YO, Fran...wake the f*** up

Looks like your detractors have changed the argument on you.

Or they think failing to get a few good ones is the same as not knowing the importance of PGs.

Do you?
And are you giving Fran a pass because he’s tried but failed?

We have landed some PGs that just didn't end up the right fit or didn't end up playing at the level we need. Gessel was supposed to be better than he was, Clemmons was limited, Dickerson didn't work out here, hell having Williams would be better than Ellingson at this point. I don't disagree that it is the key component we're missing. It's obvious is my point, and to think Fran doesnt know or realize it is far fetched.

The rumor, for what it's worth, on Locure, is that the staff has concerns regarding his personality and demeanor. Fran places a high emphasis on character, so I guess we'll see.

In terms of PGs, Fran simply has a bad track record recruiting them. It's not lack of effort; for all his drawbacks, recruiting laziness is not one of them. Fran pounds the pavement with the best of them. At the end of the day, though, his failures to get quick perimeter players are what they are - his failures.

Right now, the staff is aggressively pursuing Carton and Tyrell Terry, but it's hard to imagine either ending up at Iowa at this point. Connor better be a saving grace, or it could get ugly (more ugly that is) for Fran the next two seasons.

The rumor, for what it's worth, on Locure, is that the staff has concerns regarding his personality and demeanor. Fran places a high emphasis on character, so I guess we'll see.

In terms of PGs, Fran simply has a bad track record recruiting them. It's not lack of effort; for all his drawbacks, recruiting laziness is not one of them. Fran pounds the pavement with the best of them. At the end of the day, though, his failures to get quick perimeter players are what they are - his failures.

Right now, the staff is aggressively pursuing Carton and Tyrell Terry, but it's hard to imagine either ending up at Iowa at this point. Connor better be a saving grace, or it could get ugly (more ugly that is) for Fran the next two seasons.

I really don't understand all of this hope put on Connor. He will be an average PART-TIME basketball player. Smart player but limited. And trying to do both sports will only hinder his success at both. My gut sez he eventually settles on baseball.

IF Barta extends Fran. Done deal??

I really don't understand all of this hope put on Connor. He will be an average PART-TIME basketball player. Smart player but limited. And trying to do both sports will only hinder his success at both. My gut sez he eventually settles on baseball.

IF Barta extends Fran. Done deal??
I've never seen anything special there either. He's got some game, but his skill set doesn't really meet what this team needs right now, that is, quickness, penetrating ability and lock-down defense. If Fran can't sign Carton or Terry, my guess is he'll be forced to scramble or go the JUCO route.

It's almost as if everyone but Fran saw this coming. In this day and age, you can't be consistently effective with a roster almost exclusively made up of tweeners.

I see some are still riding that nearly landed Tyler Ulis train :rolleyes:

and Moore. Fran walked away from him for reasons not really made known, but were reported as "the right reasons". I think many folks are guilty of some revisionist history here. Fran walked into a situation where he had little talent and zero depth. he was able to bring in Cartwright right away who was a servicable pg that first year. Then Fran did what everyone on this board wanted. He brought in Mike Gesell. No one complained about this. MG (and Sapp) were our pg's through the 2015 season. We missed on Tyler Ulis because of a pg de-commit at UK and we walked away from Moore "for the right reasons". But somehow, Fran doesn't understand that we need a pg? This board is hilarious, at times.

Easy there, Mad Dog. Your petty bitterness is clouding your thoughts and lashing out. You should probably take a break from Iowa sports for a bit.
I wasn't inferring that quickness doesnt matter. I was pointing out that, for all Wooden's talk, he obviously understood that size matters as well. Spud Webb was quicker than Shaq, but I'd rather build my roster around Shaq than Spud.

You should write news copy, you're great at flavoring things to bias the reader. "Petty bitterness"... how about stating a painfully obvious observation that many others are making...Fran routinely comes up short when it comes to a key part of his teams.

You're right about Wooden, he obviously knew the value of those big men. They were key to his best teams. We have what may be the best group of bigs yet under Fran. But without ball handlers to go with them...well, we're seeing the result. Again

As for taking a break from Iowa sports...I think Fran is taking care of that for a lot of people on the basketball side.

and Moore. Fran walked away from him for reasons not really made known, but were reported as "the right reasons". I think many folks are guilty of some revisionist history here. Fran walked into a situation where he had little talent and zero depth. he was able to bring in Cartwright right away who was a servicable pg that first year. Then Fran did what everyone on this board wanted. He brought in Mike Gesell. No one complained about this. MG (and Sapp) were our pg's through the 2015 season. We missed on Tyler Ulis because of a pg de-commit at UK and we walked away from Moore "for the right reasons". But somehow, Fran doesn't understand that we need a pg? This board is hilarious, at times.
Fran has tried, but as a coach, you can't put all your eggs in one or two baskets, then give up when it doesn't work out, and sign yet another wing player. You have to continually look 2-3 years ahead and see where your roster deficiencies are going to be and recruit accordingly.

Fran is a tireless recruiter, which makes it even more perplexing that he couldn't uncover other PG prospects the last two cycles. I've watched quite a bit of basketball this year, even many "lower tier" teams, and saw several PGs that would have looked good in a Hawkeye uniform.

Fran has tried, but as a coach, you can't put all your eggs in one or two baskets, then give up when it doesn't work out, and sign yet another wing player. You have to continually look 2-3 years ahead and see where your roster deficiencies are going to be and recruit accordingly.

Fran is a tireless recruiter, which makes it even more perplexing that he couldn't uncover other PG prospects the last two cycles. I've watched quite a bit of basketball this year, even many "lower tier" teams, and saw several PGs that would have looked good in a Hawkeye uniform.

DH, i don't disagree with you. it would be interesting to know if the entrance standards in non P5 schools are different than B1G standards.

I think what is missed is that he has the pt guard he wants. That guy has been out.

DH, i don't disagree with you. it would be interesting to know if the entrance standards in non P5 schools are different than B1G standards.
Hard to say, but the B1G standards aren't exactly Ivy League either. It's hard to believe that there wasn't several players that were good defenders and distributors available for sholly offers.

Fran knew all along that Connor may not even play this season, focusing instead on baseball. Combine that with Bohannon's deficiencies, and it still doesn't make much sense that he didn't balance out the roster better.

He ran off the one guy with the potential to do it. The only one. Didnt say he was ready but the potential was there.

This was the plan all along.

Hard to say, but the B1G standards aren't exactly Ivy League either. It's hard to believe that there wasn't several players that were good defenders and distributors available for sholly offers.

there has to be something to the idea that Conner is scaring some off. That is just an obvious and human-natured way of thinking. so, Conner needs to live up to the standard or Fran needs to make sure it is known wide and far that Conner is not a pg. he doesn't need to do that publicly, but would need to do so by action and with future recruits.

He ran off the one guy with the potential to do it. The only one. Didnt say he was ready but the potential was there.

This was the plan all along.
absence of evidence = Psychological projection?

absence of evidence = Psychological projection?

Christian Williams may well have become unhappy with his situation at Iowa but that doesn't equate with Fran running him off. Connor strikes me as a hard working two sport athlete who made the decision to play initially on his own which Fran has said all along he wanted Connor to make independently and not worry about his program. And I think for as long as he chooses to play we will only have him as a part time player because I see him excelling at baseball. He will help us if he comes back after the mono and absorbs some point guard minutes giving Bohannon some rest and an opportunity to play off the ball. But he doesn't represent the answer at point and Fran has himself in a real pickle.

Christian Williams may well have become unhappy with his situation at Iowa but that doesn't equate with Fran running him off. Connor strikes me as a hard working two sport athlete who made the decision to play initially on his own which Fran has said all along he wanted Connor to make independently and not worry about his program. And I think for as long as he chooses to play we will only have him as a part time player because I see him excelling at baseball. He will help us if he comes back after the mono and absorbs some point guard minutes giving Bohannon some rest and an opportunity to play off the ball. But he doesn't represent the answer at point and Fran has himself in a real pickle.
Yes you’re right. It’s one thing to criticize based on what we see.
Fran’s clock and game management: meh to bad.
Fran’s lack of pt. guard recruiting: mixed to bad.

But to rip on Fran’s motives for “running off” Williams. That poster is projecting his own motives on Fran since there’s no evidence that Fran did that.

Yes you’re right. It’s one thing to criticize based on what we see.
Fran’s clock and game management: meh to bad.
Fran’s lack of pt. guard recruiting: mixed to bad.

But to rip on Fran’s motives for “running off” Williams. That poster is projecting his own motives on Fran since there’s no evidence that Fran did that.

Put another way. You are struggling with playing time and the coaches son who will play your position is coming in. Call it what you want. I personslly thought Williams had a lot of upside.

What amazes me in an era that sees Crazy things happen that arent as they seem that something as trivial as this is to be taken exactly at face value. Next thing ya know is a coach will hire their inexperienced kid as an OC or a player that starts in the NFL wasnt good enough to beat out a struggling guy. What s crazy world that eill be?

Ho ahead and believe Iowa cant get a pt guard if it makes you feel better. After sll we are Iowa.

Where would you rank Iowa at the 1 position in the Big?

What team has a lesser 1 problem? Rutgers? Huskers? IL? NW? TARKIO? Wm Jewell? Augustana? SD?

Put another way. You are struggling with playing time and the coaches son who will play your position is coming in. Call it what you want. I personslly thought Williams had a lot of upside.

What amazes me in an era that sees Crazy things happen that arent as they seem that something as trivial as this is to be taken exactly at face value. Next thing ya know is a coach will hire their inexperienced kid as an OC or a player that starts in the NFL wasnt good enough to beat out a struggling guy. What s crazy world that eill be?

Ho ahead and believe Iowa cant get a pt guard if it makes you feel better. After sll we are Iowa.

Where would you rank Iowa at the 1 position in the Big?

What team has a lesser 1 problem? Rutgers? Huskers? IL? NW? TARKIO? Wm Jewell? Augustana? SD?

Williams upside was that he was a 6-5 point guard. Other than that, the guy was a liability. Maybe a little better defender than what we have now on the team but he was lost on offense. He was not this teams savior

Williams upside was that he was a 6-5 point guard. Other than that, the guy was a liability. Maybe a little better defender than what we have now on the team but he was lost on offense. He was not this teams savior
Interestingly Uhl,Wagner, Wikliams all showed promise.

Latest posts