You Might Be Late to The Iowa Basketball Party If...

So much DERP.

Gatens and May were 2 of the most vilified players on these boards until they had fantastic senior seasons and then they turned into everybody's favorite player.

Much the same treatment Oglesby gets around here.

This. The thread was predicated on calling out people who only started paying attention the last two years. People act like these two are the twin pillars of our program.

The truth is, fans ripped both of these players unmercifully for their first three years. Let me be clear: I like both Matt and Eric. I don't like hypocritical fans, though.

You still have a massive amount of butthurt directed at anything related to Steve Alford.

Funny. I was going to post "you have no less than a massive amount of butthurt directed at anything related to Steve Alford."

Different strokes for different...butts. I guess.
I was thinking about posting:
"...you don't understand the damage done to the Iowa basketball program by Steve Alford."

I decided that discretion is the better part of valor and decided not to post it.

GO HAWKS!!!

This. The thread was predicated on calling out people who only started paying attention the last two years. People act like these two are the twin pillars of our program.

The truth is, fans ripped both of these players unmercifully for their first three years. Let me be clear: I like both Matt and Eric. I don't like hypocritical fans, though.

Although true, if we make it back, I will certainly remember Gatens and May as being two critical pieces of our return to glory, however.

Although true, if we make it back, I will certainly remember Gatens and May as being two critical pieces of our return to glory, however.

A lot of people will.

That doesnt change the fact that they got an insane amount of criticism on here by a lot of idiot posters.

Of course. My comment was not at all directed at May or Gatens, who I've always supported.

It was directed at the Johnny-come-latelies who aren't even aware that they absorbed a huge amount of fan abuse and who now act like they have always been everybody's favorite players.

If people *cough*BasketballMan*cough* aren't smart enough to understand that my comment was critical of fans who didn't like Gatens and May in the first place...well, that's their problem, not mine.

Irony's a tough concept to grasp, I guess.

Of course. My comment was not at all directed at May or Gatens, who I've always supported.

It was directed at the Johnny-come-latelies who aren't even aware that they absorbed a huge amount of fan abuse and who now act like they have always been everybody's favorite players.

If people *cough*BasketballMan*cough* aren't smart enough to understand that my comment was critical of fans who didn't like Gatens and May in the first place...well, that's their problem, not mine.

Irony's a tough concept to grasp, I guess.

Ah, BasketballMan. The guy who kept calling RDM a ball-hog throughout the NIT. LOL

Just curious. Would you call the amount of criticism that JO receives "insane"?

Without a doubt, both in the amount of criticism and the validity of the criticism. He became Iowa's whipping boy on here last season for pretty much all of Iowa's shooting woes.

The same type of comments were directed at Gatens when he struggled his sophomore and junior years. Then when he puts it all together his senior season he becomes everybody's favorite Hawk and a catalyst for the return of the program.

Without a doubt, both in the amount of criticism and the validity of the criticism. He became Iowa's whipping boy on here last season for pretty much all of Iowa's shooting woes.

The same type of comments were directed at Gatens when he struggled his sophomore and junior years. Then when he puts it all together his senior season he becomes everybody's favorite Hawk and a catalyst for the return of the program.

The thing about Oglesby is that he is on a razor-edge from being a fan favorite. If he hits 40% of his threes, his scoring average goes up to 9 ppg (based on last year's scoring average) and he's everyone's Will Sheehey. This could easily happen by the end of his career.

Betting against sophomore Oglesby is the ultimate sucker's bet. The tools are there; when he starts to put them together he'll get the keys to University Heights.

The thing about Oglesby is that he is on a razor-edge from being a fan favorite. If he hits 40% of his threes, his scoring average goes up to 9 ppg (based on last year's scoring average) and he's everyone's Will Sheehey. This could easily happen by the end of his career.

Betting against sophomore Oglesby is the ultimate sucker's bet. The tools are there; when he starts to put them together he'll get the keys to University Heights.

Yup, could not agree more.

A lot of people will.

That doesnt change the fact that they got an insane amount of criticism on here by a lot of idiot posters.

They played much better their senior seasons than they did prior. Opinions are bound to change, don't you think? Same thing goes for Oglesby.. If he starts shooting the ball well, he will redeem himself with many of the fans that are criticizing his current shooting. It doesn't mean the current criticism is not valid IMO.

Gatens was unfairly criticized, but May deserved it. He was very bad the previous year.

I think you are late to the basketball party if you think May is anything special. Sorry boys, he's a run-of-the-mill below average Big Ten player.

As to this "You think these NIT appearances are a positive," that doesn't make any sense. The NIT appearances are a positive because of where Iowa has been recently. It's like suggesting Iowa's Alamo Bowl victory in 2001 wasn't a big deal, because Iowa has been to Rose Bowls in the past.

They played much better their senior seasons than they did prior. Opinions are bound to change, don't you think? Same thing goes for Oglesby.. If he starts shooting the ball well, he will redeem himself with many of the fans that are criticizing his current shooting. It doesn't mean the current criticism is not valid IMO.

This is perfect, except I thought Gatens was pretty good all four years.

Im not saying you cant criticize. But to hammer on a kid for 2 or 3 years then turn around and say that he is one of the greatest Hawks of all time is hypocritical at best and completely moronic at worst.

Let the kid develop and improve before everybody writes him off for his entire career.

Im not saying you cant criticize. But to hammer on a kid for 2 or 3 years then turn around and say that he is one of the greatest Hawks of all time is hypocritical at best and completely moronic at worst.

Let the kid develop and improve before everybody writes him off for his entire career.

I understand what you are saying, but I don't think there were many here that criticized Gatens, May, or Oglesby personally. They made the observation that their play was not very good. And it wasn't. Then when they began (at least 2 of them) to play much better they gave credit where due. I don't see anything wrong with that.

And I apologize for hi-jacking this thread. It was pretty entertaining before I ruined it.:(
Sorry, Grape.

Latest posts