YOU CAN'T STOP HIM! chant

UrbandaleHawk01

Someone who watched on TV can probably tell me - were you able to hear the chant the student section got going during, I think, the 2nd quarter re: Gatens? It was very cool. Bobo was just beside himself over there near Wisconsin's bench as Gatens was en fuego. Student section was huge last night.

Someone who watched on TV can probably tell me - were you able to hear the chant the student section got going during, I think, the 2nd quarter re: Gatens? It was very cool. Bobo was just beside himself over there near Wisconsin's bench as Gatens was en fuego. Student section was huge last night.

I could hear the "you cant stop him" chant very clear on the TV. Very clever IMO. Also could hear the "overrated" chant sometime in the 1st half, which is just ridiculous.

Chanting "overrated" seems to diminish what the team just accomplished. Its like saying "we just beat you, but you arent as good as everyone thinks". Saying it in the 1st half is borderline idiotic.

It was very cool to hear live and in person. Nice job by the students all the way around. We need more of that.

I agree that Over Rated is one of the dumbest things ever spoken aloud in an arena.

I could hear the "you cant stop him" chant very clear on the TV. Very clever IMO. Also could hear the "overrated" chant sometime in the 1st half, which is just ridiculous.

Chanting "overrated" seems to diminish what the team just accomplished. Its like saying "we just beat you, but you arent as good as everyone thinks". Saying it in the 1st half is borderline idiotic.

I don't remember the overrated chant. Maybe I was just too into the game to hear what was going on around me.

Agreed. Rushing the court was also a little much. I guess I condone it somewhat as this is the first time Iowa has swept Wisconsin in basketball in 17 years.

Wow, have students been away from Iowa basketball for so long that they forgot that college basketball is played in halves and not quarters? Just messing around of course.

Yes, you could clearly hear the "you can't stop him!" chant. Very cool. I too hate the overrated chant though.

Agreed. Rushing the court was also a little much. I guess I condone it somewhat as this is the first time Iowa has swept Wisconsin in basketball in 17 years.

I loved the rushing of the court. Top 15 team at home in a game that this team absolutely needed to win in order to keep dreaming of getting back to the NCAA tourney for the first time in 6 years. This program needs wins like last night in order to bring back the fanbase and re-energize a whole new group of Hawkeyes that havent seen any type of sustained success from the basketball program.

Students that were at the game last night were between the ages of 7 and 11 the last time the Hawks won a game in the NCAA tournament. This was a big win for the program.

I hate the overrated chant. Maybe the only time it's appropriate is the final game of season and you are ranked #2 blowing out the #1 team and it's the final minute of game? Lol

I hate the overrated chant. Maybe the only time it's appropriate is the final game of season and you are ranked #2 blowing out the #1 team and it's the final minute of game? Lol

Texas students were doing that to Baylor in the first half of their game this week. Guess what, Baylor won.

As for rushing the court, I'm glad the students were excited last night and hope they show up just as strong for the finale against Northwestern. Hopefully in the next couple years a win over the 15th ranked team at home will be expected and they won't feel the need to rush the court.

Gatens is just in another world right now. The chant was awesome.

I was too busy doing the "gater" chomp (TM) to hear what was going on... BTW Oglesby is the one of the worst starters in the B1G...

I also didn't hear the overrated chant live in person... Selective hearing maybe

I was too busy doing the "gater" chomp (TM) to hear what was going on... BTW Oglesby is the one of the worst starters in the B1G...

I also didn't hear the overrated chant live in person... Selective hearing maybe

Oglesby is a freshman forced into a starting role because of Cartwright's injury and our lack of depth at the guard spot. Both he and McCabe seem to have lost their confidence, although McCabe hit two 3's last night. Oglesby seems to be pressing--not taking open shots, then jacking up deep 3's early in the shot clock. We need both of them to step up to take some pressure off Gatens.

Yeah, the chant was very clear.

The "overrated" chant is the stupidest thing you can chant. Why not "we just beat you"?

Oglesby is NOT good on defense, but like hoops said, he's a freshman and is getting valuable experience. He's going to be a solid player.

Great job by everyone involved last night, players, coaches, fans. Three winnable (sp?) games remaining.

Yeah, the chant was very clear.

The "overrated" chant is the stupidest thing you can chant. Why not "we just beat you"?

Oglesby is NOT good on defense, but like hoops said, he's a freshman and is getting valuable experience. He's going to be a solid player.

Great job by everyone involved last night, players, coaches, fans. Three winnable (sp?) games remaining.

it was "very clear" to the point where you thought "hawk-eye na-tion" sounded liked "overrated"??????

Over rated was cool and funny the first few times I heard it. Now it's very stale.
The "You can't stop him" chant was genius!!

Oglesby is a freshman forced into a starting role because of Cartwright's injury and our lack of depth at the guard spot. Both he and McCabe seem to have lost their confidence, although McCabe hit two 3's last night. Oglesby seems to be pressing--not taking open shots, then jacking up deep 3's early in the shot clock. We need both of them to step up to take some pressure off Gatens.

Agree with you all the way around but still haven't seen enough to warrant high expectations on my end next year. Depending how the newbies look next year I could see Oglesby getting less than 15 minutes a game...

Absolutely agree with this statement. Chanting "overrated" is a backhanded (unintended of course) insult to the winning team. Doing it in the first half is just dumb. Why give a team an excuse to get fired up?

Sure sounded like over rated where I was sitting. Granted, I was almost half way around the bowl from the student section.

I was in the student section. I was also yelling at the dumb students getting ready to rush the court when were up 5 about to miss a 1 and 1 and then up only by 3. I thought they were going to jinx us.

Latest posts