"You talk about a program where people get mad because they win 10 games every year..."

Personally, I think it's a team sport and you win and lose as a team. I don't think it was really all on Brian mostly because we know he wasn't calling the shots. I think if Kirk had gotten his way, he would have demoted Brian to an analyst position or Oline coach and promoted a different assistant to OC because he likely knew that Iowa's problem on offense had more to do with himself then Brian. I would have preferred that as well because I think BF is a heck of a coach (TE and OL) and was a great ambassador of what Iowa football is and was likely the 2nd loudest voice in room in most cases. I will be interested in seeing how things look this year, but I bet it's only marginally better and resembles what we've watched for the better part of 25 seasons.

I think we are going to find out quite a bit the first two games. If it looks run of the mill like in past years, it all points to KF for sure. If the offense shows some Lester influence, we know KF has loosened up his grip over it and maybe realized evolution needed to happen.

Locksley crammed a lot of stupidity into one sentence.

-Nobody gets mad about winning 10 games
-Iowa doesn't win 10 games "every year"
-You just hired the very guy that the people were "mad" at.

I've always felt he was the biggest douche in the conference (yes, over Franklin and Fleck)
He sure seemed awfully proud to be taking Iowa's cast off that's for sure. I guess the HC for MD can only expect to get guys like that anyway. BF in a consulting role wouldn't hurt.

It just sucks that KF and BF took the approach to his career that they did. Cause they coulda easily have voluntarily had BF step down 2 or 3 yrs ago and stay on as Oline coach and searched for a new OC and they coulda kept on keeping on.

My guess is Barta getting pushed out how he was put a monkey wrench into their plans. The combination of a new AD with just how bad things had gotten with BF with fan/donor pressure just made things untenable. It's just wild that KF thought looking at the production of the O the last few yrs that keeping BF as OC was even a possibility. They really shoulda been preemptive about it and not let it get that bad. We all knew 2 yrs prior a move shoulda been made.

“Adding Brian to the staff has been great because I’ve always had a lot of respect for Kirk, for the Iowa program. You talk about a program where people get mad because they win 10 games every year – I mean, that’s a great problem to have,” Locksley said. “My heart is for coaches’ kids because I have kids and I know the sacrifice. Imagine being the head coach and people just talk about your son, your child. Mama bear doesn’t like it, Daddy bear doesn’t like it, and so coaches’ kids go through a lot of stuff, man, and I’m very partial.”

“They understand it and they get it,” Locksley continued, “and I can tell you that having Brian on my staff, he brings an expertise in running the football (and) offensive line play. They’re (Iowa) the gold standard for what O-linemen, tight ends look like. Why wouldn’t I take him and add him to my team to bring a skill that we need to get better at but also bring some championship pedigree to it at a discounted price?”

Personally, I think it's a team sport and you win and lose as a team. I don't think it was really all on Brian mostly because we know he wasn't calling the shots. I think if Kirk had gotten his way, he would have demoted Brian to an analyst position or Oline coach and promoted a different assistant to OC because he likely knew that Iowa's problem on offense had more to do with himself then Brian. I would have preferred that as well because I think BF is a heck of a coach (TE and OL) and was a great ambassador of what Iowa football is and was likely the 2nd loudest voice in room in most cases. I will be interested in seeing how things look this year, but I bet it's only marginally better and resembles what we've watched for the better part of 25 seasons.
Not following you on the ambassador part. He couldn't keep his cool like his dad and the language he used with the media didn't reflect well on the program either.

I wish BF the best. It didn't work here. We can point and lay blame to many things. But at the end of the day he was on the higher end of the food chain and besides Kirk, the buck stopped with him. I think it was a critical mistake to put Brian in the OC for a few reasons.

IF he would have stayed with more of his expertise on the O-line, I think he would have thrived. But lack of experience, a basic offense that's success was based upon execution, and injuries exposed many things.

Hopefully, with Lester in place, we get some new wrinkles and can mitigated this anemic offensive woes that has plagued us. But best of luck to Brian and let's hope he gets another opportunity to reset his coaching career.

He sure seemed awfully proud to be taking Iowa's cast off that's for sure. I guess the HC for MD can only expect to get guys like that anyway. BF in a consulting role wouldn't hurt.

It just sucks that KF and BF took the approach to his career that they did. Cause they coulda easily have voluntarily had BF step down 2 or 3 yrs ago and stay on as Oline coach and searched for a new OC and they coulda kept on keeping on.

My guess is Barta getting pushed out how he was put a monkey wrench into their plans. The combination of a new AD with just how bad things had gotten with BF with fan/donor pressure just made things untenable. It's just wild that KF thought looking at the production of the O the last few yrs that keeping BF as OC was even a possibility. They really shoulda been preemptive about it and not let it get that bad. We all knew 2 yrs prior a move shoulda been made.
BF was a solid OLine coach. That's where he should have stayed. KFz clearly was trying to set him up as the next HC. Not good.

Latest posts