You Know The Iowa Athletic Dept. Messed Up When....................

to be completely honest, the U of I is in that place now and to outside recruits (even one's father in our own state who probably follow the Hawks closer than most) that may be African American and considering Iowa - you now see this RUSH of support for a guy who was just suspended for making a "racist" comment. If you're a black athlete and have options, why would you pick Iowa right now? This is the cluster F that the Gary Barta has created.

Certainly. But I was also being hard on Fran and even made comments that this was being orchestrated by "Fran and Margie". I was flat-out wrong. Even if they disagree with what Dolph said, injecting themselves into it would be foolish. If they "forgive" Doloh or push for him NOT to be suspended it might look bad. If they push for him to be gone altogether, they risk offending or hacking off folks in the football side of things who might wholeheartedly support Dolph.

In essence, Hawkeye Sports Properties and the U of I have botched this miserably.

I think what Hawkfnntn was referring to is that I am in the bowels of Iowa City and the university and he was pointing out even being in these circles, there still isn't anybody siding with Iowa on this. This is just strange living amongst the tree huggers and all the civil rights activists. I have not talked with one person who thinks the university is right in this. NOT ONE.
I don’t think it’s that strange.

Penn State administration protected a pedophile homosexual rapist.

Michigan State administration looked past a pedophile heterosexual rapist.

There are many others examples.

It’s human nature to circle the wagons around an organization that helps you get yours.

I don’t think it’s that strange.

Penn State administration protected a pedophile homosexual rapist.

Michigan State administration looked past a pedophile heterosexual rapist.

There are many others examples.

It’s human nature to circle the wagons around an organization that helps you get yours.

You are completely missing the entire point. Did you even read it? By your response I don't think you are.

After seeing the tweet from a recruit's father in another thread, it's pretty clear Fran is between a rock and a hard place. His only recourse is to try being invisible in a highly visible job. Not easy to do

Not necessarily. He could always answer a reporter's question with..."I'm sure Dolph feels bad about what he said and I'm also pretty sure he meant nothing harmful by it.. I know him and he's a stand up guy, not a racist because that wouldn't be tolerated at the U of Iowa. That's not how we do things here. But you have to be aware of what you're saying and how it might come across or affect people. I'm sure he'll take responsibility for his mistake".

Can we please stop saying he is a great fundraiser as well? He is riding the BTN cash cow, of which he has 0% to do with

He has been riding the BTN cash cow for 5-6 years but he did raise a lot of money for stadium and other improvements before BTN.

I just dont think Barta produces coaches who win championships. I would love to see both Bball programs and wrestling prove me wrong this year. Maybe even gymnastics and swimming and diving .

Does anyone have proof yet that it was Barta or Fran who complained about this recent king kong audio? I am sort of neutral on Dolph and I have heard paul burmeister call games and he is a pretty good and and ex hawk.

He has been riding the BTN cash cow for 5-6 years but he did raise a lot of money for stadium and other improvements before BTN.

I just dont think Barta produces coaches who win championships. I would love to see both Bball programs and wrestling prove me wrong this year. Maybe even gymnastics and swimming and diving .

Does anyone have proof yet that it was Barta or Fran who complained about this recent king kong audio? I am sort of neutral on Dolph and I have heard paul burmeister call games and he is a pretty good and and ex hawk.

I tried to look it up the other day but could not find. I remember there used to be a site ranking the BIG AD's and Barta was always last or close to it. I know he's 2nd to last in salary, and deservingly so.

to be completely honest, the U of I is in that place now and to outside recruits (even one's father in our own state who probably follow the Hawks closer than most) that may be African American and considering Iowa - you now see this RUSH of support for a guy who was just suspended for making a "racist" comment. If you're a black athlete and have options, why would you pick Iowa right now? This is the cluster F that the Gary Barta has created.

What evidence is out there that Barta did this? I am just asking you and others because I havent heard Barta demanded this or brought it up.

I'm sure it is presumed as Barta has keys to the bus.

That is not even close to evidence as anyone could have sent this email or made a phone call or however the complaint was registered. I read in the last two days that someone sent an email to someone, probably to Learfield.

But it doesnt have to be Barta or anyone high up in the UI admin. It could have been any of a thousand listeners.

Listen, Dolph apologized in that written statement (at least we think Dolph apologized as I cant remember any quotations in the statement). Dolph said it was wrong or not a good thing for him to say and made mention of unconscious bia. I think it would be hard for him to sue anyone if that is what he really thinks after the fact.

I said in another thread that when someone says something even boarderline politically incorrect, it ends up all over social media. There is an immediate outcry all over. What Dolph said got one email. You know how hard it is to compare a black man to anything in 2019 and only get one complaint? A 5 year old calling someone a poopyface on the playground would get more complaints than Dolph did.

That is not even close to evidence as anyone could have sent this email or made a phone call or however the complaint was registered. I read in the last two days that someone sent an email to someone, probably to Learfield.

But it doesnt have to be Barta or anyone high up in the UI admin. It could have been any of a thousand listeners.

I've never took it that people are insinuating that Barta sent the email. Just that he is the one who turned one email into what we have now. Maybe I'm wrong and people think he sent it. I guess I'm not sure.

All things IOWA athletics run through the AD's office and it's his job to manage them...both privately and publicly. There's ample evidence that he's failed miserably at both.

Last edited:
Not necessarily. He could always answer a reporter's question with..."I'm sure Dolph feels bad about what he said and I'm also pretty sure he meant nothing harmful by it.. I know him and he's a stand up guy, not a racist because that wouldn't be tolerated at the U of Iowa. That's not how we do things here. But you have to be aware of what you're saying and how it might come across or affect people. I'm sure he'll take responsibility for his mistake".

And thus we are removed from the list of some recruits...