Yet another Gesell & Woodbury thread...

Article on rivals about Woodbury interested in Kansas and something about "Woodbury has a lot to say about KU". Perhaps someone who is a member can troll some content to the surface for the rest of us. If KU offers, game over for Iowa.

I think it might be better to save a scholarship or two for the following year also, Carr. We could be short-handed when the class graduates, if they all make the grade that is.

Are people really going to continue to believe this? Every class it seems like people want to save scholarships for the next class. Why? It has yet to be a choice for this staff to keep the open scholarships. They simply haven't been able to get enough quality guys to commit.

Article on rivals about Woodbury interested in Kansas and something about "Woodbury has a lot to say about KU". Perhaps someone who is a member can troll some content to the surface for the rest of us. If KU offers, game over for Iowa.

It's a video, not an article, and I'm pretty sure that this video surfaced about a week ago, or at least his comments were revealed. There wasn't anything really discouraging in the video. He didn't voluntarily offer up his thoughts about Kansas, but rather the person shooting the video asked about Kansas specifically, and he spat out the basic lines. The "reporter" was leading him in that direction. The video is on KU's Rivals site, so I'd have to guess that's why he led Woodbury.

Are people really going to continue to believe this? Every class it seems like people want to save scholarships for the next class. Why? It has yet to be a choice for this staff to keep the open scholarships. They simply haven't been able to get enough quality guys to commit.

The staff had to scramble year one, so I am not terribly disappointed with the results other than the Hubbard debacle. Year two the bar has to be raised and the results will ease or intensify recruiting concerns. My hope is that the staff can tap into some football karma and start pulling kids like White who have buddies coming here for football or get a follow up recruit like Meyer's AAU teammate. If they can pull a couple of these kids and start winning games, recruiting will be more about strategy and less about desperation. I know KF and staff has developed a strong relationship with DeMatha (Peterson's old high school) in MD, so maybe bb can do the same. At this stage of the program I think the kids will be more effective recruiters than the staff.

Last edited:
Kids are probably going to want to wait until school starts to get the most bang for their announcement.

Also, no one is worried about losing a spot on this team - six open rides will do that.

I think I would be more worried than confident if we heard someone was going to make an announcement before school started.

Good post, HawkIhoops, Aaron is a very nice recruit and will surprise people with his play, attitude and savvy. When reading about his high school team beating the number one team in Ohio, rated one of USA Today's top teams, his football playing buddy Ray Hamilton, got 20 or so rebounds. I believe he is 6'5" and 230 pounds. I have speculated on him walking on to assist with defense and rebounds. That would give us 20 fouls to demolish the opposition under the basket, with Melsohn, Archie, and Olaseni. I remember Dudley, an OSU football player playing on the basketball team. He was a handful under the basket, loved slamming people around. He could dish the punishment out and could take it also. Just idle speculation. Food for thought that is.

Good posts, Carr.

:)

I find it difficult not to share your enthusiasm, dmSSdude. I do believe this will be a very exciting year and will capture the media and recruits attention. I believe what you say...

Last edited:
Not trying to impersonate CaarHawk here, but I am not sure where this unbridled enthusiasm is coming from. Outside of White, I don't see a freshman that will contribute much and we have the fearsome threesome of Brommer D-Arch and Olaseni down low. I think we would be a decent MO Valley team, but unfortunately we play in the big ten. Lots of hopes hanging on major improvements in returning players and in McCaffrey's ability to get 110% out of everybody on the roster.

I hope I am wrong, but I think 15 wins will be a major accomplishment, as I don't see this team doing better than 9-4 in the non conference. Clemson, ISU, Creighton and UNI are going to be tough and I can see a slip against someone else if they have strong guard play and a scorer.

Not trying to impersonate CaarHawk here, but I am not sure where this unbridled enthusiasm is coming from. Outside of White, I don't see a freshman that will contribute much and we have the fearsome threesome of Brommer D-Arch and Olaseni down low. I think we would be a decent MO Valley team, but unfortunately we play in the big ten. Lots of hopes hanging on major improvements in returning players and in McCaffrey's ability to get 110% out of everybody on the roster.

I hope I am wrong, but I think 15 wins will be a major accomplishment, as I don't see this team doing better than 9-4 in the non conference. Clemson, ISU, Creighton and UNI are going to be tough and I can see a slip against someone else if they have strong guard play and a scorer.

There are people in every fan base that drink the kool-aid continuously. The same people predicted 17 wins last year and 20+ the year before. The talent just isn't there. You don't see 20+ loss teams suddenly jump to some of the levels fans are expecting us to. The other site had a poll a few days ago (after the Hubbard debacle) where about 75% of respondents predicted 16+ wins for Iowa.

We have the same lineup with Brommer at C instead of Cole. Come on people. Our players will improve some...the schedule is easier...and the C position is much worse off. I would happily take 15 wins right now. I predict 13-15 wins...and hope we can bring in a nice recruiting class.

I think a lot of it is due to a couple of factors from last year. In the 2010-2011 season, we lost quite a few games by narrow margins and we saw significant improvement that is creating the enthusiasm. If the three freshmen (Marble, McKabe & Mel) can improve by 4-5 points a game each, that would translate 12-15 additional points per game... That would have won upwards to 7-10 games, on score alone. (Don't get me wrong, I understand those numbers don't always tranlate into wins... just a statistic that looks good on paper LOL) But if we improve enough just to get 50% of those games, then that would put us at 15 wins. With the supposed drop-off in the B1G's teams talent... I can see why the excitement has increased. We haven't mentioned the improvements and contributions of the rest of the staff - incoming or returning...

As has been mentioned before, the biggest factors is going to depend on someone stepping up to replace Cole - mostly from a defensive perspective vs. offensively - and if Cartwright can stay healthy all year. Major drop-offs in either of those areas will negate any improvements made... IMO.

One other thing. How long has it been since we've gone a season without having a previous year's (major) contributing player transferring out? Now it's more about improving as a team rather then replacing the top transfer each year... That alone will contribute more than I think we realize... :)

Here comes the broken record...

It all comes down to recruiting. That is what matters this year. Without a recruiting class that ranks in the top half of the league, everything else is moot.

Fretting over lineups, schedule, etc., is really kind of silly.

Basabe, White, Marble, and Olaseni could develop into a nice set of B1G players. But alone they would get taken to the woodshed. They need a big 2012 class to provide the extra help to compete.

Even then, you would need the players to be good enough as sophomores to have a winning record in the B1G to get Mel and Marble to the NCAAs. That is a tall order and would, again, require a severe increase in recruiting success.

I think a lot of it is due to a couple of factors from last year. In the 2010-2011 season, we lost quite a few games by narrow margins and we saw significant improvement that is creating the enthusiasm. If the three freshmen (Marble, McKabe & Mel) can improve by 4-5 points a game each, that would translate 12-15 additional points per game... That would have won upwards to 7-10 games, on score alone. (Don't get me wrong, I understand those numbers don't always tranlate into wins... just a statistic that looks good on paper LOL) But if we improve enough just to get 50% of those games, then that would put us at 15 wins. With the supposed drop-off in the B1G's teams talent... I can see why the excitement has increased. We haven't mentioned the improvements and contributions of the rest of the staff - incoming or returning...

As has been mentioned before, the biggest factors is going to depend on someone stepping up to replace Cole - mostly from a defensive perspective vs. offensively - and if Cartwright can stay healthy all year. Major drop-offs in either of those areas will negate any improvements made... IMO.

One other thing. How long has it been since we've gone a season without having a previous year's (major) contributing player transferring out? Now it's more about improving as a team rather then replacing the top transfer each year... That alone will contribute more than I think we realize... :)

What do you want to bet that this broken record stops playing about February 1st?

There are people in every fan base that drink the kool-aid continuously. The same people predicted 17 wins last year and 20+ the year before. The talent just isn't there. You don't see 20+ loss teams suddenly jump to some of the levels fans are expecting us to. The other site had a poll a few days ago (after the Hubbard debacle) where about 75% of respondents predicted 16+ wins for Iowa.

We have the same lineup with Brommer at C instead of Cole. Come on people. Our players will improve some...the schedule is easier...and the C position is much worse off. I would happily take 15 wins right now. I predict 13-15 wins...and hope we can bring in a nice recruiting class.

The center position is much worse off? Jarryd Cole gave this team outstanding leadership and led by example in playing his heart out every game but he did it as an undersized 6'7" center playing out of position. This season we will have a true post presence. Brommer has a good offensive game around the basket and plays aggresively and with no fear on the defensive end stepping up to take charges. He will enter his senior season brimming with confidence and I think will surprise some people if he overcomes his tendancy to get into foul trouble. Olesani gives us an atheletic big off the bench who runs the floor well and will help us immediately on defense and rebounding and his offensive game while a work in progress shows potential as well. Archie will likely play a little more than he did last season and should get better also.

I feel pretty good about finally having the stability in the program where we have everybody back minus one senior. This team became markedly better over the course of last season and I expect the improvement to continue into this season regardless of how that translates into the number of wins.

Last edited:
The team will continue to improve regardless if that translates to wins?

Sounds like Lick language.

Give me a break. I started last season with no expectations whatsoever other than seeing the team get better. If you don't think this team played progressively better basketball over the course of last season then you didn't watch the same Hawkeye team I did. The number of wins didn't matter. I expect the same arc of improvement this season. Who knows how many wins that translates into?