Your biggest memory from TN vs IA

eyekwah

For me it was Bohannon shoving the TN screener resulting in a double foul. After that the refs started cleaning things up. TN got called a lot for fouling and IA was in the bonus+ early.
Another item in Friday's game and today's was Bohannon got into some strong conversations with some teammates after miscues. It has been missing.

Big Baer had some key plays that will be missed next year. His passing into Garza & the one particular offensive rebound late in the game resulting in a big 3 by JDubs (JW). Iowa would be a different program if all of the players had Baer's hustle.

Bo shoving that screener off. Showed me Iowa was going to fight in the 2nd half. Also Moss fade for the tie.

The score was 73-71, Moss got the steal and missed two shots on the possession, Cook fumbled away an easy putback. Iowa lost all momentum after that.

That shot by Moss was the first time he's made a huge shot in a huge moment. It was on the biggest stage too. Maybe that's something to build on for next year.
Moss made a huge shot to pull within one against Northwestern. But he's missed his share too. He tried to go hero early in OT in the Indiana game, missing a corner three, might have bricked a free throw, and Fran got him out of there. We were not so lucky yesterday.

All I know is Hawks got tough, started getting a little physical, and TN pooped their pants in the 2nd half. Fran....please think about this for next year.

I'll remember the fight and the comeback. Team showed some grit - they were just not quite good enough to be one of the best 16 teams still standing in 19. Honestly, even with my high expectations, I didn't really see them as that good to begin with. They were a little better than expected. My mind is racing with where they can go from here. I don't think there's a ton to be too negative about going into next year. They have flaws, as does every single team in the country. I am really excited with all the new additions we have coming into the fold. The best thing about this season IMO, is it's "ok" to be excited about Iowa basketball again.

Not sure an overtime loss quite qualifies as a "Where were you when 9/11 happened" type of thing but I will basically remember giving up on the game and going out and about to do other stuff - then kicking myself for doing so when I saw the game got close.. And watching the score updates on my phone while out at the store.

A year from now, my biggest memory will likely be, simply, that we lost.

Last edited:
JBo hitting the three to make it 56-61. When I saw we were within five points I realized it really WAS going to be a competitive game.

I'll remember all the yins and yangs to it. Coming into the year expectations were pretty low from the 'experts' Many thought we'd be 9th or lower. Yet we got out of the blocks fast and ran the table in the non conference. (something we hadn't done forever) Played pretty well and had some big time wins. Yet got crushed a few times too. But thankfully those were fewer and far between then last yr. Then we had that nose dive the last month or so where guys just ran out of gas & maybe some focus. Then they showed their fight against Cinci when the first half didn't go so well.

So it all culminated yesterday. We got absolutely destroyed in the first half and the fight our boys showed in the 2nd half was nothing short of amazing. They did something that'd never been done before. We don't have any scandalous players or coaches. They've all been a great group of kids to be proud of. They represent the school very well. To say Baer will be missed would be the largest understatement I could come up with.

The enigma that is Iowa basketball still rings true. It's not as bad as it seems and they aren't as good as we wish they'd be...

You have to be ready from the start against elite teams. Outstanding comeback, their defense and overall aggressiveness was a joy to watch, all for which they should have a sense of pride, but also a sense of what if, as in, what if we played like that from the opening tip? That will be my memory, they're capable, but it's not automatic. But more important than my memory, that's a lesson they should take into next year. It would serve them well.

Moss made a huge shot to pull within one against Northwestern. But he's missed his share too. He tried to go hero early in OT in the Indiana game, missing a corner three, might have bricked a free throw, and Fran got him out of there. We were not so lucky yesterday.
Moss, going hero, discipline breaks down, driving (head down) and shooting (and missing) without any awareness that other players are on the court. End

Two thoughts that remain...

1- Cook spinning to the left past The Admiral and slamming it down with his left hand. Move out of the way, son, I am coming in for a landing.

2- How Iowa's football and basketball seasons were very similar. Lots of talent and opportunities, but mostly missed opportunities.

You have to be ready from the start against elite teams. Outstanding comeback, their defense and overall aggressiveness was a joy to watch, all for which they should have a sense of pride, but also a sense of what if, as in, what if we played like that from the opening tip? That will be my memory, they're capable, but it's not automatic. But more important than my memory, that's a lesson they should take into next year. It would serve them well.
Totally agree. As Hayden Fry once said (paraphrasing), "If I see anyone smiling about this I'm going to punch them in the mouth."

It is a broken record, but Iowa HAS TO START WINNING these big games on a big stage. Otherwise, they will be stuck in neutral. They have got out of the mud with Fran (and back into the mud at times seemingly every year), but if they want to be in drive mode, they have to win the big games when they matter.

Two thoughts that remain...

1- Cook spinning to the left past The Admiral and slamming it down with his left hand. Move out of the way, son, I am coming in for a landing.

2- How Iowa's football and basketball seasons were very similar. Lots of talent and opportunities, but mostly missed opportunities.
Right you are.