Yet another Gesell & Woodbury thread...

dmShortSaledude

It bothers me that I am slightly "edgy" in the recruitment of these two fine prospects. I do not feel the future of Iowa basketball's return to the top hinges on these two, but it certainly would boost that in a hurry.

What bothers me is that, if you were Adam or Mike why wouldn't you have committed already? Your early committment to the Hawkeyes would be a huge boost in the recruitment of other players, who would be your future teammates. Thus, the earlier you commit, the higher the talent you could help bring to the team. Making a better team for you down the road...

Maybe I am all wrong on that thinking, but I would compare it to when Jake Christensen recruited players to the team. I am not that big of a fan in naming JC, but he did help bring in a ton of talent in that injury filled group.

There is still plenty of time to nab those higher profile recruits, but the sooner Mike & Adam commit, the better their team will be in the future, at least IMHO... Or am I wrong in thinking that???

Maybe they haven't committed cause it's Iowa, and they've gotten looked at by far better programs.

Would you take a $5 bill now that will still be there no matter what, or wait to be offered the $50 that has a very real chance of being available?

Reasonable possibilities:

1. They are enjoying the recruiting process
2. They've already eliminated Iowa and are just stringing us along (unlikely, but not unreasonable)
3. Maybe they just haven't decided one way or another. That's usually a good reason not to commit to a school.

Come to Iowa young Mr. Gesell and bring whomever you think will help you be the best. We are aiming high and have alot of room for success and we want YOU to be a part of that special time. You'll look great in Black and Gold!

Remember ... these are kids ... Why wouldn't you take the opportunity to enjoy campus visits and having coaches call you, etc.? I say enjoy it. Take your visits ... See other parts of the country .. Experience life outside of Iowa ... And then, after you have made your visits after you feel settled, then make your decision. As Hawk fans, sure we want to see them commit to the Hawks but I would encourage them to enjoy what very few athletes have the opportunity to do ... I love college sports and I am just as interested in recruiting as the next guy, but we will always gain/lose recruits so getting caught up in any one kid is something I no longer do ... Sure, they would be nice additions for the Hawks ... But, I won't sleep if they decide to take their talents outside the state. That is the name of the game in recruiting ... Fran's job is to fill the roster ...

Would you take a $5 bill now that will still be there no matter what, or wait to be offered the $50 that has a very real chance of being available?

Gesell probably won't have any better offers.

Woodbury maybe but these guys have played in so many tournaments that if they aren't offered now by some schools, they probably won't be unless the other schools miss on other recruits.

Gesell probably won't have any better offers.

Woodbury maybe but these guys have played in so many tournaments that if they aren't offered now by some schools, they probably won't be unless the other schools miss on other recruits.

Gesell already has some good offers. At the moment, some are better than Iowa, but in the Future, they will not be. Fran will get the job done.

Woodbury could be a backup offer for some other top programs. Maybe he is waiting for that....

Hopefully they are just enjoying the recruiting process and are going to pull the trigger soon. One thing is a sure thing, Time will tell...

Seems to me that they are really enjoying the national attention, basking in the temporary glory. I don't blame them a bit. If Woodbury doesn't get offers from NC and/or Kansas, he will probably be a Hawkeye. Even if he does get the offers, there is a good chance he will break the trend and become a Hawkeye, following Josh Oglesby to the Promised Land.

Gesell: Iowa, Iowa State, Drake, UNI, Nebraska, Stanford, Utah, Creighton.

Woodbury: Iowa, Cal, Minnesota, Nebraska,Ohio State, Stanford, Virginia, Wisconsin, Xavier.

Gesell seems to fit the profile McCaffrey has established and Woodbury, at least based on this list, would be a next level player. I think both these dudes have ~ 3.8 GPA's, so grades won't be an issue.....thus the Stanford offers. Land these two kids and then hit on Bell from IL and the Bowie kid from WI + Meyer and it would be a nice looking class.

Gesell: Iowa, Iowa State, Drake, UNI, Nebraska, Stanford, Utah, Creighton.

Woodbury: Iowa, Cal, Minnesota, Nebraska,Ohio State, Stanford, Virginia, Wisconsin, Xavier.

Gesell seems to fit the profile McCaffrey has established and Woodbury, at least based on this list, would be a next level player. I think both these dudes have ~ 3.8 GPA's, so grades won't be an issue.....thus the Stanford offers. Land these two kids and then hit on Bell from IL and the Bowie kid from WI + Meyer and it would be a nice looking class.
It would be a dream come true, HawkIhoops. With fingers crossed and rosary beads clenched firmly in hand, I anxiously await the verdict. What is it with Stanford anyway, there should be quite a few candidates in California to steal. Since steals are mentioned, it appears that Meyer just might be one, another diamond in the rough for Fran.

Yes, jacknicholson, you are correct. He could go to UNC or KU, or the Promised Land. because compared to the blue bloods of college basketball, iowa is in fact the actual promised land, not to be confused with UNC, KU or Duke.

Yes, jacknicholson, you are correct. He could go to UNC or KU, or the Promised Land. because compared to the blue bloods of college basketball, iowa is in fact the actual promised land, not to be confused with UNC, KU or Duke.
I wasn't necessarily referring to basketball.....

luomodeisogni.jpg

Last edited:
Actually my dig was at the last coach. I think Fran has brought in a good bunch. He just needs to get 5 more in pretty short order.

However, I have a feeling he might sit on a scholly or two to balance out the classes. Six guys in the same class is a tall order.

Actually my dig was at the last coach. I think Fran has brought in a good bunch. He just needs to get 5 more in pretty short order.

However, I have a feeling he might sit on a scholly or two to balance out the classes. Six guys in the same class is a tall order.
I think it might be better to save a scholarship or two for the following year also, Carr. We could be short-handed when the class graduates, if they all make the grade that is.

Latest posts