Xavier Foster

morley10

just read that Xavier Foster will be announcing his top three in less than a week.sounds like he is getting a little tired of the process.

I wrote the first recruiting story in Xavier way back when Iowa offered before his freshman season. Getting to know him and his father over time, they're not attention seekers. For a guy that's been as highly ranked as he for as long as he has, there hasn't been a lot written. I wrote about him after his official visit in the fall and again this spring.

I would not take the lack of stories as an indication that Iowa is not in the mix. There aren't a lot of stories connecting him to any other programs either. He and his father have done a good job of keeping things as normal as possible and not let the process eat them up.

I don't have a feel for where he's going. I've heard that if he stays in state, that it's going to be ISU. I've also heard people in his hometown believe strongly that it's Iowa. That Duke and UNC have not come in yet, is good news for the Hawkeyes.

I'm interested to see how this plays out. I will try to connect with he and his dad after the July period plays out or when he announces a Top 3. I would be surprised, not shocked, if Iowa is not in the Top 3.

If signing one recruit is all it takes to prove that, then he already proved it with Wieskamp. He actually proved it before that with Woody.

Seriously PC? You know I am mainly talking about the one piece that has been missing since he got here. If Foster is legit then he could be the answer.

Also, If his players have been adequate then that means he can’t coach defense. If a coach can’t instill or recruit players that can play defense then is that coach legit?

I’ve lost track but isn’t this Fran’s twelfth season coming up? How many conference titles has he won? ZERO. How can that be satisfactory for any fan base? By accepting that standard the fan base has basically given up and conceded that IOWA is the little train that couldn’t. How is that not a defeatists mindset?

Is it an indefinite amount of time that you want to give this coach? The missing piece is the captain of the ship. The most vital of all positions on the floor. Yes, he has had some nice players here and there but why can’t he land a point guard?

Dolph’s comments however harsh as they were, ARE true and nothing’s going to change until he lands that’s premier point guard. Once he does that then he can build a team around that player. Once he gets that point guard, builds a team around that’s player, then it will be much easier to recruit that type of player again. “Dribble into a double team with your head down, GEESH!!! They have two excellent guards and we can’t seem to get one!” Maybe I didn’t quote Dolph word for word but that was the summation of his statement and IT IS DEAD ON CORRECT.

This isn’t Fran’s third season in and he has had plenty of time to prove he can build a winner. Recruits aren’t stupid and the best players want to play on a team that can compete for conference titles. Once a coach shows he can do that then the recruits will come. “If you build it he will come!” He being the captain of the team, the difference maker. “Is this Heaven? No, and it sure as hell is not Iowa City!” That’s what the movie should have said.

How do spell drought? “STEVETODDFRAN drought.” That is correct.

Last edited:
Seriously PC? You know I am mainly talking about the one piece that has been missing since he got here. If Foster is legit then he could be the answer.

Also, If his players have been adequate then that means he can’t coach defense. If a coach can’t instill or recruit players that can play defense then is that coach legit?

I’ve lost track but isn’t this Fran’s twelfth season coming up? How many conference titles has he won? ZERO. How can that be satisfactory for any fan base? By accepting that standard the fan base has basically given up and conceded that IOWA is the little train that couldn’t. How is that not a defeatists mindset?

Is it an indefinite amount of time that you want to give this coach? The missing piece is the captain of the ship. The most vital of all positions on the floor. Yes, he has had some nice players here and there but why can’t he land a point guard?

Dolph’s comments however harsh as they were, ARE true and nothing’s going to change until he lands that’s premier point guard. Once he does that then he can build a team around that player. Once he gets that point guard, builds a team around that’s player, then it will be much easier to recruit that type of player again. “Dribble into a double team with your head down, GEESH!!! They have two excellent guards and we can’t seem to get one!” Maybe I didn’t quote Dolph word for word but that was the summation of his statement and IT IS DEAD ON CORRECT.

This isn’t Fran’s third season in and he has had plenty of time to prove he can build a winner. Recruits aren’t stupid and the best players want to play on a team that can compete for conference titles. Once a coach shows he can do that then the recruits will come. “If you build it he will come!” He being the captain of the team, the difference maker. “Is this Heaven? No, and it sure as hell is not Iowa City!” That’s what the movie should have said.

Foster grants Fran a reprieve. :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

God would I love to see that as a thread title soon.

Foster isn’t a point guard. He’s a post. Which Fran has gotten many of

Everything I’ve gathered sounds like the top 3 will be Iowa, Iowa State, and Baylor. That gives us a pretty decent shot. Currently all 6 247 crystal balls favor Iowa, but those might be dated, and considering how close XF and his family have kept the recruiting here it’s really anyone’s guess.

I will say this. Xavier is priority number 1 for 2020 and we definitely want him, however I don’t think he’s going to be a significant impact guy from day 1 say like a Wieskamp. That’s probably okay, considering we should still have Nunge and Garza around for at least year with him.

His basketball ceiling is very high if everything comes together, but from the videos I’ve seen he is a bit passive at times. He’s got some time as well but he needs to increase his strength.

The big thing for me is the shot blocking and ability to alter shots. Imagine having two 7 footers in Nunge and Foster who can both move their feet, have good hands, and can step outside and shoot the ball. That would be extremely interesting to watch.

That's a long rant about point guards in a thread about a pf/c. And don't get me started with the "fans have defeatist mindsets if they don't flip shit over a team they cheer for" crap. You are a middle aged guy who lives halfway across the country. If you think a winning mindset has anything to do with some random team you cheer for, then I really feel sorry for you. I judge my winning mindset on things I can control like my family, my job, and things I actually participate in.

This is my 2020 recruits dream team.

Xavier Foster 7’0” C
Dawson Garcia 6’11” PF
Andre Jackson 6’6” SF
Jalen Suggs 6’5” CG ( FB schollie )
Bowen Born 5’11” PG ( Walk-On )

Not sure if we have 3 or 4 schollies to offer in this class. But I’d be extremely pleased with a class like this. Will we get this class? Highly unlikely, but a guy can dream, can’t he.

Agree to disagree here. Is there any scenario where Wieskamp doesn't go to Iowa? Cook is the one IMO.

I figured that would come up. That's the problem with making that big of a deal with one recruit. If he comes to Iowa, maybe he was always coning here regardless of the coach. If he signs somewhere else, maybe he was never coming to Iowa regardless of the coach. Foster might choose ISU because he wants to be with his girlfriend. That has nothing to do with how good or bad Fran is as a coach.

I did hear that privately Foster's dad was much more upset about the whole "Gorilla" thing than he led on.

Hard to say how much that would affect Xavier's recruitment, but, if true, it undoubtedly doesn't help.

I did hear that privately Foster's dad was much more upset about the whole "Gorilla" thing than he led on.

Hard to say how much that would affect Xavier's recruitment, but, if true, it undoubtedly doesn't help.

No one called anyone a gorilla. Dolph likened the Maryland big guy to King Kong because he was getting every rebound. There was literally nothing even remotely racist about it so if he was actually upset about that then I'd hope his son isn't so soft.