WTF! Fran just said Josh and Zach were primary options on postgame with Dolph.

He is a div 1 player...he would be perfect for a team like uni. Is he a high level d1? No but he is d1. If he wasn't d1 he wouldn't play at all. Does that mean Kyle Meyer isn't d1 because he doesn't play yet McCabe does. Should McCabe play as much as he did today? No but we were short basabe so the minutes had to go somewhere.

Minutes: Woodbury 17. Oleseni 21. Gesell 22. Uthoff 25. Clemmons 4. Jok 1.

There are plenty of available minutes there if Fran wants to get creative. I would love to see some 3 guard offense especially when Ogelsby is locked in and also if you are going to sit in the zone and allow some open looks. Maybe the additional guard could get out on the open shooter quicker. Rotate Clemmons in more to spell the guards. OR play Woodbury and Oleseni together. See what happens. White is giving you very little these days. Seems oddly frustrated most of the time.

With our depth I would love to see us press more and create more turnovers, keep the tempo up and get the transition game really going. Rotate more guys in like Clemmons and Jok. Play extremely hard for 3-4 minutes and call a couple extra timeouts if necessary. Fran usually ends the game with multiple timeouts. Todaywas the exception with one unused I believe.

We appear to be so lethargic at times (the downside of playing so much zone) and when we can't get it out in the open floor it really becomes advantage opponent.

In the few pre-game interviews I have heard from Fran he always stresses how they want to run the court and really push the ball, but it just doesn't seem like we always know how to accomplish that. Especially against well-coached teams. You would think creating turnovers would be the perfect compliment to that but not when you play so much zone.

We have some really long lean players who are capable of running the floor but those same players kind of struggle in halfcourt sets (Woodbury,Oleseni,White). This is the main reason we struggle in half-court sets in my opinion. Not playing to our strenghs. So when a team forces you into a half-court set either intentionally or by shooting 70% in a half, wouldn't you counter with some in-your- face defense to pick up the pace??

Last edited:
Minutes: Woodbury 17. Oleseni 21. Gesell 22. Uthoff 25. Clemmons 4. Jok 1.

There are plenty of available minutes there if Fran wants to get creative. I would love to see some 3 guard offense especially when Ogelsby is locked in and also if you are going to sit in the zone and allow some open looks. Maybe the additional guard could get out on the open shooter quicker. Rotate Clemmons in more to spell the guards. OR play Woodbury and Oleseni together. See what happens. White is giving you very little these days. Seems oddly frustrated most of the time.

With our depth I would love to see us press more and create more turnovers, keep the tempo up and get the transition game really going. Rotate more guys in like Clemmons and Jok. Play extremely hard for 3-4 minutes and call a couple extra timeouts if necessary. Fran usually ends the game with multiple timeouts. Todaywas the exception with one unused I believe.

We appear to be so lethargic at times (the downside of playing so much zone) and when we can't get it out in the open floor it really becomes advantage opponent.

Woody and olaseni should add up to right around 40 (they got 38). No they shouldn't be out there together as we could lose a lot of the benefits of having both...gabe was struggling on defense and probably should have ceded minutes to woody. If you play them together it would be for very short spurts.

gesell should have had more min but he lost his to oglesby not McCabe. Gesell lost minutes because of gaining a 3rd foul. McCabe was playing the 4. So the two that would take the min are Uthoff and white.

uthoff got more min than he has been lately.

clemmons isn't that great and is the 4th best guard and 3rd best pg on the team.

jok is more of a defensive liability than McCabe or white.

they should have played marble at the 3. Then white and Uthoff at the 4 and some at the 3.

not having basabe messes a lot up as he provides a spark and has really taken to the Reggie Evans role of get rebounds block shots and play hard. We were missing something without him.

Woody and olaseni should add up to right around 40 (they got 38). No they shouldn't be out there together as we could lose a lot of the benefits of having both...gabe was struggling on defense and probably should have ceded minutes to woody. If you play them together it would be for very short spurts.

gesell should have had more min but he lost his to oglesby not McCabe. Gesell lost minutes because of gaining a 3rd foul. McCabe was playing the 4. So the two that would take the min are Uthoff and white.

uthoff got more min than he has been lately.

clemmons isn't that great and is the 4th best guard and 3rd best pg on the team.

jok is more of a defensive liability than McCabe or white.

they should have played marble at the 3. Then white and Uthoff at the 4 and some at the 3.

not having basabe messes a lot up as he provides a spark and has really taken to the Reggie Evans role of get rebounds block shots and play hard. We were missing something without him.

So maybe Gesell shouldn't have lost his minutes?? Wisconsin started with, and played a 3 guard offense for the majority of the game. Why not counter it? McCabe gave us exactly 0 points, 2 rebounds and 5 fouls in 19 minutes. What intangibles did he bring today? Isn't that why Fran plays him? Because it is extremely hard to argue his stats (and not just today's) warrant the playing time he gets.

I am sure I am in the minority but I personally would like to see Clemons play more than 4 minutes per game. Do you realize his assist to turnover ratio is 2 to 1. (50 to 24). Shooting over 50% from field 21-40 and 50% from 3pt range (albeit very few attempts). I say get him more minutes/rotation and today might have been that day. Maybe we should have gone smaller and quicker. ??

I really do wonder if this call was partly to show those fans that called into his show what's up...if that factored into his decision to have McCabe as one of the top two options today...Fran is pathetic.

So maybe Gesell shouldn't have lost his minutes?? Wisconsin started with, and played a 3 guard offense for the majority of the game. Why not counter it? McCabe gave us exactly 0 points, 2 rebounds and 5 fouls in 19 minutes. What intangibles did he bring today? Isn't that why Fran plays him? Because it is extremely hard to argue his stats (and not just today's) warrant the playing time he gets.

I am sure I am in the minority but I personally would like to see Clemons play more than 4 minutes per game. Do you realize his assist to turnover ratio is 2 to 1. (50 to 24). Shooting over 50% from field 21-40 and 50% from 3pt range (albeit very few attempts). I say get him more minutes/rotation and today might have been that day. Maybe we should have gone smaller and quicker. ??

You're not alone here. Sapp started the year off not quite so hot (was a little sloppy with the ball), but for the past month or so he's played very well in his limited minutes. I wish I knew what he was doing/not doing in practice to not get more minutes.

To say McCabe is not a D1 player is simply idiotic. Outside of the ISU game he was playing some of the best basketball on the team in the non conference. When the bright lights come on he falters and Fran should know that and should not have put him in that position. Poor coaching decisions down the stretch for sure. Had he made that shot everyone would be praising him for stepping up and filling a role as a senior. Instead he air balled it and I think he feels worse about it than anyone on this board. So I believe there really is no need to pile on the negativity. The loss stinks, mistakes were made, and the conference title hopes are gone. We are going to find out a heck of a lot about this team the rest of the week. All of that said, I'm going to be upset about that loss for awhile but I'm not gonna let it ruin my excitement for the rest of the games ahead in the next 8 days.
This. Anyone that says McCabe isn't D-I talent is an idiot.

However, I don't think we're going to learn anything new about this team. It's a top 20 team that has potential to make it to the Sweet 16 and that's about it. March Madness is all about surviving a game or two down the stretch. This team can't do that against top tier teams and we shouldn't expect them to do it all of the sudden in March.

This. Anyone that says McCabe isn't D-I talent is an idiot.

However, I don't think we're going to learn anything new about this team. It's a top 20 team that has potential to make it to the Sweet 16 and that's about it. March Madness is all about surviving a game or two down the stretch. This team can't do that against top tier teams and we shouldn't expect them to do it all of the sudden in March.

That, frankly, is why I don't expect this team to get out of the first weekend of the NCAA Tournament. It's very likely that to win two NCAA games, they are going to have to win a tight game against a very good opponent on a neutral floor, and I'm not sure I've seen anything this year that makes me optimistic this will happen. I'm not saying it CAN'T happen. Just not sure it WILL.

Ok, I've thrown down the gauntlet. Now it's up to this team to prove me wrong.

If Fran set up the final play for a 3 pt shot for McCabe I'm stunned.

McCabe is 20-something % 3pt shooter in B1G AND wad 0-1 with 0 pts in this game.

Oglesby, Marble, and Gesell are all superior 3 pt shooters, all had good to great games in process, and all had a Trey in this game. To draw one up for a struggling, cold, shooter in slump is a recipe for an air ball.

That last p,ay is on Fran.

That said, I love the guy, so to me, it proves he is human.
Let's hope he learns from this.

Fran f*^ked up...honestly, in a room with a bunch of friends, I think he'd admit it. He's a players coach, no doubt, and he's going to aggressively back his players publicly and if he believes in them, he's going to give the the opportunity to prove him right. That being said, I'd rather see him be a Coach's coach. I'm not sure Coach K sets up his 5th or 6th best 3 point shooter to take the three in that situation...especially when he hadn't hit anything all night from three. There was no way in hell Oglesthree was going to get that shot, so more than likely it was coming down to the second option, McCabe. The moment was too big and it's not surprising with all the media attention...Zach is feeling the pressure. I get what Fran was doing...but it wasn't a good coaching move...it was personal.

I completely agree that the ball should have been in Gesells hands and he penetrates and gets Marble, or Oglesthree a look...or even Uthoff. You had 13 seconds to work that shot. Gesell penetrates to Marble and he creates or passes again to the open guy for three. We had time.

In this game, two things stood out. The first half was key...we quick shot on several positions again, which has proven to be a big issue for this team when the ball isn't falling. When they run their offense they get things in the flow they shoot better, and either get the foul on something to the basket. You also make Wisky work on defense. The second was the drought at the end of the first half. They had several possession at 36 -29 and went something like 0-9 from the field. We should have been pounding the ball and getting fouls or something at the basket. I'm not sure Fran's willing to jump in for fear he spooks confidence, but I'd have called a timeout after 3-4 of those misses and said, I want everything going to the basket right now. And get your legs under you and go up strong to the damn rim...

There is a possibility that Ryan wanted to leave him wide open, to prevent Josh and Devyn getting screens or the ball, because they would have to take a chance on them making the shot and tying the game or fouling and forcing them to make it from the stripe....

Being that wide open with everyone covered, with no possible pass available, he had to take the shot, or call a TO.....

A miss is a miss and there was no guarantee that another player would have made the shot. I also think that Gesell should have been in the game. He can hit the three and would have drawn coverage leaving Josh, especially, and Devyn open for a pass and shot.....

We don't seem to make last second shots, any player, haven't for a while....

The game shouldn't have come down to the need for a desperate last shot, the mistakes made in the last minute put us in that situation. Still don't understand the no call on Josh getting slammed on his back after making his last shot....

Still don't understand the no call on Josh getting slammed on his back after making his last shot....

The officials let them play the entire game. May see a lot of that officiating philosophy in The Dance. On second thought, it will be most like be inconsistent in the tourney too.

The only coaching experience i had at this point is throwing my cheap lawn chair across the yard . Does this count as a coaching experiences?.
Will this help the team win? Just asking.....

Latest posts