You guys remember Steve Alford?

okeefe4prez

That guy had a monster class coming in and you ran him out of town. He left the cupboard full with pretty decent talent and that has now all left town. As one of the few people who genuinely wanted Coach Alford to stay, let me say that I am kind of happy with how bad the basketball program is right now and that you guys deserve this taste of medicine you've been given. We're totally back now, but let this little run of mediocrity remind you to treat our coaches with respect.

Knock it off Steve! You were average at best and you made your own bed so quit ********.
I'd take FM any day with a worse record rather than have a pompous *** idi*t representing us around the country.

That guy had a monster class coming in and you ran him out of town. He left the cupboard full with pretty decent talent and that has now all left town. As one of the few people who genuinely wanted Coach Alford to stay, let me say that I am kind of happy with how bad the basketball program is right now and that you guys deserve this taste of medicine you've been given. We're totally back now, but let this little run of mediocrity remind you to treat our coaches with respect.

In retrospect I think most would agree that running him out of town wasn't a good move.

I would still run Alf off, even know what followed. The only mistake Barta made was not firing him and letting him slink off to New Mexico under his own power.

/troll thread

I would still run Alf off, even know what followed. The only mistake Barta made was not firing him and letting him slink off to New Mexico under his own power.

Oh yeah, triggering the buyout so we could have deferred necessary facilities upgrades even further would have been brilliant. If the University would have kept up with the Joneses in terms of facilities and kept Alford happy, we would have a consistent 20+ win program today.

1 NCAA win in 8 yrs as Iowa's head coach. Lost to a 14 seed as a 3. Public relations disaster. 1 NCAA 4 yrs as NM coach. Quick, bring him back and offer him a lifetime $100,000,000 contract! Now!

I guess that's a matter of opinion as to whether Barta ran off Alford, or if Barta ran off Alford because the fans (and likely also those who had more clout) were growing restless. Either way, it was BARTA that ran Alford out of town. If our AD listens to the whims of the fans, then I guess our AD doesn't have much of a spine. But I love how the fact that Barta told Alford that more was expected in the next couple of years, triggering Alford to take the NM job, and that is heaped on the fans as running SA out of town.

Lick made Alford look like John Wooden, but let's make no mistake - the Alford era was a disappointment. 17-14 records, 1st round NIT exits, etc. Yay!

Glad he was gone, the program was in decline, Iowa hired the wrong guy...think Iowa would be a little better off today if they would have made a McCaffery type after boy wonder.

1 NCAA win in 8 yrs as Iowa's head coach. Lost to a 14 seed as a 3. Public relations disaster. 1 NCAA 4 yrs as NM coach. Quick, bring him back and offer him a lifetime $100,000,000 contract! Now!

Lute had a 2 seed lose to a 15 at Arizona. If that had happened to him in Iowa City, the guy would have needed 24 hour security for a decade. Upsets happen, chief. You guys ran off Lute and Alford and you deserve this painful period. Sucks that I have to go through it, too, but I take joy out of your agony.

Oh yeah, triggering the buyout so we could have deferred necessary facilities upgrades even further would have been brilliant. If the University would have kept up with the Joneses in terms of facilities and kept Alford happy, we would have a consistent 20+ win program today.

The buy out would have purchased a lot of closure for the Hawks, and kept Alf from running his mouth on the way out of town. It would have been money well spent.

2nd to last season a 2nd place finish, the only coach to go undefeated to date in Carver
last season 4th place finish, Michigan finished 7th and got in the NCAA Iowa didn't
Dean Smith, Gene Keady and the Kentucky AD who once defended his stance on playing Iowa as they had nothing to prove by playing Iowa
coincidence they got shut out while a 7th place Michigan got in, i doubt it
say what you will about Beas Hamga career is going, but at the time he was a 5* center, Robbie Hummel was a strong Iowa lean til Alford left, Peterson was from DeMatha HS in Maryland, and if i recall alot of Iowa fans wanted him back this year
Tony Freeman was a good point guard that got ran off by Lick
Who gives a rip if a coach is a *** as long as he recruits good players and win that is all that matters
one other thing he lost Horner, Brunner and Haluska to graduation off that 2nd place team that lost on a last 2nd miracle shot
get over it upsets happen, even Kansas has lost in the 1st round
the so called bare cupboard was of Licks on doing
running off players, he had a chance to bring his best recruit with him but told him to stay at Butler Hamgas was willing to honor his commitment, but Lick told him he didn't want him
how many coaches turn away a 4* and 5* recruit
only a idiot like Lick would
5* center and a 4* PF

If there were regrets with the handling of past coaches it would be with that of Davis not Alford.

Latest posts