You think the Hawks stats are mediocre, have you seen ISU's....

HawksMN

OK so their leading rusher is their QB as well. RB's haven't done a thing in two games.
Sound familiar?

And why are we trembling at the thought?

The only thing Iworry about is the avalanche of excuses coming our way. Which conference officials are doing this game does anyone know? I hope it's the Big 12, they know how Paw begs and lies.

Offense
Iowa Iowa State

Total 428 286
passing 296 182
Rushing 138 103
Points 24 21

Defense
Iowa Iowa State
Total D 312 488
Rushing 57 267
Passing 254 221
Points 18 33

Things could be worse. There is only one category where ISU is ahead of Iowa. Pass D; 221 versus Iowa's 254. And that's inflated with the UNI big plays.

Offense
Iowa Iowa State

Total 428 286
passing 296 182
Rushing 138 103
Points 24 21

Defense
Iowa Iowa State
Total D 312 488
Rushing 57 267
Passing 254 221
Points 18 33

Things could be worse. There is only one category where ISU is ahead of Iowa. Pass D; 221 versus Iowa's 254. And that's inflated with the UNI big plays.

Interesting numbers and thanks for posting. But totally meaningless when it comes to this game. Going all the way back to Earle Bruce when the series resumed in 1977, CyClown coaches regularly get their players jacked up to play the Hawkeyes. While Iowa State is just one of 12 opponents on the road to a bowl game (frequently on New Year's Day) for Iowa, the game with their hated brethren to the east most years is Iowa State's one chance to beat the "big guys." So I expect Paw Rhoads to already be red in the face when the Clowns take the field for pre-game warm ups, and be in full throat mode by kickoff.

Add in the fact Kurt's conservative play-calling makes a Hayden Fry-style ***-kicking virtually a thing of the past, this will be a slugfest, likely decided in the last possession or two.

KSU and NDSU are both better than the two teams we have played. Maybe by a lot. Going on the first two weeks neither team is very good right now and Iowa just lost their best player and will be starting two redshirt freshman on the left side. Not sure how we get the run game going this week. I also worry about Mabin vs Lazard. Even King will have a huge disadvantage of about 7 in inches in height against that guy. I hope Iowa wins but the won't cover the shrinking spread

All that matters is how many points you score and give up. Hawks arent scoring a lot of points and they arent giving up a lot. Offensive Stats dont matter unless you can score

KSU and NDSU are both better than the two teams we have played. Maybe by a lot. Going on the first two weeks neither team is very good right now and Iowa just lost their best player and will be starting two redshirt freshman on the left side. Not sure how we get the run game going this week. I also worry about Mabin vs Lazard. Even King will have a huge disadvantage of about 7 in inches in height against that guy. I hope Iowa wins but the won't cover the shrinking spread

I honestly believe UNI could give NDSU a run for their money. I hope we get the chance to find out. While I do believe K-State is better than anyone the Hawks have played thus far I am not convinced that they are a top 25 team this year (mainly because they let ISU hang around with them and I truly believe ISU is terrible). We'll see how things shake out in the next few weeks, but I do not think the Cyclones first two opponents were as tough as they're trying to make it sound. This is what Cyclone fans do. They argue strength of schedule. It's in their DNA. That's the first response they give when making excuses. I swear they do it every year, and they always want to use the strength of schedule rankings that come out before the season instead of the final ones that come out after. Why? Well because it's almost always proven that their strength of schedule isn't near as difficult as they'd been saying all season.

It was funny to see Cyclone fans lay every excuse in the world as to why NDSU isn't the same team this year as they were last year prior to their game against them (trying to convince themselves and Bison fans that they will win). Then as soon as they got demolished by the Bison all you hear coming out of Ames is how good that team is... Weird huh?

ISU will be innovative in their passing attack, they will score points, they will make dumb mistakes too. The key number is 21. Iowa scores 22 they win. If they can't score 22, they lose.

K State is going to get blown out against Auburn next week, and NDSU struggled with Weber ******* State. Neither of those teams is that good.

Not at all worried about the comparison of stats. I would be surprised however if Iowa can't establish a running game. Although I was surprised the last two weeks. If we can't run this week vs ISU, then we arent going to be able to run this season without some major changes. They will be the worst run D we will face all year.

Too many times (on paper) it looked like Iowa should walk away with the game. Saturday ... I am sort of expecting to see: We will try to prove we can run the football ... We will see more of Canzeri and Daniels and less of Weisman ... I expect Richardson will have end up having his best passing day of the season ... You will see us more aggressive in the red zone (because of the suspect kicking game) ... We will try more deep passes ... Beathard will get another series or two (just to see what he can do) ... ISU will gear up to stop the run ...

For Iowa to control this game, we need to control the clock ... We need 5, 6, 7 minute drives ... Not the hurry-up quick passes and then a punt ... ISU won't be able to run the football on us ... Look for the Cyclones to catch us sleeping once or twice on the deepball ... Again, I think we make Richardson look better than he really is ...

I don't see either team scoring much more than 23 points ... See something like a 23-16 score ...

K State is going to get blown out against Auburn next week, and NDSU struggled with Weber ******* State. Neither of those teams is that good.

I'm going on record too that K-State is a pretender...a major pretender. Auburn is going to destroy them. That running QB won't stand a chance against a defense that attacks you. He sat back and waited for his blocks to develop then hit the hole as it opened up. Against Auburn, he will be on his arse while he waits...they will have a guy in the backfield...that won't fly. He doesn't pass the ball well enough to beat a team when the running game is stifled. I'll be shocked if they are within 3 scores of Auburn.

The difference will be the lines. ISU has horrible offensive and defensive lines. They will connect on a few long passes and we (myself included) will freak out on here but our D line will beat them up all game and I expect us to pull away nicely in the 4th. This will be an ugly mauling where ISU knows exactly what we are doing but will not be able to stop it.

Also, please stop the argument that this game is more important to Iowa State...with KF's record against these guys...especially Woads, he wants to win badly. Its a black mark on his tenure here. Although our season goals are the priority and getting better the goal in these early games, a trophy game against a hated in-state rival is a big freaking deal. As an Iowa fan, I think it's a big deal too...and important.

That argument that it doesn't mean anything to Iowa is crap. It's always a measuring stick game to find out how we do when the expectations and atmosphere get jacked up. The fact that several of these 5th year guys remember 2011 and 2012, should be plenty of motivation. I expect LTP and Carl Davis will be ready to play.

ISU will be innovative in their passing attack, they will score points, they will make dumb mistakes too. The key number is 21. Iowa scores 22 they win. If they can't score 22, they lose.

I think this is a fair statement. The Hawks have got to find a way to start scoring in the redzone, whether that's massive improvement in the kicking game or better yet, getting TD's.

Barring some crazy events, I can absolutely see the defense holding them under 3 scores, but if we've learned anything from this game, we know isu will be hair on fire and the ball can bounce funny.

Win the turnover battle, win field position game, limit penalties = no reason Iowa shouldn't win by double digits...right? RIGHTT???

Latest posts