You think the Hawks stats are mediocre, have you seen ISU's....

Just a few stats for the discussion, use them as you please.

Iowa
ISU
Offense:
Rushing Yards Per Attempt
Passing Yards Per Attempt
3rd Down Conversion %
51.52%
Red Zone Conversions
7/12, 6 TD, 1FG
4/4, 4TD
Plays 10+ Yards
Plays 20+ Yards
Sacks Allowed
Tackles for Loss Allowed
Defense
Rushing Yards Per Attempt Given Up
Passing Yards Per Attempt Given Up
Opponent 3rd Down Conversion %
31.25%
51.72%
Opponent Red Zone Conversions
5/5, 5FG
9/9, 6TD, 3FG
Plays 10+ Yards Given Up
Plays 20+ Yards Given Up
Sacks
Tackles for Loss
Other
Average Time of Possession
32:10.50
27:03.50
Penalty Yards Per Game
Turnover Margin

Special team's play has been ISU's strong suit thus far in my opinion........punting, FG's, scoring and/or gaining good field position from their kick off and punt return personnel.

In close games (which are most of our games) these are difference makers as well as turnovers and we don't rank so well in most of these categories............ at least through 2 games.

Special team's play has been ISU's strong suit thus far in my opinion........punting, FG's, scoring and/or gaining good field position from their kick off and punt return personnel.

In close games (which are most of our games) these are difference makers as well as turnovers and we don't rank so well in most of these categories............ at least through 2 games.

See above and maybe revise some of your statements :p

Also, please stop the argument that this game is more important to Iowa State...with KF's record against these guys...especially Woads, he wants to win badly. Its a black mark on his tenure here. Although our season goals are the priority and getting better the goal in these early games, a trophy game against a hated in-state rival is a big freaking deal. As an Iowa fan, I think it's a big deal too...and important.

That argument that it doesn't mean anything to Iowa is crap. It's always a measuring stick game to find out how we do when the expectations and atmosphere get jacked up. The fact that several of these 5th year guys remember 2011 and 2012, should be plenty of motivation. I expect LTP and Carl Davis will be ready to play.

It isn't more important per say, but it is ISU's Super Bowl. If ISU beats Iowa their year is complete, they can win 2 or 3 other games, but Clown fans can run their mouths for a whole year on Iowa, so they are fine with the year. Iowa wins, and it is onto the B1G season, as Iowa has much more important goals than beating ISU.

See above and maybe revise some of your statements :p

No, don't think so as my point was simply pointing out special team's play and I see little in your stats that relate directly to special teams.

These units can change the outcome of a game regardless of how well you may or may not march up and down the field all day. Last week's game vs. Ball State is a good example if you didn't notice. It was no contest in the overall stat dept. but it still took an emergency run in the closing minutes to salvage a victory.

ISU has executed the kicking game well so far as well as well as using kickoff and punt return weapons for game changing threats...........all special teams, which was my original point. :p

ISU will be innovative in their passing attack, they will score points, they will make dumb mistakes too. The key number is 21. Iowa scores 22 they win. If they can't score 22, they lose.

Thinking just the opposite, if ISU scores more than 24 they will probably win. Gulp, I can't believe i am saying this, but iowa can't afford to get in a offensive shootout with anybody including Iowa St.

At this point I have no faith in GD or KF to counter if ISU is consistently putting points on the board.

Thinking just the opposite, if ISU scores more than 24 they will probably win. Gulp, I can't believe i am saying this, but iowa can't afford to get in a offensive shootout with anybody including Iowa St.

At this point I have no faith in GD or KF to counter if ISU is consistently putting points on the board.

I disagree, when Iowa has to throw it downfield and you take obvious runs and 1 yard out routes away the offense has looked good.

Interesting numbers and thanks for posting. But totally meaningless when it comes to this game. Going all the way back to Earle Bruce when the series resumed in 1977, CyClown coaches regularly get their players jacked up to play the Hawkeyes. While Iowa State is just one of 12 opponents on the road to a bowl game (frequently on New Year's Day) for Iowa, the game with their hated brethren to the east most years is Iowa State's one chance to beat the "big guys." So I expect Paw Rhoads to already be red in the face when the Clowns take the field for pre-game warm ups, and be in full throat mode by kickoff.

Add in the fact Kurt's conservative play-calling makes a Hayden Fry-style ***-kicking virtually a thing of the past, this will be a slugfest, likely decided in the last possession or two.

Yes very true. I posted these just to show that even though many are disappointed in Iowa thus far, it could be worse. One thing I see that can't be represented here is the fight that ISU displayed in their games.

This year is a total mismatch. Iowa has the edge on the D line versus their offensive line. Iowa has the edge on the offensive line versus their defensive line. Iowa's WR's are a diverse group with size and speed. Iowa State's DB's are small. The one thing that is always a problem as you pointed out is the tenacity that Iowa State plays Iowa. Stats just go out the window.

It isn't more important per say, but it is ISU's Super Bowl. If ISU beats Iowa their year is complete, they can win 2 or 3 other games, but Clown fans can run their mouths for a whole year on Iowa, so they are fine with the year. Iowa wins, and it is onto the B1G season, as Iowa has much more important goals than beating ISU.

You have an ESPN television audience, which the players know, if Iowa players aren't as jacked up as Iowa State, then we have a problem. If you are talking about just the fans, yes, ISU fan considers this to be the be all end all game.

I'm addressing it from a team / ferentz perspective. KF gets this game and he knows his teams have underperformed against ISU...he wants the trophy in the case...and the last thing he needs is ISU players running across the field in Kinnick to take the thing back. If I'm him, I'm showing tape of 2012 and any other year where Ronald McDonald runs over and swears ketchup on the CyHawk. The caption should read, "you want fries with that".

It's of the same importance on both sides from a coach/player standpoint. Although one may save his job by beating Iowa again.

Also, please stop the argument that this game is more important to Iowa State...with KF's record against these guys...especially Woads, he wants to win badly. Its a black mark on his tenure here. Although our season goals are the priority and getting better the goal in these early games, a trophy game against a hated in-state rival is a big freaking deal. As an Iowa fan, I think it's a big deal too...and important.

That argument that it doesn't mean anything to Iowa is crap. It's always a measuring stick game to find out how we do when the expectations and atmosphere get jacked up. The fact that several of these 5th year guys remember 2011 and 2012, should be plenty of motivation. I expect LTP and Carl Davis will be ready to play.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that Kurt Ferentz or the Hawkeyes don't take this game seriously; I know they do. I just think their approach -- as it has been from the Fry days -- is that Iowa State is just one of 12 games they are guaranteed to play. If they take care of business in those games, there could be at least one more and in some place warmer and (probably) nicer than Iowa City.

It is very obvious that is not the case up the road in Ames, where there are more players from the state and some likely resentful that they were not recruited by Ferentz. Beat Iowa, your season is immediately a success, whether you win another game the rest of the way.

No, don't think so as my point was simply pointing out special team's play and I see little in your stats that relate directly to special teams.

These units can change the outcome of a game regardless of how well you may or may not march up and down the field all day. Last week's game vs. Ball State is a good example if you didn't notice. It was no contest in the overall stat dept. but it still took an emergency run in the closing minutes to salvage a victory.

ISU has executed the kicking game well so far as well as well as using kickoff and punt return weapons for game changing threats...........all special teams, which was my original point. :p

I understand what you are getting at. That said, ISU is yet to attempt a FG so you can't say their FG kicking is an advantage to this point even with Iowa's lack of ability shown thus far. Their kick return game has not been better than Iowa's but their punt return game has. The punting stats are deceptive based on situation so I'll take your word for it since Iowa's hasn't been good at all. Lastly, they have -3 turnover margin while Iowa's is even. That is why I said you may want to revise "some" of your statement, not all of it.

Way too small of a sample size to get much from these numbers. If we can run Saturday we will be ok. If we can't run isu will just have to cover our short passing game and they could get a win. Watch for our run game early as a key.

Way too small of a sample size to get much from these numbers. If we can run Saturday we will be ok. If we can't run isu will just have to cover our short passing game and they could get a win. Watch for our run game early as a key.

Very true. 2 games at the beginning of a season is a very small and deceptive sample size. Like you said, getting the run game going will be key.

Iowa State's giving up over 200 yards passing a game. I think Iowa's passing game will survive. If Iowa cant dominate these guys early and often it's going to be a long season. This is one of the worst ISU teams Iowa has faced. They are even worse than last year's team.

I think ISU is going to struggle to score points on the Iowa defense. They don't have much offensively, and Iowa's defense...though young in spots, will be the best they have faced this year. Add in the fact that the game is at Kinnick.

Latest posts