Y Back

Is this a Patriots influence coming from Brian or something GD has used in the past?

A Y Back is simply a pass catching TE in football terms. Different coaches use different terms. Greg Davis is probably used to this term and since they're running his offense they are now using this term. I wouldn't look too far into it. Basically when a Y Back, like Duzey or Krieger-Coble (sp?), is being used it will most likely be a pass play.

If you think about the order of the alphabet it ends with X, Y, and Z. In many offenses the X Receiver splits out left and the Z receiver splits out right. Or the X receiver will line up on the weak side of the formation and the Y and Z receivers will line up on the strong side. Therefore, the "Y" back is in the middle like a Tight End.

A Y Back is simply a pass catching TE in football terms. Different coaches use different terms. Greg Davis is probably used to this term and since they're running his offense they are now using this term. I wouldn't look too far into it. Basically when a Y Back, like Duzey or Krieger-Coble (sp?), is being used it will most likely be a pass play.

If you think about the order of the alphabet it ends with X, Y, and Z. In many offenses the X Receiver splits out left and the Z receiver splits out right. Or the X receiver will line up on the weak side of the formation and the Y and Z receivers will line up on the strong side. Therefore, the "Y" back is in the middle like a Tight End.

Except they already list TE as a separate position in the 2 deeps, filled with the guys who finished 1st and 2nd on the depth chart last year at the position.

I would think of it more like an H back position (only GD uses Y for whatever reason), especially given KF's admission that they are thin at FB this year. So instead of using a FB, you bring one of those TE's into the backfield or into a wing position to lead or provide misdirection.

Except they already list TE as a separate position in the 2 deeps, filled with the guys who finished 1st and 2nd on the depth chart last year at the position.

I would think of it more like an H back position (only GD uses Y for whatever reason), especially given KF's admission that they are thin at FB this year. So instead of using a FB, you bring one of those TE's into the backfield or into a wing position to lead or provide misdirection.

Good discussion. In some systems a Y "back" is just a TE who lines up off the line but otherwise in the usual space (beside the tackle) with the Z split and on the LOS. There may be an A or slot receiver between the Y back and the Z. By the way, check out this link and see if some if it looks familiar:
Smart Football

Last edited:

I never said the Y Back wouldn't line up in formations with the traditional TE's. They may line up in the backfield or in the traditional TE spot. I just said they are essentially a player who fits a pass catching TE mold. Of course they can line up in multiple different spots but they are almost always between the X and Z receivers unless there is some sort of motion. GD uses the term Y Back because the players that play it are shaped like TE's which is not what your traditional H Back looks like.

Last edited:
Good discussion. In some systems a Y "back" is just a TE who lines up off the line but otherwise in the usual space (beside the tackle) with the Z split and on the LOS. There may be an A or slot receiver between the Y back and the Z. By the way, check out this link and see if some if it looks familiar:
Smart Football

Cool link! It lead me to this description of the ideal TE by Bill Walsh in 1997 where he predicts Tony Gonzalez will end up in the HOF. TIGHT END

I never said the Y Back wouldn't line up in formations with the traditional TE's. They may line up in the backfield or in the traditional TE spot. I just said they are essentially a player who fits a pass catching TE mold. Of course they can line up in multiple different spots but they are almost always between the X and Z receivers unless there is some sort of motion. GD uses the term Y Back because the players that play it are shaped like TE's which is not what your traditional H Back looks like.

I didn't mean to insinuate that the only places this position would line up would be the backfield or in a slot/wing position...just that it seemed that way based on the naming convention ("Y" - TE in most offenses; "Back" - Someone who lines up in the backfield). With a shortage of FB's, I'm sure we'll use a bit of 12 personnel this year...but if they want to throw out of it, I'm not sure why they wouldn't put CJF at one and Hamilton at the other. From a pass catching standpoint it seems those are the top two guys at the Y (Y or Y Back) position they'd want to get the ball to. Who knows at this point, though...

I didn't mean to insinuate that the only places this position would line up would be the backfield or in a slot/wing position...just that it seemed that way based on the naming convention ("Y" - TE in most offenses; "Back" - Someone who lines up in the backfield). With a shortage of FB's, I'm sure we'll use a bit of 12 personnel this year...but if they want to throw out of it, I'm not sure why they wouldn't put CJF at one and Hamilton at the other. From a pass catching standpoint it seems those are the top two guys at the Y (Y or Y Back) position they'd want to get the ball to. Who knows at this point, though...

I actually thought that Duzey stood a chance to come in as a big WR out of high school. I see him actually being used a lot like Dallas Clark was used in Indy - lining up off the line as much if not more than as a traditional hand down TE. (Not actually comparing him to Clark talent wise).

I From a pass catching standpoint it seems those are the top two guys at the Y (Y or Y Back) position they'd want to get the ball to. Who knows at this point, though...

Duzey and Krieger-Coble were more productive than the others at the end of the year, and they each saw more playing time than Hamilton.

Hamilton and CJ are more traditional TE types. Duzey and HKC fit this role better.

Honestly, with the Hawks lack of depth at WR I wouldn't be surprised to see formations with Hamilton, CJF, and Duzey or HKC on the field at the same time. I agree that they are all pass catching threats, but I think CJF and Hamilton provide more in terms of blocking, while Duzey and HKC can provide a little more athleticism and better hands. In reality, CJF can probably do about everything as well as any of them tho. Maybe because of his size he doesn't have the same quickness as Duzey or HKC. Either way, teams will be keying on CJF because they know he is a threat. Will be nice to have other big options running routes. Hopefully routes that aren't always 2-3 yard outs : )

I actually thought that Duzey stood a chance to come in as a big WR out of high school. I see him actually being used a lot like Dallas Clark was used in Indy - lining up off the line as much if not more than as a traditional hand down TE. (Not actually comparing him to Clark talent wise).

I thought something similar. Actually, he struck me as a "Northwestern-style" TE. I hope we start using him this year.

No. I am pretty sure a Y back is a combination of a wing back and an I back.

The "base" of the position is just like an I back. But there is part of a WB on top.

See . . . I . . . W . . . Y

Either that or the term is meaningless distinction for a 2nd TE who will sometimes line up or motion into the backfield a la Aaron Hernandez at NE.

No. I am pretty sure a Y back is a combination of a wing back and an I back.

The "base" of the position is just like an I back. But there is part of a WB on top.

See . . . I . . . W . . . Y

Either that or the term is meaningless distinction for a 2nd TE who will sometimes line up or motion into the backfield a la Aaron Hernandez at NE.

It depends on what kind of offense you're running. You can't just say "no" because there are tons of different offensive schemes. A Y Back is a vague term and it isn't only used in one offense. There's no right or wrong answer. Considering the players who are listed at the position it seems as though Iowa will be using it as more of a TE who can line up in different spots. It's a combination of all of the above. Let's put it that way for democratic purposes.

All use of terms in offenses are fluid and different things can mean the same thing in different offenses. Typically the 2nd te is called the "y" or "h" back. They will usually be used a little differently as they tend to motion more sometimes line up as a fullback or as a standard te or as a wingback or in the slot. These are typically the matchup nightmare types in the nfl. Think dallas clark with indy and aaron hernandez with new england. The newer term for this player is the h-back but originally he was commonly deemed the y-back. I would guess we used the term with o'keefe too but since we used the fb on the two deep they just didn't list the y-back.

Think about how the two deeps for some teams list a fb while others list 3 wr spots...now we are listing 2 tes when we used to not.

Latest posts