yawn

I wouldn't get too excited about transfers. Seems like Fran and his staff have been primarily out scouting and recruiting high school players the last couple of weeks.
In the portal Fran appears to favor quality over quantity and zones in on specific targets rather than the shotgun approach favored by many other coaches.
I guess if Fran doesn't get the ones that he wants he'll go to war with the ones he has.

There was a 247 article yesterday that was premium and the headline said that Fran was meeting with a top center target this week.

I would be very surprised if Fran does not bring in a big from the portal. Iowa is showing up as being interested in a number of top targets. Whether Fran can land one of the bigger names, or just pick through another team's discard pile, remains to be seen.

There was a 247 article yesterday that was premium and the headline said that Fran was meeting with a top center target this week.

I would be very surprised if Fran does not bring in a big from the portal. Iowa is showing up as being interested in a number of top targets. Whether Fran can land one of the bigger names, or just pick through another team's discard pile, remains to be seen.
Same guy he's been after for a few weeks, Fardaws Aimaq. I have a feeling Iowa isn't going to land that guy at the end of the day.

Don't worry, no one on this board ever thinks Fran is ever going to land any recruit, ever.
and when he does, it's met with scrutiny... i mean, the Murray's were coming to Iowa City no matter what. Fran is just lucky mostly. He's lucky he has all this instate talent that was coming to IC anyways... so I don't really worry too much about it. Fran will just sort of luck his way into another AA sometime soon I imagine.

I was looking at Evan Miya - which ranks the transfer portal and up until yesterday when Joe T committed to WV, he was the 10th ranked player in the portal. Not that their rankings mean a whole lot, but I think that it speaks volumes about what's in this portal

That's the surprise to me of Josh transferring. He had potential and really just needed to change his body. Wonder if Covid really messed him up or there was health concerns. Shed the weight and he could have been an impressive rim protector.

and when he does, it's met with scrutiny... i mean, the Murray's were coming to Iowa City no matter what. Fran is just lucky mostly. He's lucky he has all this instate talent that was coming to IC anyways... so I don't really worry too much about it. Fran will just sort of luck his way into another AA sometime soon I imagine.
Some truth to both luck and skill at evaluating talent. He offered Garza and the first Ulis before anyone else. That's skill. Offering the Murrays after an assistant coach evaluated them probable as a favor for an alum might have been luck. Unless Fran was slow playing them to throw off the wolves who seem to circle Fran's recruits. That in itself shows that other coaches think he knows what he's doing. I myself think he is a great scout, a great developer of talent, but not a great recruiter. But that is a whole different debate which involves ethics which I believe Fran has. Would honestly love for BB players to be paid, but everyone get the same. Part of the compensation for playing college ball. Then if they get caught cheating lose their amateur status. Never happen but I can daydream.

That's the surprise to me of Josh transferring. He had potential and really just needed to change his body. Wonder if Covid really messed him up or there was health concerns. Shed the weight and he could have been an impressive rim protector.
None of us here see anything of the guy whatsoever except for a few minutes in a game. We have no idea what his performance was like in practice, how well he caught on to and understood plays/schemes/etc., and or how he compared to other players in those regards. We literally know nothing about his potential.

Josh just looked awkward on the court, and not in a way that he would grow out of. I just think this level of competition was too much for his god given talent. He could be a contributor in the Missouri Valley or a real force at the Division II level. Fran took a flyer on a big body and gave it a couple of years. It was not going anywhere IMHO. Best for both to part ways.

Josh just looked awkward on the court, and not in a way that he would grow out of. I just think this level of competition was too much for his god given talent. He could be a contributor in the Missouri Valley or a real force at the Division II level. Fran took a flyer on a big body and gave it a couple of years. It was not going anywhere IMHO. Best for both to part ways.
Agree with this totally. When you aren't getting the highly ranked guys and gamble on projects you're going to swing and miss sometimes. He was worth the risk it just didn't work out

Problem, easier said than done with some players. I think Fran and staff knew that had to be the play when bringing him in. He did shed some pounds but for some reason he just couldn't increase his stamina to play for long minutes. They tried.

Don't worry, no one on this board ever thinks Fran is ever going to land any recruit, ever.
Fran either hits the moon and lands the ultimate diamond in the rough, gets solid a grouping of small/power-forward types, and gets a collection of 2 star guards.

Some of these said recruits may end playing for other teams at the end of the day....and several have made some NBA/NBA D rosters.

Good, solid, but not great.

Last edited:
I was looking at Evan Miya - which ranks the transfer portal and up until yesterday when Joe T committed to WV, he was the 10th ranked player in the portal. Not that their rankings mean a whole lot, but I think that it speaks volumes about what's in this portal

I think two things can be true about the portal - most guys in it are in it for a reason and it's because they aren't that good, and that I think Evan Miya's rankings are absolutely bizarre. Joe was a fine player for Iowa but he's not the #12 ranked transfer. There are guys way below him on the list that are getting a ton of attention.

None of us here see anything of the guy whatsoever except for a few minutes in a game. We have no idea what his performance was like in practice, how well he caught on to and understood plays/schemes/etc., and or how he compared to other players in those regards. We literally know nothing about his potential.
I saw him make the Purdue bigs looks silly in stretches. That was good enough for me. ;)

He was our 3rd biggest loss behind KM and JBo imho.

I saw him make the Purdue bigs looks silly in stretches. That was good enough for me. ;)

He was our 3rd biggest loss behind KM and JBo imho.
He came in and gave us some positive and important minutes against Purdue. But "made look silly" is a bit much. And, he played about 8 minutes total.

I view this as addition by subtraction, not as a loss. I did not see much to indicate he would develop into a 20+ minute a night player in this league. You usually have a decent idea of what you have after two years. Having the schollie to take a dice roll at another big is a positive to me.

NC's backup C (Dawson Garcia) just entered the portal. He can get a hardship waiver if he moves close to home (MN). Hopefully Fran has checked in already.

NC's backup C (Dawson Garcia) just entered the portal. He can get a hardship waiver if he moves close to home (MN). Hopefully Fran has checked in already.
Why does anyone even need a hardship waiver these days? I thought it was pretty much free agency now and kids could move schools and be eligible right away?

Why does anyone even need a hardship waiver these days? I thought it was pretty much free agency now and kids could move schools and be eligible right away?
He already used the transfer portal to transfer from Marquette to NC. Apparently he had a decent year with 9 ppg and 5+ rpg on limited minutes but is homesick.

Latest posts