heat of summer yet.

Then add into that the drought and water issues. Yikes.
I am kinda saying just what happened. Read it again.

You are absolutely right. It's a double whammy. Way back in the day, the original moneymaking grifters out here conned the public into coming west. "There will be plenty of rain to grow crops" they said.... There is a book called Cadillac Desert that's a bit of a tedious read, but it details the history of water diversion and shenanigans. This guy named Mulholland (streets and other things named after him here), sounded like a real gem. He ran LA City Water in the early days.

So Cal is looking at major water restrictions this summer. As they should. People can't be watering lawns. Same in Phoenix and Las Vegas.

I don't need to read no damned book. Just listen to Ira Hayes by Johnny Cash.