Ya shoulda went to Iowa...

I would blow out my right shoulder if I tried - did 275 2 months ago and am never going above 225 again - too old to risk it. Got back into lifting about a year and a half ago and the joints definitely are showing age and are much weaker than what my muscles can bear but after I had knee surgery last year, I'm going to listen to my body.
What kind of knee surgery was it? I've debated getting the gel injection (arthritis and torn meniscus in both knees) and also suffered two hip pointers in the last nine months, where more arthriris probably resides. My shoulder stopped allowing heavy bench pressing ten years ago (never got to 300, weigh about 225). I'm now well north of fifty. The old athletic saying is true: father time is undefeated.

What kind of knee surgery was it? I've debated getting the gel injection (arthritis and torn meniscus in both knees) and also suffered two hip pointers in the last nine months, where more arthriris probably resides. My shoulder stopped allowing heavy bench pressing ten years ago (never got to 300, weigh about 225). I'm now well north of fifty. The old athletic saying is true: father time is undefeated.

I'd have to dig out the paperwork, but basically I tore 6cm of cartilage on my femur and my meniscus, so they did a scope and cut the tear in the cartilage and shaved the meniscus or something. The biggest problem I had was my injury lingered for about 5 months before I had surgery (took forever to get scheduled with the surgeon because the ortho guy wants to advise everyone without an ACL or MCL tear to see if it gets better knowing that most people are sedentary and won't actually need surgery because if he sent everyone straight to the surgeon it would take 3 years to accommodate everyone). In that time and in the immediate aftermath of the surgery, the innermost muscle on my quad drastically atrophied and my hip got very weak. I'm still rehabbing those. The knee sounds like there is gravel inside of it unless I warm it up for 15 minutes and do a foam roller on the quad for 5 minutes. It totally sucks, but I can do squats again and run at least enough to chase my son around.

Your knee issues could certainly cause hip problems down the road and had I realized how bad my hip was going to get, I would have absolutely gone for surgery way faster. Depending on the tear you have and what your arthritis has done, it can trigger some nerve in your quad to make your quad stop working so as to prevent further damage to your knee. That "failsafe" is what really messed me up. If you can't jog or do an actual squat without any weight, then you have that same nerve issue I had and I would get surgery and as much physical therapy as your insurance will cover ASAP. Just a minor tweak in your stride can really jack up a lot of the muscles in your leg and as your bones get weaker as you approach 60, if you have any stride or pushoff issues with that knee, I would absolutely get it fixed because even though it sucks now, my guess is if you hit 60 or 65 with atrophy in those muscles your golden years will be really, really bad. My hip was dropping a few inches on stairs when I pushed off with my right leg and if that happens when you get old, that's how you break a hip without a fall.

I'd have to dig out the paperwork, but basically I tore 6cm of cartilage on my femur and my meniscus, so they did a scope and cut the tear in the cartilage and shaved the meniscus or something. The biggest problem I had was my injury lingered for about 5 months before I had surgery (took forever to get scheduled with the surgeon because the ortho guy wants to advise everyone without an ACL or MCL tear to see if it gets better knowing that most people are sedentary and won't actually need surgery because if he sent everyone straight to the surgeon it would take 3 years to accommodate everyone). In that time and in the immediate aftermath of the surgery, the innermost muscle on my quad drastically atrophied and my hip got very weak. I'm still rehabbing those. The knee sounds like there is gravel inside of it unless I warm it up for 15 minutes and do a foam roller on the quad for 5 minutes. It totally sucks, but I can do squats again and run at least enough to chase my son around.

Your knee issues could certainly cause hip problems down the road and had I realized how bad my hip was going to get, I would have absolutely gone for surgery way faster. Depending on the tear you have and what your arthritis has done, it can trigger some nerve in your quad to make your quad stop working so as to prevent further damage to your knee. That "failsafe" is what really messed me up. If you can't jog or do an actual squat without any weight, then you have that same nerve issue I had and I would get surgery and as much physical therapy as your insurance will cover ASAP. Just a minor tweak in your stride can really jack up a lot of the muscles in your leg and as your bones get weaker as you approach 60, if you have any stride or pushoff issues with that knee, I would absolutely get it fixed because even though it sucks now, my guess is if you hit 60 or 65 with atrophy in those muscles your golden years will be really, really bad. My hip was dropping a few inches on stairs when I pushed off with my right leg and if that happens when you get old, that's how you break a hip without a fall.
I can still run but my mile times have risen above ten minutes. Several conversations with Ortho led to the conclusion that scar tissue has built up nicely on the meniscus but the arthritis must be kept in check. I am very familiar with the utensil known as the foam roller. Ideally I'd like to get back in 200 range which is only about fifteen over my college weight. But as a parent of three kids who play on high school and traveling sports teams my passion for running has taken a back seat to my passion for bleachers. I'll still get out on the track between games occasionally, however.

I would blow out my right shoulder if I tried - did 275 2 months ago and am never going above 225 again - too old to risk it. Got back into lifting about a year and a half ago and the joints definitely are showing age and are much weaker than what my muscles can bear but after I had knee surgery last year, I'm going to listen to my body.

I’m 43 and am having bicep tendon/rotator cuff issues. Hurts so bad when I try to bench press right now I’m not sure I could do 135. 2 years ago I was doing 3 sets of 15 with 225. Moral to the story, age does catch up. Joints and such do start to just get sore. Listening to your body is a good idea.

[QUOTE="Northside Hawk, post: 1705524, member: 82566I am very familiar with the utensil known as the foam roller.

Amen. Use it almost every day. I lay length ways in it to stretch out my shoulders and chest. I try to get my elbows to the floor and just lay there.

I can still run but my mile times have risen above ten minutes. Several conversations with Ortho led to the conclusion that scar tissue has built up nicely on the meniscus but the arthritis must be kept in check. I am very familiar with the utensil known as the foam roller. Ideally I'd like to get back in 200 range which is only about fifteen over my college weight. But as a parent of three kids who play on high school and traveling sports teams my passion for running has taken a back seat to my passion for bleachers. I'll still get out on the track between games occasionally, however.

Okay, I dropped 40 lbs. I cut out beer except one day a week and went to Coors Light instead of the heavy IPAs that I love. I also cut out all refined sugar and about 90% of the heavy carbs (bread, white rice, anything with flour) and all fried foods. Did 30 mins of cardio a day 6x a week and 30-45 mins of superset lifting (eg, chest-back with no break between sets or bis-tris, etc.) so it was almost a continuation of cardio. Got 40 lbs off in 5 months and it wasn't too bad. First few days sucked and I never tried to go full keto or whatever it is, but it was fairly easy in hindsight. You can drop 15 in 2-3 months if you commit to it. If you're traveling and you have to eat fast food, absolutely limit yourself to getting things like double quarter pounders and only eating the meat, no fries, no soda (even diet). You just gotta do it, dude.

I’m 43 and am having bicep tendon/rotator cuff issues. Hurts so bad when I try to bench press right now I’m not sure I could do 135. 2 years ago I was doing 3 sets of 15 with 225. Moral to the story, age does catch up. Joints and such do start to just get sore. Listening to your body is a good idea.

Have you done any PT on your shoulders? My buddy has been suggesting I go do that - he said it really cleaned up his shoulder.

How did you guys get so beat up? I am assuming you did white collar work after college. I get age catches up with everyone, but you guys have the aches and pains of a former professional athlete or someone that did grunt blue collar work for 30+ years.

How did you guys get so beat up? I am assuming you did white collar work after college. I get age catches up with everyone, but you guys have the aches and pains of a former professional athlete or someone that did grunt blue collar work for 30+ years.
Raising three adopted children, one bi-polar and the other two ADHD, is grunt blue collar work and then some. Speaking for myself, I don't hurt 24/7, but the key, like some posters have stated, is the joints and bones wearing down, then the ripple effect from there. If I try to do some of the crazy things I did in my teens and twenties, I will pay for it. But otherwise I live a normal, active lifestyle, balancing work with family activities and exercise.