Ya shoulda went to Iowa...

ShemHawk

There aren't many times where I can point to a specific player and say they would have come out better had they gone to Iowa, but Orlando Brown is one of those times. Assuming he would have listened and stuck it out, does anyone doubt that Doyle and the staff would have shaped and prepared this young man better?

His late father played for both Cleveland and Baltimore, the two pro teams Kirk coached for (Offensive Line). Did senior ever play for Kirk?

His late father played for both Cleveland and Baltimore, the two pro teams Kirk coached for (Offensive Line). Did senior ever play for Kirk?

He did, and I believe that was the only reason we were ever mentioned in the conversation during his recruiting. He talked about how much his dad respected Kirk.

Here is his dad after the referee threw the flag at his eye, ending his career. Such a Browns thing to happen. Dad was such a road grader.

AyT8Iv6.gif

Here is his dad after the referee threw the flag at his eye, ending his career. Such a Browns thing to happen. Dad was such a road grader.

AyT8Iv6.gif
Great run blocker and Jonathan Ogden at the other tackle was right up there with Anthony Munoz as the greatest pass blocking tackles of all time. Ogden was the Ravens first ever selection. The fans and media wanted Lawrence Phillips. That was 1996. Two championships later Ozzie Newsome is still on the job with former hawk Marshal Yanda as his best lineman. We know the downward spiral that became Lawrence Phillips. Not sure about those naysaying fans and media.

Great run blocker and Jonathan Ogden at the other tackle was right up there with Anthony Munoz as the greatest pass blocking tackles of all time. Ogden was the Ravens first ever selection. The fans and media wanted Lawrence Phillips. That was 1996. Two championships later Ozzie Newsome is still on the job with former hawk Marshal Yanda as his best lineman. We know the downward spiral that became Lawrence Phillips. Not sure about those naysaying fans and media.

Browns fan here. Was living in Nebraska when they drafted Ogden over Phillips. Had friends that told me I was crazy for wanting Ogden instead of the best running back in quite some time. Bet a guy $100 that Ogden would end up the better player. Did I win?

Brown has flopped at the combine big time. He ran a 5.85 40, had a 19.5 inch vertical, 6' 10" standing broad jump, and 14 reps on the bench press. All of these were the worst of any OL.

The next lowest in each (all by different people) were: 5.58 40, 23.5 inch vertical, 7' 10" standing broad jump, and 15 reps on the bench press.

He's still a good player, but I think teams are backing off on him because of his performance, mostly because he came in so out of shape and work ethic has always been a concern of his...according to the analysts who know everything. ;)

He's still a good player, but I think teams are backing off on him because of his performance, mostly because he came in so out of shape and work ethic has always been a concern of his...according to the analysts who know everything. ;)

He wouldn't have fit in the Iowa program. His attitude wouldn't have been tolerated. The coaching staff already has it's hands full with people who want to be there.

I'm 40, weigh 180, have a moderately bad shoulder and I can do 5 reps at 225 (could probably do 7 or 8 on a good day but I usually do 4 sets of 5 reps at that weight). I have no idea how a 22 year old aspiring pro athlete who weighs north of 300 can only do 14. That dude should be ashamed of his conditioning.

There aren't many times where I can point to a specific player and say they would have come out better had they gone to Iowa, but Orlando Brown is one of those times. Assuming he would have listened and stuck it out, does anyone doubt that Doyle and the staff would have shaped and prepared this young man better?

He was a unanimous All American this year and played in the College Football Playoffs so I doubt he regrets his decision. :)

I'm 40, weigh 180, have a moderately bad shoulder and I can do 5 reps at 225 (could probably do 7 or 8 on a good day but I usually do 4 sets of 5 reps at that weight). I have no idea how a 22 year old aspiring pro athlete who weighs north of 300 can only do 14. That dude should be ashamed of his conditioning.
Dude.
Doughnut boxes are 22.5 oz. That’s 12 reps.
He got 14.

Trust me. Living in Nebraska is much, much worse than being a Browns fan.

The Browns are trying. Might win a game or two after today, plus the 1 and 4 picks. Best day I've had as a Browns fan in quite some time! Like the day I moved back to Iowa from Nebraska!

So you can put up 315? Impressive, 3 plates. Never in a million years I would think you had that kind of strength.

So you can put up 315? Impressive, 3 plates. Never in a million years I would think you had that kind of strength.

I would blow out my right shoulder if I tried - did 275 2 months ago and am never going above 225 again - too old to risk it. Got back into lifting about a year and a half ago and the joints definitely are showing age and are much weaker than what my muscles can bear but after I had knee surgery last year, I'm going to listen to my body.

Latest posts