yawn

Some truth to both luck and skill at evaluating talent. He offered Garza and the first Ulis before anyone else. That's skill. Offering the Murrays after an assistant coach evaluated them probable as a favor for an alum might have been luck. Unless Fran was slow playing them to throw off the wolves who seem to circle Fran's recruits. That in itself shows that other coaches think he knows what he's doing. I myself think he is a great scout, a great developer of talent, but not a great recruiter. But that is a whole different debate which involves ethics which I believe Fran has. Would honestly love for BB players to be paid, but everyone get the same. Part of the compensation for playing college ball. Then if they get caught cheating lose their amateur status. Never happen but I can daydream.
Fran had been keeping an eye on the Murrays for years. It was even his idea for them to go to a prep school. The only luck involved in that recruiting process was how good they ended up being.

Need to adapt to FA. Damn Fran, the whole world knows you are PG killer. That should ALWAYS be your target in FA.

Jeez, think.

Fran had been keeping an eye on the Murrays for years. It was even his idea for them to go to a prep school. The only luck involved in that recruiting process was how good they ended up being.
Then he was slow playing them to stay off the radar, good move by Fran.

Then he was slow playing them to stay off the radar, good move by Fran.
I don't think that's true. I think they wanted to go to Iowa regardless of who recruited them or not...they both just happened to benefit greatly from a physical standpoint by doing a post-grad year at a prep school and showed their value playing a lot better competition than they faced while in highschool.

The Murrays also wanted to play together. Both were late bloomers and there were not any high level suitors that wanted to take a flyer that would tie up two scholarships. As they began to flash the summer after high school and into their prep year, Fran quickly became comfortable with bringing them both in. I agree they preferred Iowa and once they got the formal offer, it was over. But Fran and Kenyon and the twins were in touch throughout the process. It was just a matter of timing.

Latest posts