Wyoming implosion makes them a non-threat!!!!!!!

It's certainly more recent than "they have an NFL QB" which was repeated ad nauseam before this story broke.

Oh, and here's some more: http://trib.com/sports/college/wyom...cle_6742dd43-8562-5799-acb1-dcfa68b42b97.html

Lost top 3 receivers (2 WR and TE) to graduation. This fall, have lost one of top returning WR and their starting TE to injury (neither season-ending, but sounds like they will miss the opener). Starting a true freshman center. Anyone feeling more confident about this game?

I'm confident about this game right up to the moment I starting thinking about how a team that won the Orange Bowl, with one of the best defenses in the history of Iowa Football, should have lost to UNI in their opening game and needed a miracle to pull it out.

It's fair to say, we don't play our best football on opening day. That being said, the best thing I've heard all fall is the comment from Phil Parker regarding his defensive line. If that holds true, we aren't going to be giving people alot of time to throw the ball and an NFL QB can't throw from his back very well.

Yes on paper seems an easy win but I know how Iowa plays out of the gate each year. Not so good. We are easy to prepare for with our easy to read and predictable O and D. Our execution needs to be spot on or we kinda stink. It's pretty simple.

I'm confident about this game right up to the moment I starting thinking about how a team that won the Orange Bowl, with one of the best defenses in the history of Iowa Football, should have lost to UNI in their opening game and needed a miracle to pull it out.

It's fair to say, we don't play our best football on opening day. That being said, the best thing I've heard all fall is the comment from Phil Parker regarding his defensive line. If that holds true, we aren't going to be giving people alot of time to throw the ball and an NFL QB can't throw from his back very well.

If all it took to win games was an NFL QB, we wouldn't have lost to an FCS squad last year. Iowa wins this game - BOOK IT!!

Last edited:
James Butler played against these guys last season. Wyoming won, but JB had 73 on 14 carries with a TD (he actually had 2 but one was him recovering his own fumble for a TD) and 6 catches for 43 yards.

Coach Bohls always has his team ready to play, an upset is still a possibility. And with their big stud nfl franchise quarterback it might not even be an upset.
"Everybody has a plan...till they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson
I'm gonna predict we get at least three sacks on their big stud QB. He'll be looking out his earhole a couple times and we'll have 'em right where we want them!

Even with those guys in, Iowa had the game. Now it may be a blow out. And frankly, Iowa needs a tough game to wake up after fall camp.

I hear you. But if we continue to play no-blitz and RBs pick up the pass rush, they might still give him enough time. I am just a little nervous since they have 8 months to plan for this game.

I hear you. But if we continue to play no-blitz and RBs pick up the pass rush, they might still give him enough time. I am just a little nervous since they have 8 months to plan for this game.

I don't have the desire to do the research, but I know for a fact Iowa blitzed much more than they ever have last season. The old no blitzing defense appears to be a thing of the past.

James Butler played against these guys last season. Wyoming won, but JB had 73 on 14 carries with a TD (he actually had 2 but one was him recovering his own fumble for a TD) and 6 catches for 43 yards.

huh? If recovers it for the TD, he still gets credit for the TD.

Lost top 3 receivers (2 WR and TE) to graduation. This fall, have lost one of top returning WR and their starting TE to injury (neither season-ending, but sounds like they will miss the opener). Starting a true freshman center. Anyone feeling more confident about this game?
What's the rest of their OL look like?

I don't have the desire to do the research, but I know for a fact Iowa blitzed much more than they ever have last season. The old no blitzing defense appears to be a thing of the past.
No blitzes this year. Our Terror Monster DL will eliminate any need for them.

Yes on paper seems an easy win but I know how Iowa plays out of the gate each year. Not so good. We are easy to prepare for with our easy to read and predictable O and D. Our execution needs to be spot on or we kinda stink. It's pretty simple.

Last couple years Iowa has been a lot better in week 1. Crushed Miami (OH) last year and crushed Illinois State 2 years ago.

Thing I like about week 1 is the players are still jockeying for playing time. So while the playbook might be vanilla, the players aren't taking the opponent lightly...they're trying to secure their playing time.

It is still a defense predicated on getting pressure with its front four.

I think the Wyoming game is a perfect game for this Iowa team to play in the opener. It will be a challenge, but they should control the game.

It is still a defense predicated on getting pressure with its front four.

Sure it is. So is virtually every defense in college football. If the front four can consistently get pressure then they won't blitz as much. If they don't then they will. I'm just saying that they showed last year they're willing to blitz more than they have traditionally.

Sure it is. So is virtually every defense in college football. If the front four can consistently get pressure then they won't blitz as much. If they don't then they will. I'm just saying that they showed last year they're willing to blitz more than they have traditionally.

I think we are saying the same thing just in a different way. Jon/Rob talked about this in a recent podcast. Other than 2013(which they finished 5th) they have finished in the bottom half of the conference in sack totals the last 5years. Imo, it is more important than other schools that they get pressure with their front 4. Iowa doesn't do a lot of stunting, subbing or blitzing. It is usually straight up beating guys with leverage and technique. So when PP made those comments last week I was like,"Wow, wait what?" And then I became genuinely excited because he doesn't seem like the type that is big on hyperbole.

I think we are saying the same thing just in a different way. Jon/Rob talked about this in a recent podcast. Other than 2013(which they finished 5th) they have finished in the bottom half of the conference in sack totals the last 5years. Imo, it is more important than other schools that they get pressure with their front 4. Iowa doesn't do a lot of stunting, subbing or blitzing. It is usually straight up beating guys with leverage and technique. So when PP made those comments last week I was like,"Wow, wait what?" And then I became genuinely excited because he doesn't seem like the type that is big on hyperbole.
When these guys are in together, we're probably gonna see some passes batted down...

Epenesa 6'5"
Lattimore 6'5"
M. Nelson 6'8"
A. Nelson 6'7"

People are missing something.... We have to win and win big or were still just a pretender. If we can't exert our will on little teams like this than we have no business worrying about anything. This is one main reason why the Ferentz era will go down as a mediocre one at best. Face it, it's long long past the era where just getting past little teams like this is satisfactory and I am ok with that. It's time for this coaching staff and some fans to realize this. End rant. That feels better, thank you.

Laying groundwork....just in case.

Perception is reality, full strength or half strength. A loss to Wyoming would be bad. Basically, it would be viewed no different, nationally, than the loss to NDSU was last year.

To me, it's be worse. But, perception is reality.

Win the game, and it's moot.

Latest posts