You can thank me later

bitmap

I traveled Monday down to central Missouri to view the eclipse. Seizing on the opportunity I carried my 2017 game day tee shirt w/ me. I also wore my 2009 game day shirt. Astrophysics being what they are I wanted to use the Solar Lunar Terran conduit to transfer the 2009 shirt's mojo to this season's new, unworn shirt. The 2009 shirt was worn for every game in 2015 but it is getting kind of old and thread bare.

One of my buddies from the Lab here traveled w/ me. We are both storm chasers so we transformed into eclipse chasers. Same thing except you need to find the spot where there isn't any weather. He is a huge Hawkeye fan as well.

After getting all of our gear setup the Moon slowly ate the Sun. It was spectacular as totality was reached. We saw the diamond ring, then Bailey's beads and then the corona exploded from behind the black hole in the sky. I dropped the filter off of my video recorder then grabbed another camera I had set up for mojo transfer. I dropped to the ground and got inline with the new shirt, the Moon and the Sun and the task was done as the mojo flowed into the new shirt.

After the Sun reappeared I carefully folded up the new shirt. I will put it on for the first time right before the Wyoming game. It will be worn for every game this season.

Thanks! It's the least I could do.

dscf0314.jpg

eclipse.gif

In your cosmic journey, did you feel the alignment speak to you, portending 13-0?

In all seriousness, that is pretty damn cool what you captured on vid. Thank you for sharing.

Awesome!!
We got to see some Shadow Bands in Wyoming. Had no clue what they were at the time, but it was freaky.

I traveled Monday down to central Missouri to view the eclipse. Seizing on the opportunity I carried my 2017 game day tee shirt w/ me. I also wore my 2009 game day shirt. Astrophysics being what they are I wanted to use the Solar Lunar Terran conduit to transfer the 2009 shirt's mojo to this season's new, unworn shirt. The 2009 shirt was worn for every game in 2015 but it is getting kind of old and thread bare.

One of my buddies from the Lab here traveled w/ me. We are both storm chasers so we transformed into eclipse chasers. Same thing except you need to find the spot where there isn't any weather. He is a huge Hawkeye fan as well.

After getting all of our gear setup the Moon slowly ate the Sun. It was spectacular as totality was reached. We saw the diamond ring, then Bailey's beads and then the corona exploded from behind the black hole in the sky. I dropped the filter off of my video recorder then grabbed another camera I had set up for mojo transfer. I dropped to the ground and got inline with the new shirt, the Moon and the Sun and the task was done as the mojo flowed into the new shirt.

After the Sun reappeared I carefully folded up the new shirt. I will put it on for the first time right before the Wyoming game. It will be worn for every game this season.

Thanks! It's the least I could do.

dscf0314.jpg

eclipse.gif
The neighborhood I live in that is in the KC metro area had 33 seconds of total eclipse. The area of town I work in was not in the full eclipse zone. So I traveled 20 minutes from the office back to my neighborhood.

The sun, several minutes before the zero hour, was completely obscured by the clouds. I saw nothing of the sun. I just saw it get completely dark for 33 seconds and then it looked like 8:00 am in the morning after that 30 seconds.

I was shafted beyond belief. I live right in the path of the total eclipse, and the area of town I chose to go to in order to view it in its totality was completely overcast, while other areas of town were good to view. And there was really no way to know which areas might be good. I got the impression about three fourths of the metro area was in my shoes, but that was small consolation. Then on radio I heard from some talking heads that had a perfect view and they were simply awestruck, to put it mildly. So that didn't help my mood much, either.

But it wasn't like my dog died, or something really bad. Still...

The neighborhood I live in that is in the KC metro area had 33 seconds of total eclipse. ... Then on radio I heard from some talking heads that had a perfect view and they were simply awestruck, to put it mildly. So that didn't help my mood much, either.

But it wasn't like my dog died, or something really bad. Still...
Don't despair T. I had to wait 38 years after the rain out in Idaho in 1979. I was a senior in high school and my experience then was much like yours - total overcast, rain and snow and then it got dark as night for a minute. The streetlights came on and then off and back to gray again. Pretty disappointing. Saw the Eclipse on the evening news that night. I planned on seeing it in the distant future of 2017 in our living room that evening. About 7 years ago I saw something on the Internet and realized that the path was going to pass right through Columbia MO. I talked to the head of the city's parks and recreation department while audio engineering their 4th of July concert in Memorial stadium. Don't think she got it - they could have been eclipse central. I kicked in my plan and practiced photography on the two partial eclipses a few years ago. Put in for the day off the first week of January this year. I picked a spot out coming back from another audio engineering gig between Fulton and Holts Summit on the centerline a month ago. That changed when I realized that traffic was going to be bad and moved it to the airport in Fulton. The weather looked like it was going to be an issue late last week and using all the forecast tools and historical data I came up w/ alternates from Lincoln to Carbondale. It looked like Drake, just East of Jefferson City was likely to have the clearest sky for the eclipse Saturday night. Some models had Boonevile looking likely. Using our storm chasing experience helped w/ the logistics. We left the Iowa City area early Monday morning in the rain and we had check points along the way where we evaluated which of the 3 directions we needed to go based on forecasts. We had chaser friends in the West who told us they had decided to start heading East from the St. Joe area. In the end we ended up in Fulton per the original plan. After the drooling stopped we headed back to Iowa. Had to drive about 30 miles on gravel roads to get around the traffic jams. Didn't even know what I had on my cameras until I got home. Never bothered to look at what I was capturing. Pretty exciting when I saw the video.

Only 7 more years until the next one in the U.S. Already planning for it. My buddies and I are going to try to catch it somewhere down in Texas in 2024. Path is going to cross this year's path @ Carbondale. We are going to be agile and I will transfer the mojo again if needed.

gettingReady.JPG

DSC_3670.JPG
DSC_3691.JPG

Awesome story and thanks. I hope the shirt mojo comes to fruition.

On a side note, I didn't see shit in North Liberty.

bitmap - Your top photo would make Homer Simpson happy - it looks like a giant glazed donut. Not sure that is the correct astronomical description, but it should be.

Latest posts